BRNO 22LR Barrel Shortening

Hi just waiting for my licence to come so in the mean time I put a deposit on a BRNO 2E Bolt action 22LR rifle. It was going quite cheep and looks to be in good condition, so should be ok for my first field gun I hope.

Anyway its quite long, how would it be effected if I was to have the barrel shortened then re-screw cut to take a moderator again?

Is this a bad idea? if not anyone now a good but low cost gunsmith around the yorkshire area that could do it for me?

Also does anyone own a similar rifle and what do you think of it?

And my final question is the moderator thats on it is quite basic im told can anyone recomend another?

Thanks All

Hi.

Cut it down to 14 inches, rethread and recrown, you'll be amazed how it will handle.

There's a gun smith in Brighouse who will do it at the right money(he used to be at Kirklees Guns but he's on his own now) Just google it and you'll find it.

DD

Hi.

Cut it down to 14 inches, rethread and recrown, you'll be amazed how it will handle.

There's a gun smith in Brighouse who will do it at the right money(he used to be at Kirklees Guns but he's on his own now) Just google it and you'll find it.

DD

Thanks mate

Hi.

DD

Thanks mate

Just remember that technically speaking it will no longer be in proof if you intend selling it in the future.

Hi just waiting for my licence to come so in the mean time I put a deposit on a BRNO 2E Bolt action 22LR rifle. It was going quite cheep and looks to be in good condition, so should be ok for my first field gun I hope.

Anyway its quite long, how would it be effected if I was to have the barrel shortened then re-screw cut to take a moderator again?

Is this a bad idea? if not anyone now a good but low cost gunsmith around the yorkshire area that could do it for me?

And my final question is the moderator thats on it is quite basic im told can anyone recomend another?

Thanks All

You don't say what your budget is? The rifle you're buying is perfectly good as it is with the factory length barrel.

Why spend money on cutting down a BRNO (and probably reducing it's sell on value).

Look just use it as it is with the moderator that came with it, then if you have the cash and want to upgrade get something

'better' at a later date when YOU have some experience and are better prepared to make a choice.

.22's are pretty unbreakable and generally very good, just try it and see?

AndyF

Hi.

DD

think its called arron johnson in brighouse. looks like a good shop and is well stocked

The other day I was in getting ammo for my brno and the guy in the store was trying to convince me to do the same with mine after a long debate I went against him but what makes it even better a few weeks earlier my brother was in getting ammo for a 22magnum and the sane guy tried the same with him so does it any effect on the gun.

Edited by shroughan

Thanks All

You don't say what your budget is? The rifle you're buying is perfectly good as it is with the factory length barrel.

Why spend money on cutting down a BRNO (and probably reducing it's sell on value).

Look just use it as it is with the moderator that came with it, then if you have the cash and want to upgrade get something

'better' at a later date when YOU have some experience and are better prepared to make a choice.

.22's are pretty unbreakable and generally very good, just try it and see?

AndyF

That makes a lot of sense, get some experience and then make some decisions! :thumbs:

I bought a 2e when I started keeping over 25 years ago. I still have it and apart from one visit to the gunsmith with a worn extractor claw it has never been any trouble It has a bolt that looks as strong as my rem.700 and is in first class condition. I believe they are the gamekeepers working rifle. I have seen one shortened and I can understand that if you intend to fit a moderator. Mine is as I bought it and it and I still have the cabinate that I got at the time as with the mod I could not get it in anything else.

That said I would not alter it as I like to keep it original and it has never let me down.

Mark

Guest john5

The other day I was in getting ammo for my brno and the guy in the store was trying to convince me to do the same with mine after a long debate I went against him but what makes it even better a few weeks earlier my brother was in getting ammo for a 22magnum and the sane guy tried the same with him so does it any effect on the gun.

the guy just likes taking money and keeping himself in work :thumbdown: