advice needed for first dog

hello guys, just looking for a bit of advice on getting my first dog. im only debating it so far but it would be worked with ferrets and on the lamp. i would be getting the dog second hand as i am new to training and havent much of a clue. i have a few questions first though, would the dog be okay living outside in a run if it was walked everyday? and how much time is needed to be spent with them as being 16 i am in college so would be absent during the day? any help appreciated, thanks.

Guest big e

Whippet x colliexgrey would do the job mate living outside in run no problem as long as you have good waterproof kennel and good bedding don't bother with any of it including dog if you don't have enough time for the dog it will require plenty of exercise

Whippet x colliexgrey would do the job mate living outside in run no problem as long as you have good waterproof kennel and good bedding don't bother with any of it including dog if you don't have enough time for the dog it will require plenty of exercise

yeah i know, ill have to have a good think about how much spare time i have because id rather not get a dog than get one and not give it much exercise etc etc

You will realise as you get older that this question can only be answered by one person, you. Everyone has different opinions, and there are few people that have owned every type of lurcher, hence, its very tough to answer. Only you know what you really want. All lurchers are well behaved, and most can do what others can do. It how you train them mate.

This question is always asked, search in the history... :thumbs:

• Like 1

At your age things change so quickly in life, girlfriends come along, maybe opportunities to travel.

Have a good think because many young lads get rid of dogs after a couple of years.

Could get knocked doon with a bus, not having a go but I was 16 when I got my first lurcher, never looked back :thumbs:

I wouldn,t get a dog "second hand " could be taking on somebody elses problems/bad habits,

:no:

Read some books, get yourself a pup and at your age and with young enthusiasm you should do well :thumbs:

Couldn't agree more. If you are going to get yourself a lurcher don't get an older dog 'just ready to start' as it's just about certain you'll be taking on something that someone's all but totally ruined or has problems. I speak from experience of once (long ago) being 18 and making this mistake!!!

thats what i was thinking, if i get one soon ill be able to get alot of experience so who knows :yes: ill just have a talk to one of my dads mates who keeps them and see what his opinion is :) cheers for all the advice anyway, really appreciated

Thats right mate go see one of your Dads mates and pick his brains and maybe tag along with him sometime........if his type of hunting/dogs suit you then try and go along those lines :thumbs:

At your age things change so quickly in life, girlfriends come along, maybe opportunities to travel.

Have a good think because many young lads get rid of dogs after a couple of years.

Could get knocked doon with a bus, not having a go but I was 16 when I got my first lurcher, never looked back :thumbs:

may i just ask, how old are you now?

How long have you seriously been burning to get a lurcher pal? I would say, give it a year, read up loads, try to get out with ya dads mate lamping etc learning what its all about and see if that burning inside you is still there come the end of next season. If it is then I would say you are commited enough to give a dog a fair chance assuming your circumstances allow. The only reason I say this is you are at an age where your life will change rapidly and frequently (believe me!) and to take on such a responsibility cannot be half arsed. It took me 5 years untill I could get my first dog, 5 years of that burning inside! But It made me realise it wasnt just a passing fad.

may i just ask, how old are you now?

39 :hmm: