hi guys and girls im after a bit of help and advice please on magpie control, i have a large farm that wants the magpies controlling, what would be the best way of doing this, they are never seen in the fields only in trees and on the edge of the driveway, i was thinking of staking out a shot rabbit and laying in wait with my .22lr but im open to options and any advice would be greatly appreciated

best regards

adam

they are never seen in the fields only in trees and on the edge of the driveway, i was thinking of staking out a shot rabbit and laying in wait with my .22lr but im open to options and any advice would be greatly appreciated

best regards

adam

Unless the farm is completely isolated with nothing else around , within a radius of about 2 miles , Your best option in my opinion would be to use an Air Rifle. The .22lr bullet can travel for a distance of over a mile if shot up in the air , and if the target was missed , who knows where the bullet would end up. Another problem with the .22lr is they tend to ricochet a lot , and can be dangerous :blink:

Why not put a dead rabbit in a trap , and you never know , you may even catch a few crows as well.

John :thumbs:

Edited by mjr88

cheers guys, with regards to the .22lr i would never shoot into the sky i ment as they landed, also with a larsen trap you have to use a live song bird but how would i catch one of these, also do you think the dead rabbit trick would work, sorry if these seem simple questions, i just have not had any experience with magpies realy before

cheers guys, with regards to the .22lr i would never shoot into the sky i ment as they landed, also with a larsen trap you have to use a live song bird but how would i catch one of these, also do you think the dead rabbit trick would work, sorry if these seem simple questions, i just have not had any experience with magpies realy before

its not a songbird you need mate its a call bird, basically one of the same species youre targeting. you can either ask any keepers you know if they would lend you one until you catch one of your own (this is unlikely to happen though :whistling: ), or put bait in both sides of the trap and jam the doors open for a few days until they get used to going in and feeding then set both sides and you should get one, maybe two if your lucky. keep moving the trap around every few days and make sure the call bird has sufficient water and food. Good Luck !!!

atb

Alan.

Lay a Dead rabbit with guts hanging out somewhere where they can see it then hide up with an air rifle. Once you get one magpie, hundreds of others will come in and you`ll soon get the numbers up.

Alternatively you can use mince beef, or even some eggs - crack one of the eggs open.

Sound advice there lads. Yep, leave a rabbit out with it's belly split open, that'll bring them in. Shoot one and another two will come to it's funeral. If you can get up above them, ie, shooting down at them from a barn or other farm building, that'll be safer with a rimmy. Also a larsen baited will catch them. A ladder trap? A large multi catch trap with a ladder structure across it's centre at the top. A keeper friend has one on the moor mainly for crows. The birds can drop into them but can't get back out due to the structure. Very handy.

just to add onto what has been already said it might be a good idea to pin your rabbit to the ground with wire etc. as l once had a black backed seagull land next to my bait rabbit, pick it up in its beak and fly away with it before l could register what was going on.thumbs.gif

cheers Callum

a plastic decoy magpie can work.....if some egg shells are placed in front of it to make it look like its found a nest.....also heard that rattling a box of matches works....never had success with that but have shot a few to teh decoy (that was set out on teh edge of a decoy pattern of pigeon decoys)