judgeing lurchers at shows

The judges job is a poison chalice,you are on a hiding to nothing from the start and the reason its so hard to find one,ask anyone who's put a show on the trouble they have finding a judge,hence the reason why you get inexperienced wannabe's doing it,nobody likes to take flak off fellow dog owner's for either a biased decision or a straight one,the fun element of these shows have been lost,going back 30yrs there was only one gamefair and no local terrier and lurcher shows,it is only as the dog's have become popular that these shows appeared,the Fell and Moorland ran the first show's I attended and it was as a fund raising excercise to claw back some of the money that was outlayed in the winter on some of the bigger rescue's,they were our only fallback and are still the only decent club worth joining or contributing to with genuine interest in the welfare of our dog's,anyone that remember's the massive shows that brought LLangollen to a standstill of a weekend will realise it was a great meeting place for old friends and new alike,it is only a bit of fun and not to be argued and fought over,go to the shows for the right reasons and enjoy the company of like minded lads that will be raising money for a good cause (normally) and if you don't enjoy it then you are there for the wrong reasons,remember your dog will always be the best in YOUR eye's,don't take the day too serious and you will meet some decent people and make new friends,you will get better quality judges coming forward when they stop taking too much stick,after all WOULD YOU DO IT ??? atb,wirralman

very we'll said

i dont disagree mate all i was trying to say was that some judges seem to me have no real knowledge of how or what a show is about and when it does state working dog show it should be that and not judged on weather or not you get invited for a lamping trip and you should at least know that judge as some years in the sport of hunting with dogs as this would at least give their veiws some credit i dont show but have heard many people who are of simalar veiws :thumbs:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The judges job is a poison chalice,you are on a hiding to nothing from the start and the reason its so hard to find one,ask anyone who's put a show on the trouble they have finding a judge,hence the r

The main trouble with judging a show is all the entrants genuinely believe their dog was better than the winner,then all the bitching starts.ive judged a few lurchers and the biggest problem i found w

Firstly why bother with these shows if you have such a dislike for them?   Secondly why take a scared up dog to one of these shows knowing the judges dont even give that type of dog a second look?

Posted Images

I went to a working terrier and lurcher show today for something different to do, it was good to see that there are a good amount of nice looking dogs in my area, the judge seemed fair i got a third place for my dog..... out of 3! :icon_redface: But it is all about not taking it too seriously..... I just need to get hold of that judges address so I can go chuck bog roll all over his house the b*****d!!!! :laugh: Can't wait for the next show I'm gonna take some potatoes to stuff up judges exhaust pipe!!! :boogie:

Stevenstone?

Yeah mate, it was very pleasant don't you think?

It’s not a bad little show, shame they have no working class and a bull class would be nice as well. I was trying to remember a class of three and what dog came third. I have an idea of your dog as a young Merle beardy/beddy type?

Fun should be the idea, with a chance to see a few different dogs and have a chat with people. Judging is a matter of personal choice and what suits one will not suit another, but an honest judge will at least pick what they feel is the best although there are those that pick the owners rather then the dog as they know that the owner will be the judge at the next show. There is a tendency for the pony club element to take over and they seem to align themselves well with those who prefer to race their lurchers than work them but they are often the ones who are willing to take on the hassle to organise shows. It can be a bit of a shame when you do get a small clique that dominate local shows, judging and awarding amongst themselves and it is always refreshing when a judge is brought in from outside and upsets the apple cart a little. For youngsters with their first lurchers it can be disheartening for the dogs to get passed over at these shows and so they stop attending and this is a loss, I’ve been to a couple of shows this year and noticed two such people, both with tidy young lurchers, that have entered and not done well, on Sunday one attended but didn’t even enter and next year is unlikely to even attend. We should be encouraging these people.

I went in for the under 23" rough bitch, if that helps you picture me? I tend to keep myself to myself at these kind of things. Did you enter anything in? Will you be going to the one at Dowland?

I went to a working terrier and lurcher show today for something different to do, it was good to see that there are a good amount of nice looking dogs in my area, the judge seemed fair i got a third place for my dog..... out of 3! :icon_redface: But it is all about not taking it too seriously..... I just need to get hold of that judges address so I can go chuck bog roll all over his house the b*****d!!!! :laugh: Can't wait for the next show I'm gonna take some potatoes to stuff up judges exhaust pipe!!! :boogie:

Stevenstone?

It’s not a bad little show, shame they have no working class and a bull class would be nice as well. I was trying to remember a class of three and what dog came third. I have an idea of your dog as a young Merle beardy/beddy type?

Fun should be the idea, with a chance to see a few different dogs and have a chat with people. Judging is a matter of personal choice and what suits one will not suit another, but an honest judge will at least pick what they feel is the best although there are those that pick the owners rather then the dog as they know that the owner will be the judge at the next show. There is a tendency for the pony club element to take over and they seem to align themselves well with those who prefer to race their lurchers than work them but they are often the ones who are willing to take on the hassle to organise shows. It can be a bit of a shame when you do get a small clique that dominate local shows, judging and awarding amongst themselves and it is always refreshing when a judge is brought in from outside and upsets the apple cart a little. For youngsters with their first lurchers it can be disheartening for the dogs to get passed over at these shows and so they stop attending and this is a loss, I’ve been to a couple of shows this year and noticed two such people, both with tidy young lurchers, that have entered and not done well, on Sunday one attended but didn’t even enter and next year is unlikely to even attend. We should be encouraging these people.

I went in for the under 23" rough bitch, if that helps you picture me? I tend to keep myself to myself at these kind of things. Did you enter anything in? Will you be going to the one at Dowland?

Then you may reconise my bitch, she does well in under 23" RB and got first on the day.

post-2025-0-70627700-1305708113_thumb.jpg

the next one I'm likely to go to will be the Tetcott hunt lurcher and terrier show.

http://tetcottsupporters.webs.com/events.htm

Stevenstone?

Then you may reconise my bitch, she does well in under 23" RB and got first on the day.

post-2025-0-70627700-1305708113_thumb.jpg

the next one I'm likely to go to will be the Tetcott hunt lurcher and terrier show.

http://tetcottsupporters.webs.com/events.htm

Nice looking dog that, no wonder mine never got anything!!!! I went to the Tetcott one last year with mine as a pup. I've got a feeling there is another show at Sutcombe the same day with racing as well, but will let the wife decide where to go!