Anyone ever tried this?

There's a strip of land on the edge of a farmers field where I walk the dog and if I go there either first or last thing there' loads of rabbits sitting on the edge of it and they all bolt into the cover as soon as you get within about 20 or 30 meters of them. The cover is about 20 meters thick and then their warren is on the other side of the cover.

It's possible to go to the warren without spooking the rabbits on the other side of the cover. It'd be a bit risky to ferret it as it's a public walkway and even though you very rarely see anyone there it's only a stones throw away from the gamekeepers cottage. What I was thinking of doing is setting purse nets over the holes and then going back round the undergrowth and getting the dog to chase them into the nets, so the nets would be catching them as they go back into the warren rather than coming out.

Has anyone tried this? and did it work? I can't see why it wouldn't as long as the nets are anchored properly.

There's a strip of land on the edge of a farmers field where I walk the dog and if I go there either first or last thing there' loads of rabbits sitting on the edge of it and they all bolt into the cover as soon as you get within about 20 or 30 meters of them. The cover is about 20 meters thick and then their warren is on the other side of the cover.

It's possible to go to the warren without spooking the rabbits on the other side of the cover. It'd be a bit risky to ferret it as it's a public walkway and even though you very rarely see anyone there it's only a stones throw away from the gamekeepers cottage. What I was thinking of doing is setting purse nets over the holes and then going back round the undergrowth and getting the dog to chase them into the nets, so the nets would be catching them as they go back into the warren rather than coming out.

Has anyone tried this? and did it work? I can't see why it wouldn't as long as the nets are anchored properly.

a lot of lads that ferret will net up much further along the hedgerow that they are working for this very reason,even leaving previous warrens netted up,had many an escaped rabbit back netted over the years so cant see a reason for it not working sure someone will put me right soon enough

Its just netting it quite enough. will be your problem.

I don't think that'll be a problem, it you walk on the side of the undergrowth where the warren is the rabbits on the other side stay out in the open, but if the dog goes through the undergrowth or you approach them from the other side they're in it like a shot.

I used to use large stones an arms length into the burrow when I was a kid.I'd then spook the rabbits and when they got as far as they could go they'd just sit there and you could pull them out.it saves untangling rabbits from your nets and if the game keeper shows up you can be on your toes without abandoning all your nets!

get news paper, scrunch it up and shove it down hole, just look before you put your hand down as it might not be a rabbit.....might be a big fat rat :thumbs:

The Warrener blocks the holes with handfulls of dry grass on his "Old Ways of the Poacher" DVD. It works really well and he says how often he can pull more than one rabbit out of the same hole.

is that DVD worth getting?

Dont block the holes with sticks or stones unless your going to remove them afterwards ,or youve fecked the burrow and will only get one shot at getting a few rabbits ,using grass the rabbits in the burrow can eat there way out and will keep using the burrow thumbs.gif

• Like 1

get your self a long net mate it will be easyer mate