I have a technical quizz!

Would there be any difference if the gas ram was inverted and the tube part of it was pushed towards the barrel rather than the rod?

If one end was lighter than the other I expect it would push it faster hence slightly quicker lock time?

I sit back and watch!

Edited by jasper65
Moved! Wrong Section.

the pressure is constant which ever way its released

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Hello mate welcome to the site :welcomeani:

We had a bit of a change around on here the other day we have got a section especially for technical questions for future reference.

hope you enjoy the site 8)

ATB

Si

The cylinder is a fairly tight fit in the tube, if I remember correctly from the ones I've fitted.

The pressure is the same, so the total amount of energy available to accelerate whichever end you use is constant. A lighter item will have less inertia than a heavier item. So the lighter item will accelerate more quickly.

I'm still uncertain that what you are suggesting can be achieved though, could you clarify what you intend to do? Remember that if you accelerate the air faster, you are likely to increase the power level, possibly pushing you over the legal limit.

Well thanks for the interest,

Over time I have noticed a few things that were revisited after years of being in production with a better solution coming out of it.

Also I dont not have a working air rifle at the moment my Sheridan Co2 needs resealing and I am wondering what to buy, Co2, gas ram (or a springer to convert to gas ram) or PCP when my next permit arrives. We need a current permit here in Australia, cant just walk in and buy one. The older styles rifle appeal to me more than the modern, generally big heavy rifles.

I was looking at a Cedado model 50 in .177 and I wonder if a gas ram will go in one of those?

Anyone know what gas rams will fit into and what they wont?

Cheers

Ken

(Ill try to keep my ponderings to a minimum)

Please don't limit your ponderings, we all learn from each others ramblings (and I ramble more than most!)

I'm not familiar with the rifle you mention, is it possible that it's an Aussie thing? Your best bet for finding out which gas rams fit which rifles is to approach one of the gas ram manufacturers. I would definitely recommend a gas ram over a springer, so much quieter and so much less recoil.

Out of interest, as you need to have a permit, are you limited to the power you can have? In the UK we can hold a rifle that produces up to 12 ft.lb (16.3 J) without a licence. Any more than that and we have to have a firearms certificate, with a slot for an FAC air rifle of the correct calibre.

ETA Google can't seem to find any mention of a cedado air rifle, is the spelling correct?

Edited by matt_hooks

I was trying to find that gun too, Matt but all I got was some place in Brazil :blink:

I'm a fan of gas rams too, I've had a few retro fit ones and I use an HW90 now. There's a company called AWT who make the rams that Theoben use for their own guns and also most of the retro fit kits too. Very good quality gear :thumbs:

Keep on pondering, fella!!

Cheers.

Gecado with a G, sorry about that! I think the name is pronounced She-card-oh.

Here in NSW, Australia a new permit for each purchase, two guns = two permits etc, $30 each permit.

Power is not mentioned with air guns.

Strangely I can get a permit called a 'Class A or B' to buy an air rifle, then go and buy a rimfire or shotgun with that permit which includes a 17HMR or .22WRM. With a permit for a rimfire or shotty, go and buy an air rifle with the permit. I have to tick one of those boxes on the form or they might send it back.

cheers

Ken

Ah apparently Gecado was a trading name for Diana rifles. Very nice rifles, but fairly old now. The mod 50's not been made since the early 80's.

Not sure if you can get a gas ram to fit them, would be worth contacting the gas ram manufacturers and asking.