ADVICE, REACTIONS, PUPPY PROBLEM

Right my dog Tilly, is walked everyday, meets new dogs everyday new people new surrondings, always with me, training,playing.walking,chilling, really playfull pup loves all other dogs, go to my girlfriends aunties playing rough with the french mastiff as she always does, go in the other room and tilly jumps up on me, half a sleep, bit later fergie comes in and climbs on top of me to chill, FIRST TIME EVER (APART FROM ROUGH PLAY) HAVE I SEEN THIS, tilly snarled and lept at the dog biting onto the side of the french mastiffs face, i immediatly, broke them up got the french mastiff of me, gave tilly a firm hand and pinned her, then ignored her for a good 15mins as did everyone else, can anyone explain what this is? we obviously think shes jealous, or over protective of me! did i do the right thing, i must tell you all, she loves all dogs and submits to certain dogs, yeh she may play and annoy but that just being a pup, this just was my first big hicup and wanted advice etc etc

atb patrick

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's hard to understand exactly what happened from your explanation but it sounds like you did the right thing. This is classic pack hierarchy behaviour. It's not really jealousy as we understand it b

I agree with skycat she may just have got a fright but id get on top of it incase it turns into something else shes lucky the mastiff rattle her.Mine play in the house since pups been up and about but

good for you bud,and long may it last,dont overdo the recalls, the effectiveness wears on a dog ,keep it for when you need it most, the toughest tests all lie ahead,but if a good understanding develop

Posted Images

It's hard to understand exactly what happened from your explanation but it sounds like you did the right thing. This is classic pack hierarchy behaviour. It's not really jealousy as we understand it but more like a battle over who's going to to establish the best bond with the pack leader (you). In the wild the ones who establish the best bond with the pack leader are the ones who get all the privileges and security. There will always be a stage when a pups will try to to climb the pack order, I allow some dominance behaviour between my dogs and even some aggression in order for them to establish their pack order but they understand that serious aggression/fighting is not allowed. It seems to work for me anyway.

• Like 1

sorry, well in short she was on the sofa with me and then the other dog joined in, and climbed on, my puppy then went for the other dog but with real agression and not play, theyre always playing rough so i dont no if it was a final dominance thing or what not!

If the dog jumped up on you Pad , the pup might of felt you or her were threatened , if it was jealousy , make a fuss of other dogs in front of her and check any aggresive behaviour , but don,t overdo it , it,s natural that she will be a bit put out . her dam was very jealous and if I stroked an other dog too long she would grip my arm ( gently ) and pull it away ATB

Don't forget she was half asleep, from what you said. A dog asleep or half asleep goes into primitive defence mode when woken up suddenly, and attacks in self defence. I I see it with my own dogs: dogs which would tolerate the presence of another dog next to them, touching them, whilst awake, may react completely differently when suddenly woken up.

I'm not saying that this is the reason, but worth considering if she is normally fine with the other dog.

Of course, it is completely possible that the pup is getting ideas of her own. She may see the mastiff as 'her play thing', a dog of no consequence, something to be roughed up and messed with..........if the mastiff allows very rough play then Tilly will see that as a sign that she, Tilly, is boss of the mastiff. Most pups will exhaust the 'puppy licence' by a certain age, usually around 4-5 months of age, and the older dogs will become suddenly less tolerant of puppy tantrums and aggressive behaviour. BUT if that dog has a very high pain threshold and doesn't react to being bitten hard in play, this actually encourages the pup to think that it can run the show.

If the pup is playing hard and rough with the mastiff and the mastiff doesn't tell her off, then you may need to step in and calm things down. Tilly also probably sees the mastiff as a bit of an outsider, not from the same 'pack' as you and her, so something to be put in its place if it comes into your space. If I have a pup which oversteps the mark, gets silly hyper and aggressive whilst playing, I pick it up and put it in a crate or kennel and give it 'time out': time to calm down and realise that really aggressive playfighting isn't allowed. The more you allow this aggressive play, the more the pup believes it can run the show, and the more you're likely to have problems at a later stage.

Right my dog Tilly, is walked everyday, meets new dogs everyday new people new surrondings, always with me, training,playing.walking,chilling, really playfull pup loves all other dogs, go to my girlfriends aunties playing rough with the french mastiff as she always does, go in the other room and tilly jumps up on me, half a sleep, bit later fergie comes in and climbs on top of me to chill, FIRST TIME EVER (APART FROM ROUGH PLAY) HAVE I SEEN THIS, tilly snarled and lept at the dog biting onto the side of the french mastiffs face, i immediatly, broke them up got the french mastiff of me, gave tilly a firm hand and pinned her, then ignored her for a good 15mins as did everyone else, can anyone explain what this is? we obviously think shes jealous, or over protective of me! did i do the right thing, i must tell you all, she loves all dogs and submits to certain dogs, yeh she may play and annoy but that just being a pup, this just was my first big hicup and wanted advice etc etc

atb patrick

there's a few things you mention would give me cause for concern,,firstly, been in the house must be seen as down time to the mutt,,if you have a dog that thinks the house is a play area the same as another dog see's a field, your going to have trouble in the house,,inside rest and chill, outside play,,it will cut out a whole heap of unwanted behavior in the home if the dog gets used to coming in and just lying down ,they need that downtime too ,

some people have dogs on the sofa's, beds whatever, i dont like how it effects them, its where a lot of folk run into real big problems, some dont ,but its not worth it ,you may think your been nice and kind to the dog but your letting him take liberty's with you

,sleeping areas and protection of, are one of the biggies in the canine mind,,

you need to give the mutt some down time from you,,as you say you go everywhere do everything together,,before long the mutt is going to see your as half of her whole self and respond accordingly when on her own ,get her used to her own skin ,her own company,

i wouldn't worry a jot about the original issue,she not a aggressive dog ,she just acted instinctively, but i would try to wean her of you and furniture, your just making a problem now that will occur later,,

ps if you want to take bunnies from her mouth as i expect you do later ,dont correct her using your hand bud,,think about it,

Edited by Casso

atb patrick

there's a few things you mention would give me cause for concern,,firstly, been in the house must be seen as down time to the mutt,,if you have a dog that thinks the house is a play area the same as another dog see's a field, your going to have trouble in the house,,inside rest and chill, outside play,,it will cut out a whole heap of unwanted behavior in the home if the dog gets used to coming in and just lying down ,they need that downtime too ,

some people have dogs on the sofa's, beds whatever, i dont like how it effects them, its where a lot of folk run into real big problems, some dont ,but its not worth it ,you may think your been nice and kind to the dog but your letting him take liberty's with you

you need to give the mutt some down time from you,,as you say you go everywhere do everything together,,before long the mutt is going to see your as half of her whole self and respond accordingly when on her own ,get her used to her own skin ,her own company,

i wouldn't worry a jot about the original issue,she not a aggressive dog ,she just acted instinctively, but i would try to wean her of you and furniture, your just making a problem now that will occur later,,

ps if you want to take bunnies from her mouth as i expect you do later ,dont correct her using your hand bud,,think about it,

thanks for the reply but next time i have a big mastiff that goes straight back for the puppy and im watching the grudge 2 on my sofa ill go find something first, :tongue2: it was litrelly a quick natural reaction i had to at the time or the importance of her being told of wud have been gone, she does stay on the sofa sometimes or the bedroom, but when in my own house, ill have her on the rug unless i want her to come up, its hard when the other dog is also been allowed on the coach, i think we should be okay and was just a one off and tbh i think your all correct in the fact how the puppy plays with the mastiff and when the mastiff tries to tell her off she doesnt take it and gives as good as she gets, but other dogs can easily tell her off and often she will listen

Edited by THLpatrick

Don't forget she was half asleep, from what you said. A dog asleep or half asleep goes into primitive defence mode when woken up suddenly, and attacks in self defence. I I see it with my own dogs: dogs which would tolerate the presence of another dog next to them, touching them, whilst awake, may react completely differently when suddenly woken up.

I'm not saying that this is the reason, but worth considering if she is normally fine with the other dog.

Of course, it is completely possible that the pup is getting ideas of her own. She may see the mastiff as 'her play thing', a dog of no consequence, something to be roughed up and messed with..........if the mastiff allows very rough play then Tilly will see that as a sign that she, Tilly, is boss of the mastiff. Most pups will exhaust the 'puppy licence' by a certain age, usually around 4-5 months of age, and the older dogs will become suddenly less tolerant of puppy tantrums and aggressive behaviour. BUT if that dog has a very high pain threshold and doesn't react to being bitten hard in play, this actually encourages the pup to think that it can run the show.

If the pup is playing hard and rough with the mastiff and the mastiff doesn't tell her off, then you may need to step in and calm things down. Tilly also probably sees the mastiff as a bit of an outsider, not from the same 'pack' as you and her, so something to be put in its place if it comes into your space. If I have a pup which oversteps the mark, gets silly hyper and aggressive whilst playing, I pick it up and put it in a crate or kennel and give it 'time out': time to calm down and realise that really aggressive playfighting isn't allowed. The more you allow this aggressive play, the more the pup believes it can run the show, and the more you're likely to have problems at a later stage.

shes rough with my elder dog and he cant tell her off so iv started to step in, however other dogs can tell her and she will listen, it was out of character but i just wanted to check

I agree with skycat she may just have got a fright but id get on top of it incase it turns into something else shes lucky the mastiff rattle her.Mine play in the house since pups been up and about but theres limits and i do occassionally step in most of the time though my bitch checks the pup and they all begger off and go to sleep when she steps in lol.My bitch is so jealous if im clapping "a strange dog" even mates dogs she tries to climb up in between me and the other dog and shove it out the way she used to growl but i tobered that so now the worst she does is push them away

• Like 1

If the dog jumped up on you Pad , the pup might of felt you or her were threatened , if it was jealousy , make a fuss of other dogs in front of her and check any aggresive behaviour , but don,t overdo it , it,s natural that she will be a bit put out . her dam was very jealous and if I stroked an other dog too long she would grip my arm ( gently ) and pull it away ATB

yeah it could of been anything, jus got a shock first time i seen her go and lock on for a second or 2, paniced more than anything" sure itll be fine

atb patrick

i didnt say this before but she does stay at home sometimes when i cant be there and what not, but is with me alot, just a freek occasion i think thanks for the advice

I agree with skycat she may just have got a fright but id get on top of it incase it turns into something else shes lucky the mastiff rattle her.Mine play in the house since pups been up and about but theres limits and i do occassionally step in most of the time though my bitch checks the pup and they all begger off and go to sleep when she steps in lol.My bitch is so jealous if im clapping "a strange dog" even mates dogs she tries to climb up in between me and the other dog and shove it out the way she used to growl but i tobered that so now the worst she does is push them away

i break it up in the house as my whippets a shit bag and wont tell her, shes submitts onto her back for plenty of dogs, just this worried me abit as i didnt want another problem dog

All pups play too rough and can be annoying little twats to another dog Donuts got a gold star certificate in it lol.She will take a telling from flint and other dogs the thing i have to watch is Flint reared the pups for weeks after mum gave in and Flint sees Donut as her pup and is instinctevly defensive of her which i do try to tober as well to a certain degree and Flint will now allow other dogs to play with Donut but i think if Donut got slapped by another Flint wouldnt handle it well so im careful.I think what you did might have done the trick for the fact it was done instantly and there and then if you know what i mean.