help and thoughts on fencing please.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt read all the replies so if Im repeating myself sorry- I've been in fixed and installed fox/coyote pens. 2X4 welded wire 6ft tall and about 12 inchs at the top is bent in and 12inchs at the bottom is bent in. This stops the climbers and diggers. There is also a hot wire ran at the bottom and top. The poles used are 4" round usally.

i have three patts and i have a 15m x 10m garden and a 4 feet high green chain link fence they soon climbed so i put i strand of electric tape 5 or 6 inchs from the ground about 6 inchs from the fence takes 2 x d cells lasts about a week on 24/7 the dogs all take 1 or if they are realy stupid 2 shocks and they learn once the cells run flat the dogs have allready learn't so no need to replace them the tape is about £10 for 250 meters and the unit is about £40 or £50 pounds i even place the tape around things i dont want them into it works great

waist of time and money, just walk the little b*****ds and theyl be fine in kennals for rest of day, they dont need to be just sat in a field all day :blink:

JMO :thumbs:

i wouldnt spend thousands for terriers to mess around all day and f##k up the garden,hunting and recovering in the kennels is the best option.

just dig holes about ten metres apart put in 8ft high 4x4 wooden posts down in concrete ,dig a trench the with of a spade(4 inches) between the posts about 8 inches deep,then u-nail the diamond shaped wire to the posts, with the end in the trench covered in with concrete.a bit of work but a cheap way of doing it,maybe plant a hedge against it if you want.

Thanks this is doable

just dig holes about ten metres apart put in 8ft high 4x4 wooden posts down in concrete ,dig a trench the with of a spade(4 inches) between the posts about 8 inches deep,then u-nail the diamond shaped wire to the posts, with the end in the trench covered in with concrete.a bit of work but a cheap way of doing it,maybe plant a hedge against it if you want.

Thanks this is doable

no problem, :thumbs: i dread to think how much professionals would charge

Ive got a fencing contractor coming in to do a small area which is costing £500. and then over the next few months i will get the field fenced off with post rail and with chain fence behind. This will go along a hedge so will be very secure. Thank you all for your posts its been really informative and i will keep reading any other suggestions. Its just nice to know that you can let them run in the field and be secure and able to have some fun let down time. Oh and yes pardon my ignorance but what is cut down Harris?

Ive got a fencing contractor coming in to do a small area which is costing £500. and then over the next few months i will get the field fenced off with post rail and with chain fence behind. This will go along a hedge so will be very secure. Thank you all for your posts its been really informative and i will keep reading any other suggestions. Its just nice to know that you can let them run in the field and be secure and able to have some fun let down time. Oh and yes pardon my ignorance but what is cut down Harris?

harris security fence its about 8 ft tall cut down make you double the height n length :thumbs: 500 qd would have got you all your matrerials .. Edited by the_stig

I have a small field that i want to fence to keep my patterdales in but allow them to have some freedom time instead of in the kennels when they are not walking or working. I am thinking of chain link that is also dug into the ground to stop them digging out, anyone else done anything like this and what height to prevent them jumping out?

Is there any other type of fencing that you would recommend?

Anyone on here that is a fencing contractor in Devon that would like to quote me a price pm me if your interested please?

No daft or idiot replies please.

i have 10 rolls of 6 foot chain link going cheap if you need pm me thumbs.gif

I will pm you.

Stig, circumstances sometimes dictate things and due to health we were unable to go out and do fencing but as we are now both recovering we will be able to fence a little at a time, i agree with you and breaks my heart to have to pay someone to do the job.