Hares and Foxes

Guest Macnas

Like Frank, and most others who shoot that I know, I don't shoot hares. I've shot 2, ever, and thats enough for me.

But it's legal to do so, and I won't begrudge another man his sport as long as it's within the law, whether I think its right or not. It's not up to me to judge him, and if I did, I'd be a damn hypocrite.

By bullet or by dog, it's all the one to the hare.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each to their own but to a dogman its a bit hard to swallow................One or two fair enough but a bag like that.......... :( ................ Not disputing your mans skill with a gun but a hare cant outrun a bullet........ :(

Nor can a fox or rabbit.

................................................................................

Now the below is adressed to everyone, not just you Elisderyn.

At the end of the day, we're all hunters. We kill game. Some kill more game.

I don't see any positive outcomes of bitching and squabbling amongst ourselves. The whole dog vs gun argument is, to me, fecking stupid.

In that light, might as well be against shooting bunnies too, eh? After all, it's more 'sporting' to get after them with a ferret, no? Give 'em a fair chance and all that jazz.

Being a keen ferreter I could easily kick up a stink about people shooting bunnies. "It's destroying my sport!!! Those AWFUL shooters are taking the rabbits that I could take with my ferrets and nets!! Blasphemy! Moral corruption!!! Those rabbits are MASTERS OF SURVIVAL and you people are killing them from a distance without them even knowing that they're being hunted!" Of course I don't though. I love to get a good bag with the rifle.

See? It's the same deal. Hares are great athletes, rabbits are f*****g amazing survivalists, foxes are incredibly versatile and can adapt to most of anything. Rats. Rats are one of the most succesful animals on earth. So why do people get up in arms about hares copping some lead yet there are significantly less people speaking up for those redcoats and the wabbit eh?

At the end of the day it's legal, the hares were killed quickly and I doubt that they are going to waste.

Are the hares an endangered species? Is this really going to effect your sport in the long run?

Why do the antis even bother with hunters? We seem to be driving enough nails into our own coffins all by ourselves.

Guest baldie

We seem to have accumulated a lot of members who think they are better than everyone else, because the work dogs. They seem to be of the opinion, that ALL game belongs to them, and theirs is the noblest way of taking it. f*****g GROW UP.

iTS BLATANTLY OBVIOUS MOST OF YOU "SO CALLED DOGMEN" ARE POACHERS, you cant even be bothered to gain legal permission, so its small wonder, you cant go to the trouble of obtaining an FAC and aquire a rifle of your own, so you could actually speak from "real" experience. Then you wonder why all dogmen are tarred with your same shitty brush, and hares are shot because the landowner/keeper wont tolerate broken gates, frightened livestock, trampled, driven over crops, and the thieving that goes with it?

You conveniantly forget, that legal dogmen have paid the price for your illegal actions over the years, for the above reasons......." their killing my sport".......bollocks, it wasn,t yours in the first place.

Lastly, i,m sick of hearing this bollocks in the shooting section, put it in the dog section, if you must, otherwise i.ll remove it.

The other side must be rubbing their hands, youre playing right into them. :no:

Shooting what ever in large numbers what ever they are is sad IMO, its not about killing, its about the animal having a chance. if your stalking some thing, the animal will be using its instincts ,skill , bush-craft to hid and you will be using yours to kill it if the animal makes a mistake its dead ( same as a dog running what ever) survival of the fittest. On the lamp , its bang another in the bag no chance at all, you may as well be shooting targets.

baldie I've found people on my permission, if they aren't mouthy then they will get the chance of ( as long as they only come when invited by me and with me) of having some days out, I'm not greedy , or they keep off.

Guest baldie

I agree, shooting anything in large numbers is not on.......unless its done purely from a vermin control viewpoint. Round me, hare,s are,nt very numerous, i would say, they were purely for sport, and personally think the best way, is with a dog, in fact , i havent shot a hare in over 20 years. However, you go to lincolnshire, or the fens, or any of the market garden area,s , and they are regarded as pure pests, and are in such prolific numbers, they have to be shot in large amounts. A trio of hares, eats as much as a sheep per day. So they have to treated no differently, to a huge pestilence of rabbits, or say, a hill farm, that is plagued by foxes, too many of anything, is a bad thing, and a happy medium has to be reached. Farmers arent there for our sport and pleasure, they are there to make a living, and if 20 hares are munching their way through a crop, they have to go, its as simple as that.

Regarding using bushcraft and skill, there is no greater use of these than with a rifle, try stalking a fox in daylight, or roe deer in a forest, and then tell me any one can do it, because they cant. There is nothing difficult about walking a lurcher , up, the right side of the wind, and pressing the slip lead catch.The skill is then displayed by the dog, not the handler.

Youre a lot more generous with people than me, Mush, i kick the fuckers off, because my permission was hard won, and i,m having no c**t spoil it for me.

I,ll give you an example. I was out last harvest with one of my farmers, lamping cubs. We saw one, in 4 visits, on his land, which is extensive, and had a very good, healthy population of foxes, deer, and hares. We came across a 4x4 one night, with 2 dogs on the back, and 2 more in the cab, with 2 fella,s . Turns out the farmer knew them, but they hadn,t permission, but if he said owt, they would likely have burnt down his barns. The greedy b*****ds, had taken virtually all the foxes, and hares, and there was no sign of the few deer there anymore either. This area, on which i have 2 farms, has nothing but trouble from illegal dogmen, who visit violence and arson, on anyone who stands up to them, all the gates have had to be removed, and boulders placed there, to stop them driving the crops, and the farmer has , now, to remove all these, when he wants access to his own land. Then people wonder why, dog wires go down, and lurchers end up getting shot. :(

Why is killing a few hares slaughter.Most farmers i know want rid of the hares due to lads going onto there land uninvited and running the hares with half a dozen shite lurchers.I kill every hare i see in the winter months and thats simply to keep poachers off so all this SLAUGHTER is necessary to stop poaching.

this might seem a silly question but why do farmers not like people coursing them but there happy to have them shot??

ITS ALL ABOUT A MEENS TO AN END

I run lurchers but i also shoot, i ferret for both sport and paid pest control but i personaly cant see how shooting 19 hares can be called slaughter :hmm: when we see a longnet post of a catch of say 40plus rabbits we dont see replys of "" madness, slaughter, what a waste"" NO we see posts of "" well done mate, cracking bag mate, thumbs up mate"" WHERES THE DIFFERANCE?

Im asked by a fellow pest controler to shoot rabbits within an orchid that he is paid to control, with the .22 and the night vision we can at the start of the winter months shoot well over 50 plus rabbits a night, this we do on a weekly basis for the first 3 months. Sometimes its twice a week depending on work comitments so over time the numbers of rabbits builds very quickly. I DONT CONSIDER THIS SPORT, hell no, the rabbits dont even know your there. ITS PEST CONTROL, its a meens to an end, as was said by the chap who started this thread, its to keep the poachers off this farmers land.

LETS STOP TRYING TO GAIN THE MORAL HIGH GROUND, pest control is about killing as many of a given pest in the most effective humane manner available, and if thats shooting so be it. ;)

Edited by mole catcher
thers culling.then theres butchering.

Just so as you know the hares were a one off i dont usually shoot hares not of that quantity any way more like one or two when asked by a restaurant owner mate of mine, any way this particular time i was approached by the RAF to sort out nusience hares which were sun bathing on the warm tar mac of the run way so preventing the planes landing, the fcuking hares could have caused a major accident and the deaths of human beings, so i reckon saving human life is worth the sacrifice of a few fcuking hares. I hope this has cleared things up a bit, if i thought the shooting of hares would have caused so much hassel i would'nt have made the thread.

Because the hares happen to be on MOD land and they dont get bothered by man with dog or rifle unless you are fortunate to have permission like myself the numbers quickly build up again, no dout i will be given the same task again, but i wont bother posting the result on the forum :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest little_lloyd

Hares are Britains ultimate of animals, Wiping them out should be a very very last resort :(:censored:

I aggre Give these 'Poaching lads' permission and get em to hlep around your farms or esates :D

Hares are welcome on my shoot but poachers are not!