• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best thing to do would be wean the pups off...get the bitch spayed/tits looked at at the same time...then we,ll see if you hold the bitch in the same light when you know you cant get a litter off her.

well if you leave them alone and it all goes wrong you could loose your bitch as well as the pups.Ive always watched them and helped them if needed gave the whippet a load more help than i would have

The thing to watch out for is if the bitch still has pups inside her but stops pushing. Overweight, unfit or older bitches sometimes get tired. Some breeds are what is known as slow whelpers, but ther

Posted Images

Good thing you kept an eye on her :thumbs: I don't know what some people are thinking to just leave a bitch while she's in labour :blink: It would be a good idea to have a feel of her stomach just in case there's any still in her. She will be bleeding for a few days but it should taper off. skycat and moll are usually good with advice if you need any. Best of luck with the bitch and pups.

The thing to watch out for is if the bitch still has pups inside her but stops pushing. Overweight, unfit or older bitches sometimes get tired. Some breeds are what is known as slow whelpers, but there shouldn't be more than an hour between pups in a normal whelping, except in rare cases.

You should be able to see/feel if there are more pups still to come: and the bitch might rest between pups for a while, but if she is having very weak contractions, seems very tired, there could be a puppy stuck in the birth canal. No amount of advice on the internet can help in real life situations. I'm afraid that experience is the only helpful thing here. If you think there are more pups but the bitch has stopped having contractions then you need to get her to the vet.

Sometimes the uterus shuts down and can't push any more: uterine inertia. Sometimes the vet will give injections of oxytocin which will stimulate the uterus to start contracting again, sometimes they don't work and the bitch needs a C section. Each case is individual. If in doubt or worried, get her to the vet. Sometimes just the fact of going in a vehicle on a trip may start things up again, sometimes not.

Whatever you do: it's not worth taking chances with the life of the bitch and her pups. And the people who say let her get on with it: well, even wild animals sometimes die in labour: not a pleasant way to go.

• Like 3
Guest joball

Pmsl next they'll be talling you to hold her paw next and put her favourate song on :laugh:

Ffs its a dog, i wreckin half the time the bitch ends up in the vets is coz the owner interfereing

• Like 2

Pmsl next they'll be talling you to hold her paw next and put her favourate song on :laugh:

Ffs its a dog, i wreckin half the time the bitch ends up in the vets is coz the owner interfereing

With you mentality I'd be surprised your dogs last long enough to make seasoned workers or do you just use them for shows and stud? If you want money for the pups you should care if they are breathing at birth and you can't breed next year from a dead bitch so it's in your best interest ££££ to pay attention to your investment. :thumbs:

It's not about interfering, it's about sitting quietly by so you know your bitch and the pups are ok and don't need help, and being there to help if needed. Plus for me it was a total pleasure to watch my bitch give birth - she was calm and efficient and a brilliant dam and I was delighted to be there from the beginning with her. You've got no soul :D

• Like 2

skycat and moll are usually good with advice if you need any. Best of luck with the bitch and pups.

Keep me out of this one FTB :D .... If it were a ewe, no problem at all, arm up and whip them out :laugh:

Never bred a dog in my life :D

skycat and moll are usually good with advice if you need any. Best of luck with the bitch and pups.

Keep me out of this one FTB :D .... If it were a ewe, no problem at all, arm up and whip them out :laugh:

Never bred a dog in my life :D

I guess if it was your bitch it would be better if you weren't in the room :icon_eek:

It's about the welfare of your dog mate :thumbs:

I'm surprised some people are allowed to breed dogs let alone have kids :doh:

Edited by pegleg33

It's about the welfare of your dog mate :thumbs:

I'm surprised some people are allowed to breed dogs let alone have kids :doh:

What is? Getting it stressed up to the nineties by kissing and cuddling it while trying to get it into the birthing pool. :doh:

Let them get on with it and monitor them from afar every half hour or so.

As soon as you see any sign of difficulties that is when to intervene.

FTB

• Like 1

I wonder how long the list of f*****g retards on here actually is in real life? :hmm:

At any one time, one in six adults in the UK is living with a mental health problem.

There are 35,327 members here, so roughly 7850 of the members on here need help :laugh: :laugh: :icon_eek:

• Like 2