Adam, you put a thread up asking for advice and unless I missed the post where you've been advised to let your dog loose amongst sheep and hope for the best, you've pretty much ignored everyone and done the worst thing you could have done. The mere fact you think the dogs sound now speaks volumes. No point in advising you cos you won't listen and as sure as night follows day, that dog will kill again and be sold to some poor shmuck.

As for all the 'advisers' how many of you have had a dog that's killed a sheep nevermind managed to cure it? It's easy to type syntax on a computer when your not responsible for the outcome. I had a young dog recently do it, not once but 3 times. The dog is now in a shallow grave and quite rightly so. With hindsight I should have done it after the first but life ain't that easy. Main dog picking up a serious injury catapulted the young dog as provider. A lot of white hares about and deer doesn't help. Teaching the basics midseason and at a critical time in a dogs progression is easy to say but harder to implement. I've never experienced it before with a dog always preferring prevention rather than a cure. If I experience it again I won't be giving it 3 chances that's for sure. Lucky for me the farmer is an old friend but this is peoples livlihoods we are talking about. I'm not saying that it's impossible but up here it's hard to go anywhere without sheep etc and if you can't fully trust the dog, where is the fun in that?

spot on mate :thumbs:

Edited by atomo

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whilst I admire your sentiment Ethyl. The time for sentiment has passed, what is needed is cold hard facts. People come on a forum and ask advice and it always seems to be after the fact. Would it not

Well would you not be better giving the lad your idea of what to do rather than telling everyone else theyre worng perhaps? Easy to sit there and be a smart arse the lads asked for advice not criticis

I like a dog that's not good with strangers Coz then people will think twice before stealing the dog and plus i like to think my dog will protect and help me if need be and I would have no problem muz

Posted Images

I had a dog early in his carreer drop a sheep and I though he was steady with sheep I was out with a keeper who is a member of here heading to check some holes on the hill .

The lurcher at the time was in his first season & had been kennel bound for a month due to an injury and this was his first time out since then so he was a bit keen due to his age and not beeing out ....a few red hinds were in the distance and the wind was in our face so the dog who was off the slip got a bit excited to say the least (i would never run a dog on deer as this was after the ban ).

the dog began looking for the deer and a yew jumped out of a peat hag and he nailed it ....it brought that dog to inch of his life and for the next weeks had him in amongst sheep until I was 100% happy he he was broken to them .

So it can be done

Edited by MOO

I had a dog early in his carreer drop a sheep and I though he was steady with sheep I was out with a keeper who is a member of here heading to check some holes on the hill .

The lurcher at the time was in his first season & had been kennel bound for a month due to an injury and this was his first time out since then so he was a bit keen due to his age and not beeing out ....a few red hinds were in the distance and the wind was in our face so the dog who was off the slip got a bit excited to say the least (i would never run a dog on deer as this was after the ban ).

the dog began looking for the deer and a yew jumped out of a peat hag and he nailed it ....it brought that dog to inch of his life and for the next weeks had him in amongst sheep until I was 100% happy he he was broken to them .

So it can be done

I don't dispute it is possible moo, circumstance play a big part in it. For me the first was on a mates ground, me the mate and a guy from his work, his dog latched onto a sheep, mine waded in, gutted. Managed to get them off but the sheep kieled over. Walked endlessly round sheep, he always was around the f*****g things but as you know, the excitement of hunting is totally different scenario than just walking through sheep. Anyhow, 2nd time was on a grouse moor :blink: never seen it, slipped him, he went out of sight, got him back 20 minutes later looking a bit err sheepish lol. Walled in the general area he was and found a dead sheep which wasn't long dead. You male up excuses in your head, maybe it was dying, maybe he never, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, bearing in mind, this was a dog that normally wouldn't look at a sheep. Done the endless walking through sheep blah de blah. But the 3rd time left me with no doubt. Out lamping with the farmers son :wallbash: ran a rabbit, missed. Switched off lamp and waited on him returning.... Heard this fence getting rattled, there it is a f*****g sheep with it's head deck in the fence and my dog trying to 'free' it. f*****g seething as you can imagine. Only sheep in the field. Told the farmers son(35 btw) take the dog with you. I suppose it was anger, embarrassment, pride, hurt but mostly rage at the time which made me decide that. Regretted it once I'd cooled down but there was no getting through to it. Your out with the guy who has given you permission and here is your dog trying to kill his sheep. So between that and my other dog practically ripping it's jaw off on a fence, it hasn't been a good season.

Adam, you put a thread up asking for advice and unless I missed the post where you've been advised to let your dog loose amongst sheep and hope for the best, you've pretty much ignored everyone and done the worst thing you could have done. The mere fact you think the dogs sound now speaks volumes. No point in advising you cos you won't listen and as sure as night follows day, that dog will kill again and be sold to some poor shmuck.

As for all the 'advisers' how many of you have had a dog that's killed a sheep nevermind managed to cure it? It's easy to type syntax on a computer when your not responsible for the outcome. I had a young dog recently do it, not once but 3 times. The dog is now in a shallow grave and quite rightly so. With hindsight I should have done it after the first but life ain't that easy. Main dog picking up a serious injury catapulted the young dog as provider. A lot of white hares about and deer doesn't help. Teaching the basics midseason and at a critical time in a dogs progression is easy to say but harder to implement. I've never experienced it before with a dog always preferring prevention rather than a cure. If I experience it again I won't be giving it 3 chances that's for sure. Lucky for me the farmer is an old friend but this is peoples livlihoods we are talking about. I'm not saying that it's impossible but up here it's hard to go anywhere without sheep etc and if you can't fully trust the dog, where is the fun in that?

well he was always loose before this day and never done any thing, and never did anything here.

you a re right Circumstances play a big part and I am fortunate that my dogs are amongst livestock daily both walked and hunted and are done so enough that I can say they are broken to sheep

Good luck with your dog adam but you seem to be talking when you should be listening

Edited by MOO

Adam he didnt do it before hasnt done it since thats fair enough but he DID DO IT so you need to be really careful and keep him in your hand so to speak for a while yet till you can be 100% sure in your own mind he wont ever ever do this again.Your throwing him in at the deep end way to soon

Well let the pup out in garden today and the farmer had put sheep and lambs in back field. He jumped the fence and grabbed a lamb so hes now gone. Cheers for advice any way.

i would'nt bother getting another one if i was you

You f*****g TIT how many times did me and others tell you to be careful and not to push it too hard too son but nah you knew better eh? Well done another dog dead or f****d out on its arse because its owner was a total Useless Prick.For the sake of any animals in the future please dont get another dog till you can at least use your brain dickhead

I never realised the sheep were in the field, i opend back door and he ran and jumped straight over. The neighbours were watching i had no choice he had to go. I never let him off any more after reading your comments. I wont be getting another was the hardest thing av done in me life.

Well let the pup out in garden today and the farmer had put sheep and lambs in back field. He jumped the fence and grabbed a lamb so hes now gone. Cheers for advice any way.

TBH the advice was pointless, you didnt listen and had no intention of actually following any of it, do us all a favour and take up knitting as you shouldn't get another f*****g dog........