foxing in the fells

collie/grey like dvd

i watched that one recently,certainly not the best dogs on foxes by any means but the feckers must have been fit :thumbs:

not seen a great deal of dogs on fox but like you say they must have to be fit to hunt up chase catch and kill i watched it the other day also

collie/grey like dvd

i watched that one recently,certainly not the best dogs on foxes by any means but the feckers must have been fit :thumbs:

not seen a great deal of dogs on fox but like you say they must have to be fit to hunt up chase catch and kill i watched it the other day also

there was a bit in that when they had a fox down in some long grass when it faced them up it looked on the film like it jumped toward the dogs and they backed off couple times till one went in on the back end before the other joined in,but yes fit none the less :thumbs:

any type a lurcher should be able to work the fells, iv seen bullx an most other types work the fells day an night

suppose its like anything, practice makes perfect :thumbs:

il be honest iv only ever lamped them(pre-ban obviously)even when walking them out during the day mine have not actively hunted up for them which imo is the making of a good daytime fox dog,not just relying on a terrier for a bolt i mean :thumbs:

Its a diiferent type of hunting, imo it takes a special dog to work cover at distance, use its nose and work a fox upto a mile from its handler, find, flush and then catch and kill it, saying that the dogs on that dvd didn't impress me with their "finishing ability" but there work rate was very impressive........ Pre ban not many lampers dogs could of worked the fells like those, and to counter that i very much doubt those dogs could of been lamped single handed on charlie, certainly not in numbers :thumbs:

Its a diiferent type of hunting, imo it takes a special dog to work cover at distance, use its nose and work a fox upto a mile from its handler, find, flush and then catch and kill it, saying that the dogs on that dvd didn't impress me with their "finishing ability" but there work rate was very impressive........ Pre ban not many lampers dogs could of worked the fells like those, and to counter that i very much doubt those dogs could of been lamped single handed on charlie, certainly not in numbers :thumbs:

yes i think your bang on there mate :thumbs: suppose the collie trait in the dogs aides them to work at distance like that dont know just saying,although sure many a cross could do it

Its a diiferent type of hunting, imo it takes a special dog to work cover at distance, use its nose and work a fox upto a mile from its handler, find, flush and then catch and kill it, saying that the dogs on that dvd didn't impress me with their "finishing ability" but there work rate was very impressive........ Pre ban not many lampers dogs could of worked the fells like those, and to counter that i very much doubt those dogs could of been lamped single handed on charlie, certainly not in numbers 

Your right there Simo dogs for jobs :thumbs:

..........But from what I’ve seen it takes allot more time and patience to get a lurcher hunting up to that standard on the hills than it does to get a descent lamping dog. Although in one season they will never get the same numbers as the lamping dogs.

Like I said dogs for jobs :victory:

Sorry If I haven’t worded this right I’m not the best on the computer or the most literate. :angel:

Its a diiferent type of hunting, imo it takes a special dog to work cover at distance, use its nose and work a fox upto a mile from its handler, find, flush and then catch and kill it, saying that the dogs on that dvd didn't impress me with their "finishing ability" but there work rate was very impressive........ Pre ban not many lampers dogs could of worked the fells like those, and to counter that i very much doubt those dogs could of been lamped single handed on charlie, certainly not in numbers 

Your right there Simo dogs for jobs :thumbs:

..........But from what Ive seen it takes allot more time and patience to get a lurcher hunting up to that standard on the hills than it does to get a descent lamping dog. Although in one season they will never get the same numbers as the lamping dogs.

Like I said dogs for jobs :victory:

Sorry If I havent worded this right Im not the best on the computer or the most literate. :angel:

I think you have worded it correctly John, i think you are much more likely to produce a good lamping dog then a dog capable of hunting up to a high standard, and as you say, jobs for dogs :thumbs: