just seen a guy from some sort of conservation trust lamping woodcock,off he goes armed with nothing more than a lamp and a landing net litteraly walked straight up to it and put the net over,very easy but iv never seen it done before,ringed and released no harm done.

they can tell from where it has come from before it came to the uk by certain chemicals in their feathers apparently,something like that anyway only caught the jist of it really.

he was saying about them having 360 degree vision but cant see the end of their beak,they overcome this by having special chemical receptors in the end of their beak which allows them to find their food when foraging,quite interesting :thumbs:

• Like 2

sounds like a right laugh might watch that instead of going out wi my mates tonight an having a propper laugh :whistling:

think the words i used were "quite interesting"if its not your thing f**k off and find something that is,i dont know bit of education wasted on some people but hey what the f**k you expect on here,its a game bird half the bloody country never likely to come across,hunting not all about having a laugh mate,its also about knowing whats going on around you :bye:

• Like 1

sounds like a right laugh might watch that instead of going out wi my mates tonight an having a propper laugh :whistling:

just coz your a feckless moron, doesn't mean you have to put people down who have somthing intelligent to talk about. now piss of back to what ever dump you cralwed out of.

• Like 1

think the words i used were "quite interesting"if its not your thing f**k off and find something that is,i dont know bit of education wasted on some people but hey what the f**k you expect on here,its a game bird half the bloody country never likely to come across,hunting not all about having a laugh mate,its also about knowing whats going on around you :bye:

Watchman, I agree, there is some nuggets who post crap for some unknown reason...baffles me :no:

See loads in the woods, never seen one out in the open. :thumbs:

That surprises me mate we see loads out feeding in the middle of the fields when we are lamping they seem to prefer the fields with stock so may be there is more food for them.

Found it on I player starts at 21mins http://www.bbc.co.uk...how_02_03_2011/

enjoyed that one my favourite birds thanks watchman :thumbs:

glad you put that up mate as i said only caught the jist of it yesterday,iv only ever seen a handfull over the years and believe me iv covered some miles,i think its regarded as one of the,if not the ultimate doubles in the shooting circles and the way they spring up when flushed/ spooked and what with their eratic flight through a wood i can appreciate why :thumbs:

glad you put that up mate as i said only caught the jist of it yesterday,iv only ever seen a handfull over the years and believe me iv covered some miles,i think its regarded as one of the,if not the ultimate doubles in the shooting circles and the way they spring up when flushed/ spooked and what with their eratic flight through a wood i can appreciate why :thumbs:

They certainly are special I choose not to shoot them now I have shot my share never a double though it is the only animal that I have ever shot and regretted killing so decided I didn't need to shoot any more, that said if others like to shoot them then crack on they take a bit of hitting :thumbs:

They certainly are special I choose not to shoot them now I have shot my share never a double though it is the only animal that I have ever shot and regretted killing so decided I didn't need to shoot any more, that said if others like to shoot them then crack on they take a bit of hitting :thumbs:

very respectful :thumbs: