what lamp

getting my 1st lamp for purposely lamping with the dogs . think light force but what size and is the dimmer switch worth it ????

i bought the lightforce 170 with a 10amp lithion ion battery last year,best move i ever made and found it also puts considerably more game in the bag as well :thumbs:

never felt the need for a dimmer myself may look into it in the future

Edited by watchman

with the blitz the beam it still thin like a pencil but the spill is huge and bright on them. the spill lights the field up quite alot

Is a lot of spill a good or bad thing?

Frank Sheardown in "The Lurcher training and hunting" says "a narrow beam is not the best in which to run a rabbit".

He apparently prefers a 55w lamp of 250,000 cp with a 6.5 amp/hr battery. I'm thinking of buying a Tracer 140 50w with

a 8amp li ion battery or would you good people suggest a different set up, its just for rabbits with a beddy/whippet.

Guest born to run1083

with the blitz the beam it still thin like a pencil but the spill is huge and bright on them. the spill lights the field up quite alot

Is a lot of spill a good or bad thing?

Frank Sheardown in "The Lurcher training and hunting" says "a narrow beam is not the best in which to run a rabbit".

He apparently prefers a 55w lamp of 250,000 cp with a 6.5 amp/hr battery. I'm thinking of buying a Tracer 140 50w with

a 8amp li ion battery or would you good people suggest a different set up, its just for rabbits with a beddy/whippet.

thing is mate there's so many variables but remember the lightforces have a focus or flood beam you twist the end to suit your requirements. then when your dogs trained to a higher ability the thinner the beam the better so you don't light the way up for the rabbit. to help pick the type of lamp you go for you have to take field size in to account if your fields are small to medium then lance 140 is fine , medium to large then the striker (striker most versitile lamp) blitz great for large fields. i would stay clear of the deban tracers lamps just not bright enough or have the range really even for rabbits,I would recommend the variable power tho as you can adjust the power to suit requirements, helps to sneak on squatters. size of battery also depends on the lamp you pick. the larger the lamp (watt of bulb) the more the drain obviously, so really you have to pick the lamp that suits the way you hunt and then get the battery according. one of the main reason I like lightforce striker is there so versatile I havnt been any where up or down the country where the beam isn't sufficient enough. the only prob is there wiring can be dodgy worth quick rewire doesn't cost any extra to do and very straight forward. sorry for the drawn out reply lol

i found by blitz had a much tighter beam than my 170. and the spill was better

Edited by hullhunter
Guest born to run1083

wierd that one then lol ive used lightforce for years and never had it like that lol thats what the thick bit around the lamp on the 170 and 140 is for to control spill blitz doesnt have it hence 99% times the spill is worste on the blitz

wierd that one then lol ive used lightforce for years and never had it like that lol thats what the thick bit around the lamp on the 170 and 140 is for to control spill blitz doesnt have it hence 99% times the spill is worste on the blitz

well i did get my 170 second hand and the 240 new so that could have something to do with it. but my 240 has a much tighter beam and hardly no spill compared to my 170

Edited by hullhunter