Yet another blank...

Well, where do I begin?

I dropped the lad and missus of at home at 1830hrs and set off for my nearest permission which is about 10mins drive, hoping to see adult rabbits and kitts running about the fields like I had seen on Saturday when I took my lad up there for the lambing.

As I pull in to the yard, the land owner is carrying the hind legs of a lamb and the carcass of a chicken in to the kennel area. Curiosity gets the better of me and I ask what has happened. It turns out that Mrs Fox has been brave and has managed to take off with a lamb in the morning, presumably to feed her cubs. When Andy, the land owner and his yard hand, have gone off to find the fox, they also found the remains of a chicken carcass which was also fresh... After an hour searching for the livestock theif, they spotted a white lump down by a large tree at the very bottom of the permission which turned out to be the hind of the lamb they saw carried off only an hour or so before.

Well, this may also tie in with why I haven't seen many bunnies so far this year. The tree that Andy, had found the lamb near is one of my favourite vantage points as it gives me a good cover and great view of a big bank riddled with rabbit holes.

Anyhow, after being encouraged to sort out my FAC, Andy wishes me luck and I go off in hunt of some quarry of my own... Nothing, nada, not even a hint of a rabbit or a squirrel! 2hrs plus of stalking and I don't even get to fire my air rifle. I wouldn't mind so much but this is the 5th time out without a single shot fired! I know there are rabbits and kitts here because I've seen them and the fields were full of them the year before but I can't help but think that the recent fox invasion has put the frighteners on the bunnies.

Oh well, it won't stop me going back Friday morning and trying to bag some before breakfast!

Hi mate thats a nice account there.

Keep at it pal and your patience will pay off in the end.

The rabbits will be there but if mr Fox is in abundance they will be very wary about showing.

All animals have to eat though and go to the toilet so keep vigulant.

ATB

Si.

Hey pal.

Just gotta keep plugging had me 7th blank last night so your not alone pal.

Karpman

My permission is only just starting to come alive Karpman so, it can't be too long before yours will too mate. If you both have Foxes present and also Buzzards and Stoats or Polecats on your shoot, as I do, it's going to have an effect on how free and easy the rabbits can allow themselves to be at field-surface. They have to come out of cover to feed at some point and it might be worth preparing for a good dawn sortie, as I will have to start doing now, as this may be the time they feel is safest to be up feeding. Rabbits are very aware creatures. They have not survived for thousands of years by being careless and stupid. They will re-adapt their timetable at a stroke to avoid any risk of contact with their enemies.

All the best.

Simon