Is this land big enough?

Good evening everyone, Theres an old lady near me, she has a problem with rabbits ruining her "allotment" as it was, she plants vegetables etc and no sooner are they planted theyre ripped up and thrown across her garden.

She owns this property (1) and she also owns the field to the side (all highlighted in the boundries of property 1) which has stables etc on it, Also her son lives next door in property 2, his is more of a massive garden than a field, but also has the same problem with rabbits.

Im a very close family friend to these guys and they've asked me to sort the rabbits with my shotgun, its a bit of a ballache tbh, Id like to apply for FAC and get .22lr and possibly something bigger .243 (maybe a bit big) for the occasional fox.

I dont want to apply if I havent got a chance in hell of getting a FAC so do you think this land is adequate?

sattelite.jpg

zoom.jpg

Plot 2 is very small and will be hard to take a safe shot ! Plot 1 is better size but how flat is the land as there are a lot of houses within 1000m and a .17 hmr will easily reach them ?

Don't know if you know how loud even a moderated hmr is as other home owners might not like late night mulit shots ?

Best bet would be to speak to your local FEO and see if the land has been cleared for FAC use; if not would it cleared if requested. You can't use an FAC rated firearm anywhere you like. My local FEO is a gem and simply visited the land I asked him to clear and rang me and told me it was all done. I suspect the acreage is as important as the likelyhood of not being able to guarantee a safe backstop as is the bigger the area the more likely it would be cleared.

Good luck.

David

I agree that plot 2 is just too small, It literally is just a big garden. Plot 1 was my main question, I think that would be the one if any that might get accepted The land slopes down from top to bottom, so the top of the field would be the top of the hill and gradually slopes from that.

Noise wouldnt be an issue because all the houses around there, are all owned by folks 70+ and most weekends their's a shotgun cracking off somewhere around there (think its the farmer from the farm to the left of plot 1) Id be looking at shooting on weekend daytime only (mainly saturday)

Edited by Dan_Mercian

Depends really. If you can put plot 1 AND plot 2 in as one ground, then it might improve your chances. How big an area is it? Would an air rifle not do the job? With a bit of fieldcraft a sub 12-ft.lb air rifle can bag up as well as a .22LR.

I can't see why you shouldn't get it approved for a .22 though, there would appear to be safe lines of shot. A lot depends on the topography though, will you have a safe backstop? You haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of getting it cleared for a CF though I'm afraid, so .243 is out.

Yeah I figured .243 would be a big ask :D Theres only one or two foxes anyway and theyre not doing any damage, infact theyre probably helping matters if anything!

The son does own both plots so I guess I could put them both in as one! Ill try to get in touch with my FEO, He was a cracking guy anyway, he said to me in the SGC interview "When you want to get your FAC....which you will....I guarantee it!, Just get in touch" haha

Ive just had a quick flick through youtube and it looks like .17hmr will do both rabbit and fox, so would that be a better choice?

Just a word of caution regarding you wanting a .17HMR for fox control. Firearms officers in our area don't consider it a fox round. I'd go for the .22. As already stated you will not be granted .243 on that permission mate. Happy hunting.

ATB Mick

I dont think its an issue with size more an issue with safety,if the land has no safe back stops, then you should use other solutions, you can use a air rifle, (low power) and no need for the expense of an FAC.

longnets and a day ferreting, will without doubt have big results within a confined area.

other techniques you may wish to use is snaring or you could use a drop box on the boundarys.

so its not all bad news and expense.

At a last resort get an FAC powered air rifle

If the ground has some sensible trees you could mention to the feo that you would use a highseat I know of a lad who shoots a small plot which is flat as a witches tit but has some substantial trees and he got a .22 after saying he would use a highseat as appropriate :thumbs:

I got less than 50 acres cleared for "full bore". The FEO said fine for up to .308! All depends on how it looks on the day they visit. Learn your land, think about your safe lines of fire BEFORE they get there, and be able to demonstrate that they are there. As mentioned, think about siting a high seat or two, they can give you the effective "safe backstop" and get the land cleared.

Remember that at the end of the day all they are interested in is if there are safe shots. If you think there are, then there's no reason they should decline it. Most FEO's are shooting men, or at least know a bit about it and aren't "anti" so if you can show you are responsible and have thought through the safety, then he'll be far more inclined to say yes.

As for the CF, I said it was unlikely, but not impossible. The only way to find out is to try!

I tend to agree with the opinion expressed earlier here that a few dozen snares set around the perimeter of that land will harvest those cotton-tails way faster than any shooting is likely to, but with the added benefit of not having to be concerned about nearby houses or that road in the lower left of the picture.

An HMR would be a bit silly on a plot that size where there is so much cover enabling you to hide behind trees and bushes. If it has not been shot before the rabbits will not be spooked so getting within 50 yards or so should be easy. Moderated .22LR is ideal as the police will be happy with it and no-one will even hear that you are there.

Have a word with the farmer who owns the adjoining field as you could then walk his boundary and you could shoot towards the hedge without worrying about bullets entering his property, which without his permission would be illegal, armed trespass is not a good idea.

As was suggested earlier, don't shy away from sub 12lb air rifles. A good one will cost you more than a .22LR but you would not have to worry about FAC and could use it anywhere with the landowners permission, they are very powerful and if you have never fired a modern PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) type you will be amazed.

I just don't see the point of FAC air (more than 12lb) in a situation like this. You still need a FAC and air weapons can be very expensive. My sub 12lb Theoben Rapid which is a stunning gun, shoots peanuts off cocktail sticks at 40 yards every time and rabbits up to about 50 yards (not enough punch much beyond that) would set you back around £1000. I did consider converting the Rapid to FAC but that would reduce its value and it is a one way process, you cannot convert it back.

So... Option 1 - buy a good air rifle and just get on with it, Option 2 - get an FAC and buy a 22LR with moderator.

Les