Silent 223 moderator

I have a 22 CZ with sound moderator. Absolutly silent in opperation. Used to have a 223 Tika with Rsa (I think thats what it was called) Sound moderator. Made a fair bang compared to the 22. I know there is a lot more powder in a 223 bullet, but is it possible to get a 700 firing as quietly as the 22?

no mod on earth will shut the cf up to rimfire leavels. as the guy above said its because the cf is super sonic that is where you get the bang from.

my mate does use a fast burning powder n110 in his 222 sometimes with light bullets. you still get the crack but its very good as the powder is burnt up fast.

and your be surprised how much more noise some powders make to others when reloading

There is subsonic special purpose 5.56 munition about, But then again you are seriously reducing the effective range of the round. There are some very good military/police only moderators made in the UK, but you will be paying a very high price for them, if you can even get hold of them! I tried one on a Rangemaster a few months back and was very surprised indeed at how well such a compact mod worked.

no mod on earth will shut the cf up to rimfire leavels. as the guy above said its because the cf is super sonic that is where you get the bang from.

my mate does use a fast burning powder n110 in his 222 sometimes with light bullets. you still get the crack but its very good as the powder is burnt up fast.

and your be surprised how much more noise some powders make to others when reloading

Good point there Jamie :thumbs: I use H335 powder for my .223 and guys at the range use VIT 133, when fireing the vit seems to give a sharp "crack" sound but 335 is more of a "bang" if you stand behind the shooters the Vit gives the impression of being much quieter :icon_redface: or is it my imagination :o

LD

I have a 22 CZ with sound moderator. Absolutly silent in opperation. Used to have a 223 Tika with Rsa (I think thats what it was called) Sound moderator. Made a fair bang compared to the 22. I know there is a lot more powder in a 223 bullet, but is it possible to get a 700 firing as quietly as the 22?

I've had experience of several, and own one Wildcat Predator 8 on a .270. All of the types I've tried or 'heard' are pretty much the same.

The Aseutra was about the best, but it's big, fat and extends the rifle too far, fine on a 'range' gun but not so great on a hunter.

Also it depends on where you are when you shoot the rifle, if in open country with just low hedges and large empty fields the sound dissapates

very nicely, and you get as near the 22 rimfire as it is going to get (not that close).

However firing into a closed area with tall trees / woods etc on two sides the reflective noise is much worse and not significantly better than

an unmoderated rifle.

But really if you get real, the moderator is not for the Deer or the Foxes etc, as if your any good they wouldn't hear the 'bang' anyway, it's for the 'neighbours',

the 'new age' farmers with the old farmhouse, only one field, horses and several 'rescue' dogs that you don't want to be disturbing, they don't like you or what your doing

but they are not going away, so 'we' are going to have to work around them, and a reduced noise 'one shot' centrefire will pass them by, they won't know what it is or where

you are and that's what you need to be achieving!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...