Preferred Calibre

Have .177 and.22 find to many runners with .177 never with.22. I use bis mags 10.5gr.in .177 and still get runners all with brain shots

Thanks villaman, that's my worry to be honest. I think I'll stick with what I know and stay with the .22, just need to really get to grips with my aim points past 35 yards. I know I can pull the shots off if condtions are perfect and I'm confident in my set up. I did a quick video a few months ago and put up on YouTube just for the hell of it.

My maximum hunting distance in perfect conditions with a bipod is 50 meters - I always set this limit for myself and use a laser range finder before taking the shot, but since I changed to AA Filed I really need to do some more experimenting and calculate the pellet's BC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ql3T0n77M

Edited by Elliott

Silly idea here but I think you need to swoop over to Hawke (geddit???) and get the Chairgun and BRC program, I take it you have chrono data for your guns (ie you know what foot pound energy it makes with your chosen pellets)... Feed it in and get to know where your pellets will land. Both the Moles use BRC and Chairgun data, kills at distances of 61 metres...

Chairgun Download

BRC Download

It not only covers Hawke scopes but also other scopes as well (mil dot, 30/30 etc). Download it and have a go!

Silly idea here but I think you need to swoop over to Hawke (geddit???) and get the Chairgun and BRC program, I take it you have chrono data for your guns (ie you know what foot pound energy it makes with your chosen pellets)... Feed it in and get to know where your pellets will land. Both the Moles use BRC and Chairgun data, kills at distances of 61 metres...

Chairgun Download

BRC Download

It not only covers Hawke scopes but also other scopes as well (mil dot, 30/30 etc). Download it and have a go!

Thanks secretagentmole, I have chairgun and fed my chrono details into that to form the mapped mil dots on my Viper, which is supposed to be a true mildot at x10 magnification. The clarity of the Viper far outweighs my 3-9x40 Map 6 that I had on my HW100 previously, but isn't 'as compatible' with the software as the Hawke, for obvious reasons. I think a good session on a calm day and I'll be able to map my own ;) but the data from chairgun has given me a head start :thumbs: just not as accurate as I'd hoped

Edited by Elliott

As has been said many times before, caliber's not the issue, shot placement is :thumbs:

I use a .177 Diana 52 (broken at the moment :cry: ), a .20 HW90 and a .22 King Ratty. I've never had any problems with any caliber so long as I do my bit well but if I had to choose I'd go for the smaller calibers with a sub 12ft-lb gun. The Diana's my tool of choice (when it's not broken :cry::cry::( ) but I've been very pleased with the results I've been getting with .20.

A lot of folks call it a compromise, but it's not. It's just different to the other two. I don't count .25, it's rubbish. Unless you're shooting rats at close range. Each to their own.

Cheers.

PS.... Nice shot there, Elliot :thumbs:

i use a .177 hw100tk with aa fields, thats putting out 11 - 11.2 ft/lbs and i have only ever had a few kicks from back legs trying to get back to hole but failed :gunsmilie:

i have never tried a .22 for hunting so i cannot compare but my mil-dots are really easy and to be honest i rarely miss (nowadays)

i have an mtc scope also and my crosshair is set to 30m zero and 1 mil H/O is 40m and 2 mil H/O is 50m which is the max i shoot. nice and easy.

atb

scott

Hi Elliot,

Im afraid that using Chairgun with a MTC Mamba will not be a 100% or damn close to 100% match buddy.

The SCB reticle is not accounted for in Chairgun hence your misses at longer ranges.

To get a proper parabolic trajectory chart of your combo you will need to shoot out the trajectory errors at each range.

Si

Edited by zini