whot made a good earthdog back in the day

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a very good dig without locater,fair play,how long did it take to locate dog and did ye get a result at the end.That looks about 10ft you must have great hearing or the terrier in question had some voice on him.Dug maybe 6to7ft a few times years back without locater to a brilliant sounder who could mix it aswell.These days im like my old dog half deaf an half blind,thank god for locaters.

Ear to the ground seperates the terrier man from the wannabes.

Back in the day,have you ever known a terrier to kill a badger to ground?

Never(Its impossable my opinion)Heard plenty of people boasting about haveing dogs that have killed to ground (all were wanabees)Sometimes when people dug down and the badger was dead they thought the dog killed it.THey sometimes smother when they dig in.

Never(Its impossable my opinion)Heard plenty of people boasting about haveing dogs that have killed to ground (all were wanabees)Sometimes when people dug down and the badger was dead they thought the dog killed it.THey sometimes smother when they dig in.

(outside of UK) I have dug to a few in the pot a few times and due to what id say is lack of oxygen some were not 100% due to being packed in like sardines.

Have to agree with liam earth dogs that kill brock to ground are few and far between.As liam said a lot of lads have said they dug to a dead badger and give the terrier the credit but most would have smothered from just gettin dug in.

Dead on.Good honest reply.

but whot whoud you lot call a hard dog one that will just steam in or one that will bay a bit ond pick the time to go in for the kill

i have a hard dog at home he s never bayed once couldnt put him in without collar on could only work him once every 5 to 6 weeks not ideal but comes in handy from time to time

i wouldnt keep a dog that didnt sound. and i wouldnt breed of a dog that didnt sound. ive dug many times without a locator. its good practice to try not to use the box as often as possible although its not advisable to ever be without one. in my opinion a good voice is essential in a terrier even more in this day and age :thumbs:

i wouldnt keep a dog that didnt sound. and i wouldnt breed of a dog that didnt sound. ive dug many times without a locator. its good practice to try not to use the box as often as possible although its not advisable to ever be without one. in my opinion a good voice is essential in a terrier even more in this day and age :thumbs:

agree with alot of what you are saying there dug before locator boxs myself and a dog that doesnt sound isnt ideal but to get rid of dog for being to hard would be crazy even nowadays and agree wouldnt breed off him wouldnt want

a kennel full of them

agree with alot of what you are saying there dug before locator boxs myself and a dog that doesnt sound isnt ideal but to get rid of dog for being to hard would be crazy even nowadays and agree wouldnt breed off him wouldnt want

a kennel full of them

i'm not against hard dogs. its difficult not to admire them. i just prefare a good sounder :thumbs: