Fen hares.

Lol Tomo ya tit. I think it's me that is over sensitive the now.

Anyhow back to the hares. You've seen a few hares in your time tomo, do you think the fen hares are stronger?

yep

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

STAY OUT OF IT BAW !!!!

well dont just talk about it sort it i told you before,tell you what,tracyg has just had the special needs school playground frame burnt to a cinder,come here run yoour fn pony with ours our way loose

Lol........ That's you answered then baw, now walk away!!!

Posted Images

Lol Tomo ya tit. I think it's me that is over sensitive the now.

Anyhow back to the hares. You've seen a few hares in your time tomo, do you think the fen hares are stronger?

yep

Lol........ That's you answered then baw, now walk away!!!

• Like 3

the answer is a little deeper than what i just said,,, its proberbly more the landscape,, in other words if you took a hare from another area and put it in the fens it would proberbly be a better hare.

however even the above is flawed,,, as there are generations of hares that have survived in the fens due to being run regular.

now somthing difrent to ilistrate how good and fast ,, yes fast. how some line bred cousring saluki crosses are.

about 1 year befor the ban i was invited out to the lincolnshire ,,, VISA the old bitch was young,, im a bit of an anorak about timing my dogs runs.

so stopwatch in hand , i timed nearly evry single couse, 8 dogs there that day , only one run that went up past 3 mins, from a real feathered looking salukitype.

evry other run that day was around 1 min , 1 and a half mins. now this land was near sleaford so alot of hedges and big blocks of woodland.

the reason i mention this is because of all the people that have this strange view that saluki crosses are all ploders, remember alot of the lads that run the fen , dont live there, they come from the north east (hundreds of them) :laugh: and from lancashire , even cumbria.

now these same lads run local to themselvs so are used to hedges, fences ,woodland , and nearly all of these lads report that there dogs catch well in there home location...

but they go to the fens to realy test there dogs..........i think this very fact says alot :thumbs:

• Like 3

the answer is a little deeper than what i just said,,, its proberbly more the landscape,, in other words if you took a hare from another area and put it in the fens it would proberbly be a better hare.

however even the above is flawed,,, as there are generations of hares that have survived in the fens due to being run regular.

now somthing difrent to ilistrate how good and fast ,, yes fast. how some line bred cousring saluki crosses are.

about 1 year befor the ban i was invited out to the lincolnshire ,,, VISA the old bitch was young,, im a bit of an anorak about timing my dogs runs.

so stopwatch in hand , i timed nearly evry single couse, 8 dogs there that day , only one run that went up past 3 mins, from a real feathered looking salukitype.

evry other run that day was around 1 min , 1 and a half mins. now this land was near sleaford so alot of hedges and big blocks of woodland.

the reason i mention this is because of all the people that have this strange view that saluki crosses are all ploders, remember alot of the lads that run the fen , dont live there, they come from the north east (hundreds of them) :laugh: and from lancashire , even cumbria.

now these same lads run local to themselvs so are used to hedges, fences ,woodland , and nearly all of these lads report that there dogs catch well in there home location...

but they go to the fens to realy test there dogs..........i think this very fact says alot :thumbs:

Aint that the truth!!!!

well said tomo :notworthy: lots of reasons why they are better the land the soil that grows the crops the stuff they are eating the fact they get chased regular it all adds up to make a supreme athlete :thumbs:

How do you know that makes a difference? The soil lol, just cos you think it doesn't make it so.

Ok, what the hell, if I get banned for expressing my opinion, so be it.

I've heard it said umpteen times on here, even baldrick has said it recently. At the fens you can see the whole course. This makes it the ideal venue to meet and test your dog. Not because the hares there are superior or the land has a good loam lol. It's the perfect coursing arena. I'm not saying the hares are bad, just can't see them being any better.

well said tomo :notworthy: lots of reasons why they are better the land the soil that grows the crops the stuff they are eating the fact they get chased regular it all adds up to make a supreme athlete :thumbs:

How do you know that makes a difference? The soil lol, just cos you think it doesn't make it so.

I've heard it said umpteen times on here, even baldrick has said it recently. At the fens you can see the whole course. This makes it the ideal venue to meet and test your dog. Not because the hares there are superior or the land has a good loam lol. It's the perfect coursing arena. I'm not saying the hares are bad, just can't see them being any better.

I think its harder around farm land with gates ditches hedges woods rivers etc etc so many places a dog can lose what its chasing but that is just my opinion which counts for nothing because l have not run fen.Fen just a bigger field to me :tongue2:

i agree with you baw, its just if you put a good hare up on small land its away in woods cover ect but if you put a good hare up on the fens dogs got to kill it or get blew to bits in the end, but still loads of shit hares on the fens like anywhere else

good soil + good land management = good crops = good food for the hares + regular exercise = top hares in the country.

:bye:

Ayreshire has some of the best soil in the uk, most of your quality potatoes are ayreshire. Aberdeen grows a lot of carrots, excellent soil too. Cos the fens has good soil don't assume it's the only place

Well said Tomo :thumbs: , the last three paragraphs explain it all :notworthy:

cuts right through the plodding bull, they only Fen dogs when they on fens, they paddock dogs when they on paddock,field dogs on fields just as at home jumping fence topped with barbs into deep wooded cover as leaping over an 8ft wide dyke or disappearing down a 20ft one on fens:thumbs:

With regard to fen hares being better, than any other hare , well, Im pretty sure they are, but the very varied and rich diet (variety of crops astounds me every time I been) they get as well as the sheer amount of hassle from dogs,both day and night,to sumit up they need to be fitter as cover is sparser, so it makes fll use of its physical attributes :thumbs: afterall the large open ground is the hares home, mother nature designed him to own it, men had to design a dog to take him there :thumbs:

shorter or smaller field browns will have a different survival plan due to landscape available, more liely to make a fastr straight for cover, but they can be panicked into turning if the dog puts the prsure on quick enough,ploddig will not achieve that, so you needs a speed, if the dogs did not catch here in north there would be little point in filling the motor to try running them down there :no:

Any hare taken by a dog is a real achievement,if the owner is honest in slipping and dont kid himself and his dog :victory: where it is taken is of no matter, it will have tried to use every trick in its arsenal to avoid capture, a bit of respect is due, calling its dying effort to survive is a bit well......arrogant :thumbdown:

• Like 1