running a fox

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

young dog has to learn that the fox bites back no point in just letting dog rag dead fox because when u let him down on his own he s in for a nasty shock

some times alan a dog will run better on his own have seen dogs that both can turn well on their own yet when doubled up same dogs go wide i would not be surprised if its a jealous thing with both

Im usually after bigger fish but you know the crack, back in the day out with a mate or two Id go for foxes to keep owners happy and good crack, good sport, NEVER felt the need to double up, most of m

Just a little question to throw a spanner in the works.......what if pre-ban you and a partner do lamping on foot and perhaps only come across a couple of foxes a week, your dogs are capable single handed but you may only get two runs on charlie a week, its it so bad to have doubled up??

Nowt wrong with doubling up if your out with your mate and not seeing many. There's a load of guff spoke about foxing back in the day...makes you wonder if half the folk talking about it ever did much. Most of the probs with doubling are caused by a young or inexperienced dog that wants to pull the red for itself and works against the other dog.

Im usually after bigger fish but you know the crack, back in the day out with a mate or two Id go for foxes to keep owners happy and good crack, good sport, NEVER felt the need to double up, most of my dogs catch fox easy enough given a fair slip, As for easing young stock in with a velvet glove, seen this too much, and seen too many dogs that are kept along with many excuses by their owners 'their slow starters' they saw stuff too young' etc etc if I lent the dog it would Jack the same day. Dont make excuses, shit is shit, dont try polish it,. If their not good single handed, their no good to me. Take it or leave it, I do what works. Even if I only saw a few and was out with mates who all wanted a slip, well, they can, but not me, Id rather see 1 dog, a fair run, and a good course and clean kill with an efficient dog.... yep, so as you can tell... doubling up is NOT FOR ME, OR MY DOGS :thumbs:

• Like 1

Im usually after bigger fish but you know the crack, back in the day out with a mate or two Id go for foxes to keep owners happy and good crack, good sport, NEVER felt the need to double up, most of my dogs catch fox easy enough given a fair slip, As for easing young stock in with a velvet glove, seen this too much, and seen too many dogs that are kept along with many excuses by their owners 'their slow starters' they saw stuff too young' etc etc if I lent the dog it would Jack the same day. Dont make excuses, shit is shit, dont try polish it,. If their not good single handed, their no good to me. Take it or leave it, I do what works. Even if I only saw a few and was out with mates who all wanted a slip, well, they can, but not me, Id rather see 1 dog, a fair run, and a good course and clean kill with an efficient dog.... yep, so as you can tell... doubling up is NOT FOR ME, OR MY DOGS :thumbs:

Spoken by one of the most genuine dogmen I have ever met. Nice to see you online mate. If you need an extra pair of hands carrying all those rabbits off the hills anytime, drop me a text.

Take care

Tusker :thumbs:

A few years back i bought a dvd called something like

Lamping foxes with Bull crosses....

I was surprised that every slip, the fox was ran with 2 dogs....!!!!

My own preference is to run a dog single handed,{pre ban} but as others have said if your

lamping on foot and you dont get to see many, then the temptation is to double up

and if you were starting a young dog {pre ban} then again it`s good to run doubled up...

Mars...

was that the one where the lads kept saying "HAVE IT"

Edited by reynardhunter