Terrier breeding genetics

HI all ive just hadmy pups born .

i bred a 95% white bitch to a red dog...

i got blk-tan, blk, liver over black and red cant think how that worked

reverted to the lakeland i guess ,i no the bitch has laky blood in her but really far back...

what do u boys think ...i was shore i was guna get some whites if not 1/2 colurs.

so correct me if im rong ,im keeping a bitch and dog for myself would these carry the white gene and if mated to a white dog, pups would come out white .....ish..

What does it matter as long as they work?!

it must matter to him otherwise he would`nt be asking -- everyone knows it really dont matter if it works -- genetics is an interesting subject when you get into it .. but if you dont know this site is a good place to learn ...
  • Like 2

so correct me if im rong ,im keeping a bitch and dog for myself would these carry the white gene and if mated to a white dog, pups would come out white .....ish..

What does it matter as long as they work?!

it must matter to him otherwise he would`nt be asking -- everyone knows it really dont matter if it works -- genetics is an interesting subject when you get into it .. but if you dont know this site is a good place to learn ...

what does it matter if they work ..........................................

well they should work cant remeber any ive had that dont aint about long enough to remeber them .. each mans got his ideas of what he wants and what better way then to breed what u want..circles i walk in you dont see many white lacky types ... all red and blk and tan stuf and some pats ....

HI all ive just hadmy pups born .

i bred a 95% white bitch to a red dog...

i got blk-tan, blk, liver over black and red cant think how that worked

reverted to the lakeland i guess ,i no the bitch has laky blood in her but really far back...

what do u boys think ...i was shore i was guna get some whites if not 1/2 colurs.

probably the red dog had no white gene in him-id say your pups would throw all whith if bred to white.

white is a recessive gene like some else stated, so im guessin the red dog had no white gene, if that is that case you will never get white pups, now however all the pups will now carry the white gene. and if they are bred to a white dog you should get a 50/50 chance of a pup being white, and if you breed them to another dog that carries the white gene but isnt itself whote the chances will be 25%

that is when one colour is dominant over another e.g. black over white, but if your dealing with more then one colour i.e. black and tan, white and tan etc then your talking about co-dominant genes which are even more complicated, but it is a very interesting subject.

Edited by Jordb543

Genetics in its simplist form is that a dog has inherited one gene from each parent.

For a terrier to express (show) white it must have 2 white genes (ww) as white is recessive and any color genes get expressed over the white genes.

(ww) will express white

(cc) will express color

(cw) will express color

The first cross of a white (ww) to a dog that has only color genes (cc) will produce all (cw) non white dogs.

Cross the (cw) terrier back to (ww) and you will mathematically have half (cw) colored and half (ww) white dogs.

As we all know in breeding mathematics don't always get expressed in a orderly manner or we would always get an even split between males and females in each litter.

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...

hi bredtohunt.

i got a white russell type dog to cover a dark brindle bitch i had.

the pups came black n tan and tan.

no white.

not that it bothers me. a good dog was never a bad colour.

just interested in genetic side off breeding.

could you explain why no whites.

atb,j.

your not just working on one thing, you've got pied and self genes, then you've got how each color works' was the russel type a pied with black and tan, there's a ton of books out there people are not reading, as long as they

hi glyn.

the russell type was tri coloured.

atb,j.