Some genuine advice please

I'm looking for some genuine advice please guys, iv been browsing these forums for a while now trying to understand as much as I can about my new hobby, iv started shooting with an air rifle and I'm looking at getting my shot gun licence, and in a few months I want to get a pup to bring on, it's going to be my first working dog, and it's mainly rabbits that I will be putting it on, but I also want it for ratting, also I want a dog that will be able to take on a fox if we come upon one. So should I get a terrier or running dog? Or a mix, any sensible advice would be much appreciated

One tip - it's illegal to hunt/catch/kill foxes with any kind of dog (other than flushing to the gun, or working a single terrier to ground in protection of game birds).

If you can find a well bred beddyxgrey it would be better than a beddy/whip for what you want.

• Like 1

One tip - it's illegal to hunt/catch/kill foxes with any kind of dog (other than flushing to the gun, or working a single terrier to ground in protection of game birds).

If you can find a well bred beddyxgrey it would be better than a beddy/whip for what you want.

have you worked this sort of dog mate

Are they ok against foxes, there is quite a few on my permission that's all, I'll have to have a look at them then, I'm guessing fist cross would be the way to go

Hi mate, I just lined my whippet bitch with a workin beddy last Tue, was gonna use my other whippet but she wouldn't stand for him, she will flush foxs on her own :thumbs: And the beddy does it all above an below, first x be perfect for what your after.

Yis

Jonny

Yeah I'm aware of the laws, I don't want to go after foxes, mainly rabbits, I was just saying that iv seen a fair few foxes around and I don't want a dog that will get beat up if we come across one, iv heard most dogs go mad for foxes and are hard to call off once they give chase.

Thanks johnny I'll keep that in mind, like I say it will be a few months untill I'm after one, just doing my home work before I commit to a pup.

I have what i like to call a 'Springerdale' which is a springer spaniel x Patterdale terrier. Its temperment with other dogs id terrific and to humans and children its even better. He is very relaxed around the house and didnt take long to train. At 7 months old he stand at the size of a springer spaniel but has the adorable face of a terrier with a small beard and furry ears. The point is, when it comes to it he always seems to be willing and ready, just last week he was putting up pheasants, and ran into a nearby bog and grab a vixin (if thats spelt correctly) and was succesfull in tackling the situation.