Your thoughts please

I have recently moved house,so I have had to send my certificates off for the change of address. My old constabulary were West Midlands my new constabulary are Thames Valley. I have 2 shotguns and 1 rifle .17 hmr which I use for vermin control. The firearms officer has just informed me that I cannot use my rifle for fox. He said fox are not classed as vermin !! The conditions on my license are,

The holder of this certificate may possess,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition,or the missiles of such ammunition in .17 hmr authorised by this certificate and may use such ammunition only in connection with vermin control

The .17 hmr rifle and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall only be used for vermin control and for zeroing on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained. The firearm(s) may also be used for zeroing at a range suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangments in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

I have never heard of this before.

Your thoughts please guys

I have recently moved house,so I have had to send my certificates off for the change of address. My old constabulary were West Midlands my new constabulary are Thames Valley. I have 2 shotguns and 1 rifle .17 hmr which I use for vermin control. The firearms officer has just informed me that I cannot use my rifle for fox. He said fox are not classed as vermin !! The conditions on my license are,

The holder of this certificate may possess,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition,or the missiles of such ammunition in .17 hmr authorised by this certificate and may use such ammunition only in connection with vermin control

The .17 hmr rifle and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall only be used for vermin control and for zeroing on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained. The firearm(s) may also be used for zeroing at a range suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangments in place to meet any injury or damage claim.

I have Vermin and Fox on mine (Dyfed Powys ), ask them to add fox to yours if they say they can't , thats good reason to get a variation for a 223

This would have most likely never be intended for use controlling fox. I have very similar on mine except i think it says vermin and ground game. Because 17/22lr are considered borderline for fox by most forces, I believe it would have to explicitly state fox in order to be considered OK in the eyes of the law.

I suppose though that the slackness around the definition of vermin could be used for a 'I considered that fox was covered under vermin' argument should it ever be needed.

atb

Edited by lapin2008

Home Office advice for FEOs is that no rimfire should be granted "for the purpose of" shooting fox. It depends on the force issuing the FAC. Some will grant "occasional" fox on the ticket, Some just say no! Tell 'em you're planning to use the HMR for rabbit at longer range, grounded pest birds and other vermin, but if Charlie pops his head up you want to be able to put a hole in it.

Thames Valley like to use the word FOX or Other lawful Quarry.

Vermin is not fox in their book. Simple fact is you are still likely to get different responses from FEO to FEO in the same region, and some may accept vermin as fox.

ALL my rimfires were conditioned for FOX in Thames Valley until a variation or two back when the any other lawful quarry condition replaced it.

People suggest conditions like...

Close fox, occasional fox, etc, they are undefinable and unenforceable, and can someone please scan this part of their FAC and show me a condition that dumb!

Cheers

Edited by Deker

My FAC is issued by Herts.

Stating under Additional Conditions:

5. The .22RF Rifle and the ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for pest and fox control and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearms from the person by whom the shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained.

Please note:

I only dispatch foxes in cage traps with my .22RF

Quick, clinical and precise :thumbs:

As i have said in posts before , you must have fox on your certificate and next to the rifle you wish to shoot like this.

fac001.jpg

Not if you have the ANY OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY condition! :thumbs:

As i have said in posts before , you must have fox on your certificate and next to the rifle you wish to shoot like this.

fac001.jpg

Extraordinary, after your force wasting that much ink on your conditions you still can't use your .223 & .243 on vermin.

He said fox are not classed as vermin

"The .17 hmr rifle and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall only be used for vermin control and for zeroing on land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained. The firearm(s) may also be used for zeroing at a range suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangments in place to meet any injury or damage claim."

The FEO is correct. Certificates are granted in terms of quarry and usage. For example " Vermin control", "Fox control", " Deer stalking / control ", "Humane dispatch", "target shooting" etc.

I know it seems silly that foxes are not classed as vermin by the police, but it's the way the police assess suitable calibres and that's that.

John