Shooting dogs worrying sheep

If a keeper/farmer threatens to shoot your dog, and you phone 999 and say he's threatening to shoot YOU !!! What do you think will happen ??? Helicopters and Armed Responce Units will happen, and the man with the gun will be in serious shit !! So, as I said, anyone thinking of shooting a dog these days, had better have a very good lawyer !!

My neighbours dogs have been aggressive towards my sheep on several occasions, and I have caught the neighbour encouraging the dogs onto my land - ongoing neighbourhood dispute over a right of way. I wrote to them a registered letter stating that IF their dogs were found in my sheep field I would shoot them. ( Shotgun cert only ) This was after checking with my local FAO who said I should warn them of the risks their dogs had of being shot.

For revenge they did just what you stated: They called 999 and said I had shot at them from my house when they were crossing my field. Helicopters, armed police, closed roads all around my farm. I was arrested and charged. Then released later that night as the police did not believe thier story, and forensics showed I had not fired any gun. They claimed later at interview that the day after I sent the letter I had verbally threatened to shoot their dogs on their own property and that is why they made the call to the police, and spiced things up. It took six weeks for the investigation to be complete, but my certificate ( and my wifes ) were returned with the shotguns confiscated, and the Firearm Manager personally visited, and he confirmed that if the dogs came onto my land and chased my sheep, I could shoot them. He also told the neighbours that same day that if there dogs came onto my land he expected that I would shoot them, and that he would not be interested in investigating any claim.

And now, just for added fun, the neighbours are being done by the police for perverting the course of public justice. That is jail time.

So yes, some idiot can make statements and call the police, but the police take the shooting of people very very seriously and investigate completely, and the truth will out!

• Like 3

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My neighbours dogs have been aggressive towards my sheep on several occasions, and I have caught the neighbour encouraging the dogs onto my land - ongoing neighbourhood dispute over a right of way. I

I would have no problem with a farmer shooting my dog.If it attacked his stock.At the end off the day.Its down to me to make sure its stock broken before its on the field.

To Dogmagic once more...   Ignoring your insults ("pricks such as yourself"), you clearly stated that if someone shot your dogs you think reasonable retaliation would be to burn down their house kil

If a keeper/farmer threatens to shoot your dog, and you phone 999 and say he's threatening to shoot YOU !!! What do you think will happen ??? Helicopters and Armed Responce Units will happen, and the man with the gun will be in serious shit !! So, as I said, anyone thinking of shooting a dog these days, had better have a very good lawyer !!

My neighbours dogs have been aggressive towards my sheep on several occasions, and I have caught the neighbour encouraging the dogs onto my land - ongoing neighbourhood dispute over a right of way. I wrote to them a registered letter stating that IF their dogs were found in my sheep field I would shoot them. ( Shotgun cert only ) This was after checking with my local FAO who said I should warn them of the risks their dogs had of being shot.

For revenge they did just what you stated: They called 999 and said I had shot at them from my house when they were crossing my field. Helicopters, armed police, closed roads all around my farm. I was arrested and charged. Then released later that night as the police did not believe thier story, and forensics showed I had not fired any gun. They claimed later at interview that the day after I sent the letter I had verbally threatened to shoot their dogs on their own property and that is why they made the call to the police, and spiced things up. It took six weeks for the investigation to be complete, but my certificate ( and my wifes ) were returned with the shotguns confiscated, and the Firearm Manager personally visited, and he confirmed that if the dogs came onto my land and chased my sheep, I could shoot them. He also told the neighbours that same day that if there dogs came onto my land he expected that I would shoot them, and that he would not be interested in investigating any claim.

And now, just for added fun, the neighbours are being done by the police for perverting the course of public justice. That is jail time.

So yes, some idiot can make statements and call the police, but the police take the shooting of people very very seriously and investigate completely, and the truth will out!

Finally some sense from the police, yes they have to investigate a fire arms complaint but I really hope they throw the book at you neighbour for what can only be described as a complete waste of Police time and resources. I would also consider legal action for the hassle caused due to no other reason than a fabricated lie.

Amen JG - Reality check at last. Quoting chapter and verse is one thing after the event but in the heat of the moment I wouldn't think twice either. As for the bloke who said he'd burn a mans house down a couple of pages back I think the c**t should be banned from the site for even implying it.

Sorry iam a bit late picking up on this thread but i have been away.

Matt its not a case of Quoting chapter and verse its a case of the law an act is law laid down by parliment not guidelines, if you can disreguard the law in the heat of the moment then you shouldnt be able to own any kind of firearm, thats how murder happens.

i fully agree that out of control dogs need to be delt with, farmers and gamekeeps need to protect their livelihoods. but at the same time need to protect themselves from the possible conciquences of shooting a dog. i have had a run in with a local farmer who thought my dogs had been worrying his stock and it got quiet heated, he threatend to shoot my dogs and i expressed my displeasure equally, as it turned out 2 days later he was at my door saying how sorry he was as he had caught the culpret and delt with them. But if he had of shot them in the heat of the moment at my house, he would be settling down for a stay in the big house.

Amen JG - Reality check at last. Quoting chapter and verse is one thing after the event but in the heat of the moment I wouldn't think twice either. As for the bloke who said he'd burn a mans house down a couple of pages back I think the c**t should be banned from the site for even implying it.

Sorry iam a bit late picking up on this thread but i have been away.

Matt its not a case of Quoting chapter and verse its a case of the law an act is law laid down by parliment not guidelines, if you can disreguard the law in the heat of the moment then you shouldnt be able to own any kind of firearm, thats how murder happens.

i fully agree that out of control dogs need to be delt with, farmers and gamekeeps need to protect their livelihoods. but at the same time need to protect themselves from the possible conciquences of shooting a dog. i have had a run in with a local farmer who thought my dogs had been worrying his stock and it got quiet heated, he threatend to shoot my dogs and i expressed my displeasure equally, as it turned out 2 days later he was at my door saying how sorry he was as he had caught the culpret and delt with them. But if he had of shot them in the heat of the moment at my house, he would be settling down for a stay in the big house.

Yes but if he had shot them in the heat of the moment at your house, he would quite clearly be in the wrong, because they were not worrying sheep at that point, or about to etc.

As for the point about heat of the moment generally, I think Matt means "at the time it is happening" and this paragraph covers it;-

4)For the purposes of this section the condition stated in either of the paragraphs of the preceding subsection shall be deemed to have been satisfied if the defendant believed that it was satisfied and had reasonable ground for that belief.

Ok, I haven't read all this so pull me up if you like, the condition "Shooting Dogs" is virtually non existant as far as I'm aware, as is "shooting burglers" and you don't need either if you have just cause.

Just the same, the condition, ALL OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY, covers your backside if in any doubt!

Ok, I haven't read all this so pull me up if you like, the condition "Shooting Dogs" is virtually non existant as far as I'm aware, as is "shooting burglers" and you don't need either if you have just cause.

Just the same, the condition, ALL OTHER LAWFUL QUARRY, covers your backside if in any doubt!

Agree. That is my point in point #94.

Similar to "reasonable force" in self defence.