This was actually way back on the day of the royal wedding but haven't had web access until now. My good wife had one of her friends down with her two children, one of which was a lad who's dad (a good mate who was sadly couldn't make it) I had initiated to shooting last year with the aid of the rimfire and a few obliging rabbits and hares. The pomp and ceremony on the telly was wearing a little thin so I mentined popping out later to look for a buck and a few rabbits to which his face lit up... so much so the two women couldn't possibly say no :boogie:

After swathering him in massively oversized drab clothing we were off just to arrive at the spot just after 6pm. After stalking along a few hedgerows where I didn't expect to see anything just make sure he new how to walk quietly and was paying attention (not that he knew that) we started the route properly pausing to scan the hedgerows and skylines with him doing the same using a pair of Mickey Mouse petrol station binos :thumbs: A blackbird bombed out the hedge infront of us and the middle of the thick hedge 40 yards further on shuddered. I made a few hand signals to get the lad to switch on and inched towards to spot ready on the sticks. A nice buck bounced out the hedge and predictably paused to look over its shoulder at the disturbance - the buck was only 30 yards away but the shot wasn't on off the sticks as it meant shooting through the hedge but at that range freehand was an easy alternative and he dropped in his tracks to a shot behind the shoulder.

I told the lad a deer was down which he didn't believe as he couldn't see through the hedge and had been blind to the shot... he did say he thought my Predator 8 moderator must be broken as it should sound like a champagne cork popping :big_boss:

SDC10750.jpg

SDC10749blank.jpg

His big grin say's it all when we got to the buck which was hidden until the last moment in the thick pasture - he wasn't squeemish judging by the number of pics he took of me performing the gralloch :yes: I'd been winding him up in the car telling him that if we got a deer he'd have to drag it back to the farm.. he obviously hadn't twigged what the roe-sack I was carrying was for so I sent him on his way letting him huff and puff for a few yards before having a good laugh.

SDC10779.jpg

We hung the deer up in the barn and then took him out to look for a rabbit with the rimfire. It took a while to find an obliging, close rabbit to cut his teeth on but eventually we found a tiddler against the hedge and stalked to 20 yards of it. Fair play to him he was calm and took a steady shot taking it right in the head.

SDC10784blank.jpg

As if it was possible the grin was even bigger than before - another stalking generation is born i'm sure of it :thumbs:

SDC10789blabk.jpg