what lines do u think are the best??

Patterdale? Easy mate,just buy and decent working terrier blood,start adding bull blood to them until the coats come out smooth and they dont have any working sense and BINGO.

ps i know a bloke who sells very cheap sowing machines ;)

ah but is the sewing machines out of singer ines as the rest are just wannabes :thumbs:

Obviously that post was a bit tongue in cheek,but its not far from the truth regarding some "lines".Ive seen some good smooth coated dogs you could describe as Patterdales years ago,and my own dogs threw the odd smooth pup even though they were mainly rough or broken coated.

Ive seen a few smooth coated dogs bred by J.Price work and they were ok,no immediate bull blood in them as far as i know,and i ran a pup on for a mate from N.Yorks some years ago that was probably a type of Patterdale,i dont know anybody these days who keeps this type though,would be nice to see some if anybody still has them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because of legal issues this Topic can't be fully and truthfully discussed. For 'Historical reference' I will give my tuppence worth. There were guys out there who went digging purely for Badgers and

you dont say the l word on this site mate

best patterdales are the worker x worker ... feck the lines ... aint heard of half of them and dont want to

Posted Images

the BEST ones are those being worked :thumbs: all the so-called lines :hmm: are so inter mixed its just one line of terriers, find someone in your area who works his dogs, :toast: thats the best line for you :thumbs: rest of it is all hype and ego's :whistling: edited to add money making

spot on moddey-doo, and remember stay clear of the website peddlers. I dont think I have ever seen a real worker come from any website kennel here in the states, just a bunch of money hungry peddlers...all the best...and if there was a particular line that was the best, we would all own terriers from it. depends on your individual needs..

the BEST ones are those being worked :thumbs: all the so-called lines :hmm: are so inter mixed its just one line of terriers, find someone in your area who works his dogs, :toast: thats the best line for you :thumbs: rest of it is all hype and ego's :whistling: edited to add money making

spot on moddey-doo, and remember stay clear of the website peddlers. I dont think I have ever seen a real worker come from any website kennel here in the states, just a bunch of money hungry peddlers...all the best...and if there was a particular line that was the best, we would all own terriers from it. depends on your individual needs..

So what does the different types of patterdale bring to the table then , Pros and Cons?

So what does the different types of patterdale bring to the table then , Pros and Cons?

like the lads above are saying forget big names worker to worker only

what lines do you think are the best in Patterdales?

Dumbest question ever, why don’t you ask something political or religious while you’re at it…. Once again there are shit eaters in every line and workers also PLUS everything in-between lol. Feckin 7 post in to funny.

i'm not saying just worker to worker, :icon_redface: you can't be sure if they are one offs :doh: , what i was trying to say was pick a pup from a local guy who works his dogs i think blood lines are important worker to worker from a working line :thumbs:

not saying lines are not important obviously there vital just saying workers only wouldnt dream of lining a dog i didnt know where it came from no matter how good

i'm not saying just worker to worker, :icon_redface: you can't be sure if they are one offs :doh: , what i was trying to say was pick a pup from a local guy who works his dogs i think blood lines are important worker to worker from a working line :thumbs:

not saying lines are not important obviously there vital just saying workers only wouldnt dream of lining a dog i didnt know where it came from no matter how good

:D:thumbs:

It is impossible to judge lines as a whole because= even if joe-blow has terrific terriers of a certain line that work like hell doesnt mean that the guy down the road that owns terriers from the same genes will be equal...Why?, because maybe Joe-blow worked the shite out of his terriers putting working ability first before breeding , when the guy down the road never properly tested his terriers before he made the breedings.. even if he produces the odd worker now and then his %'s will never be the same as joe-blow because the terriers was not bred for working ability, just a fast dollar.. remember 1 bad breeding can ruin your whole line.. Try to find yourself a fellow that you know for sure works his terriers, go hunting with him so you will see first hand just what you will be getting. Stay away from website kennels..ANYONE WHO SELLS WORKING TERRIERS FROM A WEBSITE IS A FECKING JOKE!!!!! THAT TERRIER IN YOUR AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A TERRIER I KNOW OF NAMED OTIS. Is that him???

ah up steve pal,, got two cracking pats pal, me dogs a absolute belter and the bitch is a cracker too.. there out there my friend :toast:

Any pics mate,genuinly would like to see whats out there :thumbs:

And maybe its just me? but with Patterdale being an actual place,where the dogs were originated,shouldn't there be only one type of Patterdale? I think the name Patterdale has just become the standard description for any smooth coated type terriers no matter what their breeding is? and if you breed a litter and produce 4 rough and 2 smooth,are the rough's lakelands and the smooths Patterdales?

Most likely the true Patterdales and Rough lakelands have been interbred for donkeys years,if you saw a well proven worker you liked would you not use it because of the coat type? I doubt it.

look at me gallery steve put some pics up when out with the dogs last week mate

ah up steve pal,, got two cracking pats pal, me dogs a absolute belter and the bitch is a cracker too.. there out there my friend :toast:

Any pics mate,genuinly would like to see whats out there :thumbs:

And maybe its just me? but with Patterdale being an actual place,where the dogs were originated,shouldn't there be only one type of Patterdale? I think the name Patterdale has just become the standard description for any smooth coated type terriers no matter what their breeding is? and if you breed a litter and produce 4 rough and 2 smooth,are the rough's lakelands and the smooths Patterdales?

Most likely the true Patterdales and Rough lakelands have been interbred for donkeys years,if you saw a well proven worker you liked would you not use it because of the coat type? I doubt it.