COMPULSORY MICROCHIPPING - A WARNING.

During the early part of 2010, the previous Labour Government issued a public consultation paper relating to possible replacement legislation for the existing Dangerous Dogs Act. Their stated reasons being concerns over the increased ownership of so called status dogs and the increase in dog related injuries. One of the main solutions being put forward was that legislation should be introduced which would require all dogs to be microchipped and to also carry third party liability insurance.

The National Working Terrier Federation (NWTF) responded to this paper in May 2010 expressing their concerns at these proposals, along with numerous other organisations. Some of which shared the same views and others which did not. To see the full extent of the consultation, the various proposals and the NWTF's response click here.

The Government has yet to formally publish its proposals, but it was widely reported over the Bank Holiday weekend in the press and on television that there are plans afoot to introduce legislation requiring the compulsory microchipping of all dogs. So far there has not been any mention of compulsory insurance, but thats not to say it will not apply also, otherwise whats the purpose of identifying each dog?

Vets charge anything from £35 to £65 per dog for this service and would add anything from £175 - £325 to the cost of an average litter. It would be an unnecessary burden on responsible dog owners at a time of national austerity and be completely ignored by the very group the legislation was intended to target.

Once the Government do publish their proposals it is important that those who share these concerns make them fully known and where it will have most effect. The forum owners are just as concerned as I and others are about these proposals and have willingly agreed to my posting on each of the relevant forums details of any updates and actions which may be taken.

Y.I.S. - Barrie

Edited by Barrie

Was going to put this thread myself its just the nazi gov weve got trying to impliment the human chip this is one of the first steps along with fingerprints for schol dinners hopefully theres enough information out there on reactions in small dogs especially to the chip and the ease of hacking of the chips etc to put a stop on it if they dont i wont be chipping mine see them in court first :thumbs:

This is a worrying development and another example of the ruling elite wanting to control every aspect of our lives. The issue of 'dangerous dogs' is solely down to media sensatonalism (i think the number one biter is still the collie)

I smell extra revenue for the tax man.

Was going to put this thread myself its just the nazi gov weve got trying to impliment the human chip this is one of the first steps along with fingerprints for schol dinners hopefully theres enough information out there on reactions in small dogs especially to the chip and the ease of hacking of the chips etc to put a stop on it if they dont i wont be chipping mine see them in court first :thumbs:

You could get around it by buying a kit and sending off the forms without actually chipping the dog as sometimes the chip migrates to another part of the dog and disappears forever.

the chips can migrate around the dog they can get into joints also some dogs have reaction to them its all well documented last year all racing greyhounds had to be chipped it cost £3 a dog but they have had problems with chips moving all over the dogs

All my dogs are done, but my youngest Am Bulldog got a reaction & i got a vet bill of £230 to have a huge cyst & the offending chip removed, i think microchipping is a not a bad idea but i'm not totally for it. :hmm:

You could get around it by buying a kit and sending off the forms without actually chipping the dog as sometimes the chip migrates to another part of the dog and disappears forever.

I think its past skirting round these issues and just say NO.I saw the interview on the bbc with Phil Drabble and some ex blue peter presenter, he clearly said it would not stop idiots with dangerous dogs,

but would the interviewer listen no he just kept talking over him as per usual but listening to this brainwashed idiot blue peter woman.

where's our freedom of choice gone?

ATB Seany :thumbs:

I new to this forum but wanted to quickly reply to this thread. Im a qualified microchip implant agent. You can't just buy microchips and equipment of the net. first you must complete a course. Companies that supply microchips will ask for your certificate and agent number before selling chips.

Sometimes the chips can migrate but implanting them between the withers and not in the scruff of the neck helps to reduce this also some chips are coated in Parylene C which is an Anti Migratory Coating

The Parylene C (a polymer vapour coating) that covers some microchip casings forms an irregular surface coating on the microchip. This promotes cell seeding and allows the tissue fibres within the animal to bond and grow around the microchip, holding it in place.

All my dogs are done, but my youngest Am Bulldog got a reaction & i got a vet bill of £230 to have a huge cyst & the offending chip removed, i think microchipping is a not a bad idea but i'm not totally for it. :hmm:

the chips are encased in a biocompatible glass to help prevent a reaction to a chip. sorry it happened to you but it is a very very rare occurrence

hope this little bit of info helps put some worries at ease..

and great forums :thumbs:

Iv'e said it before and now again,!

I agree personaly with the chipping.

I have Aladdin chipped, if just for my own peace of mind!

He has a selective earing disorder, lol.

He only comes when he aint busy with something else, and will carry on chasing till the quarry loses him.

By then he could be anywhere! He is young mind lol.

Id'e be much happier to think that there is one more chance of getting him back if he goes missing, than just hope!

I agreed with the old licencing rules anyway, but then Im'e not paronoid about Big Brother!

As far as insurance is concerned, I recon it should be up to the handler if he wants it, but I think I would rather pay something like 30 or 50 quid a year, than get sued for thousands and not being able to pay it.

These sight hounds of ours, can run like f**k, and if they hit a passer by they bloody hurt, and can cause some damage.

I know, I have been on the reciving end of Aladdins sideswipe a few times.

Also as you all know, a hound loves to chase, and anything that moves is fair game to them, however well trained they are.

If Aladdin had his way, there would be a lot of angry cat owners around our way with writs in their hands to give to me I can tell you, lol.

So yeh! I agree with Chipping andInsurance!