condition and fitness of coursing dogs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i would have thought that was standard with any dog ,fella

Aye, or water, does no c**t give their dogs water!!!

to be able to check a dog over is the first thing,rather run a dog than walk it feet off

allthough 2/3 mile a day tones a dog up,

the dog would do those few miles while going out and looking for the runs it needs to be fit.

Also the guys who live around my area who ran and still run the big land have it good. Its moorland, and there is nothing better than to work a dog on rough big uplands to get it fit. Much more demanding on muscles than the flat land(till they get behind something).

Also remember that each and every dog is different, and some salukis have weight problems were they cant hold any. And it drops off them with in 5 mins..

to be able to check a dog over is the first thing,rather run a dog than walk it feet off

the dog would do those few miles while going out and looking for the runs it needs to be fit.

Also the guys who live around my area who ran and still run the big land have it good. Its moorland, and there is nothing better than to work a dog on rough big uplands to get it fit. Much more demanding on muscles than the flat land(till they get behind something).

Also remember that each and every dog is different, and some salukis have weight problems were they cant hold any. And it drops off them with in 5 mins..

Has anyone used the treadmill instead of road work? Ive heard mixed reports.

Has anyone used the treadmill instead of road work? Ive heard mixed reports.

Yes the dogs didnt enjoy it .Its not just about fitness its also about the psychological aspect.you cant beat free running them where theres a few rabbits

never really had a coursing dog, but say if you had coule days coursing that week. Would you still give the miles to the dog just before that week, as i was told the best of the dog could be lost on the roads or fields, before the day . :hmm: . As i said not had dog for that job, only had lamping dogs+mooching dogs. And say if was lamping that week, i still take them out but just enough to keep them ticking over, as i like them fresh+ well up for it on the night i go out. :thumbs: . Dont know if its the same with a coursing dog.??

It all depends on how fit the dog is and how much stamina the dog has.. The fitter the dog the sooner the recovery rate is... On massive days out hunting it WOULD BE wise to rest the dog the day before IMO. on a normal days running them, if the dog is fit enough if should be able to cope. The more runs, the fitter the dog..

TRUE WORDS TO A POINT MATE. TOO MUCH RUNNING UPHILL USES THE DOGS MUSCLES IN AN IREGULAR WAY, BACK LEGS ARE GETTING STRETCHED TO PROPEL UPWARDS, NOT FORWARDS. FRONT LEGS HOWEVER HAVE A SHORTER STRIDE GOING UPHILL COMPARED TO RUNNING A FLAT PARK. ALL GOOD IN BALANCED EXERCISE. SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE THAT FINISHING YOUR RUN ON A GOOD HILL WILL EMPTY THE TANK & LEAVE YOU KNACKERED :thumbs:

TRUE WORDS TO A POINT MATE. TOO MUCH RUNNING UPHILL USES THE DOGS MUSCLES IN AN IREGULAR WAY, BACK LEGS ARE GETTING STRETCHED TO PROPEL UPWARDS, NOT FORWARDS. FRONT LEGS HOWEVER HAVE A SHORTER STRIDE GOING UPHILL COMPARED TO RUNNING A FLAT PARK. ALL GOOD IN BALANCED EXERCISE. SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE THAT FINISHING YOUR RUN ON A GOOD HILL WILL EMPTY THE TANK & LEAVE YOU KNACKERED :thumbs:

:thumbs:

be nice to hear some tried and tested methods off people who have actually ran in the comp :notworthy:

Just saying why would people come on telling you how to get your dog in top nick for a comp just for one day you get a dog good enough to knock them out with there method they told if you know what l mean.

Match men keep there methods too themselfs so they can stay the best a bit like most sports that is how there the best at what they do and we all just keep trying :thumbs:

be nice to hear some tried and tested methods off people who have actually ran in the comp :notworthy:

Just saying why would people come on telling you how to get your dog in top nick for a comp just for one day you get a dog good enough to knock them out with there method they told if you know what l mean.

Match men keep there methods too themselfs so they can stay the best a bit like most sports that is how there the best at what they do and we all just keep trying :thumbs:

Not always, genuine dog men give good advice, and descent tips, if you know the right fella's... THese days its all about money, and being better than the next ..

yep good points Davie. and something to take on board. I speak from experience, and all their lives, the dogs i have at the moment have worked rugged, or smooth hills/mountains. I would say they are pretty fit. Finished this season gone running flatter ground. The dogs were coming back as if they hadnt been to work. I know theres different fitness levels etc, and each dog is different... :thumbs: