Is anyone still ferreting?

if you feed your ferrets before you go sticking them down an earth then your likely to be in for a big wait, they sleep after a feast,not saying mine havent killed down but i have never had to use a spade plus i only work the smallest of my gills they find if harder to keep hold which results more in the net!!!works for me.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shooting them is a smart move - the above two posts are varying levels of stupidity.

I was out at the weekend. Everything was wrong as far as traditional ferreting was concerned but it was a paid job that had been delayed by the wait for some rabbit netting to be erected . Basically

Well there you have it the whole evolution of and hard-wired hunting instinct of one species re-routed thanks to a bag of dry ferret food and boiled rabbit. Utter crock of shit!!!   Can't believe yo

Posted Images

if you feed your ferrets before you go sticking them down an earth then your likely to be in for a big wait, they sleep after a feast,not saying mine havent killed down but i have never had to use a spade plus i only work the smallest of my gills they find if harder to keep hold which results more in the net!!!works for me.

Fairplay if it works for you :thumbs:

But we are not talking about a big feast, just a bit of grub before we go, and a diet of fresh rabbit.

Yer they kill sometimes, but not often, and if they do we dig and put the bunny in the bag.

But feeding them dry is in my opinion MORE likely to result in kills and feeding.

I like a good size jill, that will bolt it, but if it wont bolt, wont get f****d about and will just bottle it up and kill it, and move on.

my ferrets never stays down to ground even if they killed young. dry food is the key it takes along time but they adjust. i have never had to dig them out making a mess of the land.i give them rabbit every now and again but boil them first to make sure all the blood as run clear, if they are blood thursty then you will end up with problems all the time. its the same with dogs if they are blood thursty you will not stock break them,they will kill anything i site,hope this info helps

How's it going over there in Cukoo land?

Back to the topic - one thing always strikes me. If your in desperate need of going ferreting to keep the numbers down, to keep permission, to me it suggests one of a number of things.

Either -

- It's permission you have just got in summer and so need to make a sudden and visible impact.

- You're doing a pretty poor job over winter and need to take a look at what you are doing and what you promise.

- You have too much land and over stretched yourself, again making promises you can not keep.

Discuss.

Or...You're new to ferreting, have just started getting really into it and then the season ends and you don't want to stop, which whether right or wrong is understandable. I can certainly relate to it, I won't be doing anything with the ferrets til end of Sept but it's a major bummer :cry:

Edited by rob190364

i put a bit of dry food in the ferret boxs just level tea spoon just so they not looking to hard for food and goats milk at half time that work for me (each to ther own )

ROB190364 for your info pal if you read my post correctly ya spoon ive kept them for over 3 years now. i used to have them back in the 90s nearly 15 year ago so no im not new to it. im not on here to seek advise from computer bums who think they know everythin. alot of chatin s.h.i.t on here!!!

ROB190364 for your info pal if you read my post correctly ya spoon ive kept them for over 3 years now. i used to have them back in the 90s nearly 15 year ago so no im not new to it. im not on here to seek advise from computer bums who think they know everythin. alot of chatin s.h.i.t on here!!!

I think you'll probably find Robs post was aimed at me

I wish mine didn't kill the rabbits ,then i wouldn't have them we where ferreting up the side of a road and the big panic was they would kill under the road then Izzat lad got a reading of 16 foot at the verge so what did we do put another ferret in at the start to check we hadn't missed a rabbit . bloody handy a ferret that kills and comes out but how do you know that the warren could be full of live rabbits i can see a farmer being happy hes just paid you your leaving the farm yard and rabbits start coming out the burrows you have just ferreted and cleared

• Like 1

Spoon?? not been called that since I was about 10! No, you misunderstand what I was putting. I wasn't having a pop, or even refering to you specifically. I was replying to Ideations post about possible reasons why people would still be ferreting this time of year, I was just saying that I reckon that's the reason why some people still do it. Some people have to because that's what the farmer wants or to make sure they keep permission (which I think is what you were saying), but others still go because they don't want to stop, same with lamping. Just an observation, that's all.

atb

Spoon (apparently! :toast: )

I think you'll probably find Robs post was aimed at me

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, and as I put on my last post, I wasn't having a pop.

most bolt at first chance which is obvious, but if they kill then its still 1 less for next time. it takes along time, but like most creatures ferrets can be trained, alot of people have them living in their homes along with other pets and there not blood craving killing machines, if you want them like that then expect problems when they are down. everyone prefers their own methods and mine works for me. like i said there are lot of computer bums on this site who think they know! and alot of chatin s.h.i.t.

Edited by drw81

and alot of chatin s.h.i.t.

i.e. the comment about not being able to stock break lurchers that eat meat! and the comment about people having them living in their homes with other pets (irrelevant), and the comment about blood craving killing machines....they're predators, therefore they do kill, if they had no interest in killing then they probably wouldn't hunt and chase rabbits in the warren.

anyway, like you say, your method works for you.....fingers crossed there's a bowl of dried food down the warren next to the nest of newborns then so your ferrets go for that instead of the next, either that or the newborns bolt, as "most of them do" :thumbs:

i found a gill ferret a year half ago and it used to rag my hand every time i went near it (jekal) but my others were fine a guy i knew said he got one the same and sorted it out, within 6 month he had it running up his arm taking a treat from his mouth. so he told me afew tips, one was never feed raw meat,always boiled, the rest im not mentioning, and ive stuck by them.my gill is soft as shit now,all ferrets can be well trained in the right hands and still work very well.

Edited by drw81