Rabbit dog

Hi I'm new to the forum, name is matt. Looking in to getting maybe a lurcher or maybe a whippet. Only really after rabbits when it arises, not after no other quarry. Been doing a lot of Reading & on this forum. There seems to be a lot of debate on here, which dog is best suited for different jobs. After a bitch pup , no males! Not buying as of yet, will do research first, so not after a sale of pup as of yet thank u. Would a whippet suffice for what I need? Uneven cover, sometimes

open fields, also waste ground near my local river. Have heard. Whippets have. Thin skin? Would maybe a lurcher do a better job? Don't want a to big dog, but needs to be able to catch rabbits when needed. Any advice would do and will take all answers on board. Keep it clean lads!

Personally mate I would for for 3/4 whippet 1/4 collie or 1/4 beddy. Won't go far wrong for little rabbit dogs.

I'm looking at possibly deer/grey x whippet for my next dog, would be hoping for a bitch to reach 23"tts or there abouts.

Gaz

you dont say what you are going to use the dog for lamping? ferreting? general daytime mooching letting the dog hunt up? collie x whippet/greyhound. beddie x whippet/greyhound. beddie whippets can do the job. cant comment on whippets have no real experience of them. im sure plenty people can give you advice on these. are there any people in your area who hunt similar land.see what dogs they use ask if you can tag along.dont rush into anything. hopefully you can get out with some people and view there dogs in action and make your mind up from there.

Heres my Bedlington x Whippet only 6months old but showing loads of interest Ive had and worked both Whippet and whippet cross they all do the job my advice to you is if you want it mainly for rabbits dont go to big 18/21" tts

post-59000-0-84511600-1308806959_thumb.jpg

post-59000-0-32422000-1308806971_thumb.jpg

Edited by bedwhip

hi mate i work a whippet mainly rabbits and she is perfect for the job whether its ferretin or lampin or just a mooch she will hunt up and find her own quarry. she isnt impartial to havin a crack at charlie either and picks up a few feathers too. i was going to breed her with an old whippet of mine but she wouldnt stand for him so have used a good working beddy to stud instead, a lot of tghe land i work is deep cover and hedgerows and sher does get a few cuts and scratches especially when i take her beating so im hoping the coat from the beddy will help with this. you wont go far wrong with either if your just doing rabbits, i got a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie aswell just comin 7 months hes 24 tts now and hes mainly gonna be for the lamping game and bigger stuff and finding him quite slow to mature still very puppy where as the whippets have always seemed ready for work at a much earlier age. good luck with whatever you choose mate!

Hi guys thanks for all replys and pics. Looks like bed x whip. Like the look of them, also the smallness is good as well. Now need to no about tempament of the above. Also trainability, also wots the top speed of a dog above. Thanks to all, very nice forum is this, loads of help. Matt