Rebuilding a dog after injury.

Yesterday my whippet hit a piece of corrugated metal while running a rabbit and sliced away pretty much all of the inside of one of his back legs, to the bone. I was pretty sure it was going to be a case of PTS, assuming the tendons etc would be f****d. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they sowed it up, and said that as far as they could see there was no major tendon, ligament or bone damage. His leg looks a wreck, but he can kind of put a tiny bit of weight on it today. What i was wondering is, if anyone has any advice, for anything, whatsoever, that i can do to try to increase his chances of his leg repairing and him being fit enough to run again, i'd be incredibly grateful. At the moment it's just rest, minimal moving, little bit of stretching, while i take him outside to piss, and lots of good food and water.

Yesterday my whippet hit a piece of corrugated metal while running a rabbit and sliced away pretty much all of the inside of one of his back legs, to the bone. I was pretty sure it was going to be a case of PTS, assuming the tendons etc would be f****d. I rushed him to the emergency vet and they sowed it up, and said that as far as they could see there was no major tendon, ligament or bone damage. His leg looks a wreck, but he can kind of put a tiny bit of weight on it today. What i was wondering is, if anyone has any advice, for anything, whatsoever, that i can do to try to increase his chances of his leg repairing and him being fit enough to run again, i'd be incredibly grateful. At the moment it's just rest, minimal moving, little bit of stretching, while i take him outside to piss, and lots of good food and water.

after some good time of, you want to get it swimming mate will slowly start strenthing the leg up again atb kk :thumbs:

• Like 1

after some good time of, you want to get it swimming mate will slowly start strenthing the leg up again atb kk :thumbs:

took the words out my mouth....also after the wound has fully healed, massage it twice a day or so it encourage blood flow to the area which encourages it to heal quicker

Swimming is a good idea, as is road walks and definitely massage it after any exercise, as long as its nothing too strenuous. Just slowly build him back into it. Before any of that though I'd say just allow him to rest and heal.

Maybe go to a greyhound man, they may have some good advice on how to bring a running dog back from injury.

hi mate would wait till stiched come out your dog not goimg to be inactive for too long so tou shouldnt get any muscle wastage to the leg get him moving as soon as you can when pain has gone massage and streching goos luck with him

Ideation sounds like it could of really been bad ,i hope he makes a full recovery ,,

.I had a lurcher that did some ligament damage from a bad cut ,it looked like she would never run again....

once the cut healed properly i did small walks with her ,and gradually built up to long road walks then to on the lead behind the bike

under the vets advice i got her on a treadmill ,i had her on that for half and hour every night for 2 1/2 months

,she came very strong on the leg, when i came to work her which was slowly introduced her she ran like nothing had ever happened .

be lucky mate.

Edited by lofti

Right now mate, whilst your dog is stiched, whatever you do, do not let that dog do anything to pull those stitches, no free movement what so ever. Because just as sure as eggs is eggs, that dog will 'think' its better sooner than it is, and want to 'go' and your right back to square one.

All of the advice above is good, once the stitches are out but do take things steady at first.

Best of luck.. :thumbs:

Thankyou for all the advice, at the moment i'm just restricting his movement, keeping him on a lead and only letting him out for a piss. He's a mad little f****r tho, and like you said, thinks he's all good now, and has tried to jump on / off the sofa a few times etc. Managing to keep him mostly still tho, and no running. Feeding him chicken and venison and some biscuits. He's become very needy tho, and pretty much whines and acts like a child when i'm away from him. Here's hoping with time he'll come good :thumbs:

its a whippet aint it mate???

reason being is, i have just set up a swim tank for my dogs, easy as pie an will be easier again for a whippet sized dog

got the idea an design of a very good dog man, pm me if ye want any more info :thumbs:

Edited by DottyDoo

I'd crate him too . . . . my bitch needed 3 months crate rest after an injury, its horrible, but the only way to ensure he really can't move. I tried having her out in the house and got caught out so many times by a knock at the door or one of the other dogs doing something to attract her attention and cause her to move suddenly. I also gave her kongs stuffed with various foods to entertain her, as she was extremely bored. :thumbs: