whats the most common?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have 3 gills at the moment 2 sisters then got the 3rd about 2 years later i only like to use gills. ill stagger the ages hopefully ill always have some experienced gills to teach the new comers as the years go on and as you start to lose or retire any i can house about 10 in the ferret court. well thats the plan anyway

one hob..........

Its enough for me i only get out once or twice a week from sept -feb, and the biggest warren i ferret only has 70 holes, he keeps my contract at the butcher supplied with the 40 a week they want.....so he does me.....i wonder sometimes why folk keep so many ferrets

Thats a hard worked ferret bud :thumbs: 70 holers are big for one ferret to cover though,, maybe you could up the contract to 60 a week with 2 ferrets lol

ATB

I THINK IT IS DOWN TO HOW MUCH USE ONE HAS FOR THE AMOUNT THEY KEEP. AT THE MOMENT I HAVE I OLDISH POLECAT HOB AND 6 POLCAT JILLS. THEY ARE ALL RELATED AND EXTREMELY TAME. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN BRED BY MYSELF WHICH IS A GOOD THING I THINK... IN THE LATE 7O'S AND EARLY 8O,S I DID BREED AROUND 60 I YEAR BUT TO BE HONEST THAT WAS MAINLY JILLS THAT I USED FOR 'RATTING' WHICH ONE CAN GET THROUGH QUITE EASILY WHEN WORKING THE JILLS ON RATS DUE TO GETTING BITTEN AND KNOCKED ABOUT.HOWEVER, AFTER THE JILLS BECAME MORE AQUAINTED WITH SUCH ADVERSARY THEY SOON DECIDED ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH! SO RATS CONTRIBUTED ALOT FOR THE FERRETS DIET. FOR MYSELF YOU CANNOT BEAT MEAT DUE TO IT BEING THEIR NATURAL FOOD SOURCE. I HAVE FED ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF FLESH. HEDGEHOGS, RATS, SQUIRRELS, PIGEON, RABBITS AND ESPECIALLY FOX MEAT. FOX MEAT IS GREAT FOR BANGING ON WEIGHT! SOME PEOPLE SWEAR BY DRY FERRET MEAL AND THEY FEED IT DUE TO KEEPING FLIES AT BAY. I SUPPOSE IF ONE HAS ALOT OF PERMISSION TO HUNT ON THEY THEN WILL NEED MORE FERRETS.

MY BEST REGARDS. DOCTOR DOLITTLE.

i have 2 teams of 5 gills 1 snipped hob.first team are old veterans 7-13,second lot apart from hob last years kits[unworked yet] to bring on this season.also got 3 gills and a entire hob which were found in a bad way and brought to me as they do,1 of the gills came to be brought out of season,but the lad did not come back for it.

I have 3 jill kits and 1 hob. all between 7.5-9 weeks old.

2 albino jill sisters

1 poley cross jill

1 silver hob

planning to work them all as my friend has a large farm with several warrens so there's never not enough work to be done!

was considering breeding one a year and getting the other two taken out of season by a vasectomised male.

also my mate has a albino hob which is a great worker so may consider getting a litter of kits off that!

just gonna see how it goes really, if we get a really good worker; we'll breed of it.. if not then it'll just be kept as a pet.