First Lamping session in a while.

R4881T

Hi all,

Well after drawing a blank on the new permission today, I was desperate to shoot some Rabbits. My usual permission has a lot of dusk activity, so I popped home for some lunch then headed for the yard at about half four.

I got there and they were already out and about but were fairly cautious still. I laid up and waited, ambush style and within 5 mins the first was in the bag, not lamped though as it was still just about light enough. It was a good solid 25 yrd head shot, the result 1 stone dead bunny, didn't even kick.

So I waited in that spot for about 10 mins and nothing was showing (they normally come out pretty soon after one has been shot. I moved on to my favourite place at this permission. There used to be a nice straw filled goat shelter that made an excellent hide, but when the goat popped its clogs, so did my hide.

Instead I set up under a fence and used some poles from horse jumps as a rest. It was well and truly dark now so on went the lamp. Flicked it on and 20 yrds in front of me was what was to be rabbit number two, clinical head shot again. Reloaded, and swept the lamp left, and took a 30yarder within 30 seconds of the last one. Just a touch of holdover as my zero is only 25 yrds as I like to get really close.

I got up and went for a mooch around and saw a couple out of range that had scarpered by the time I had crept close enough. I then went back to the fence with the poles and waited for about half an hour, then I got cold, and a bit jittery cause of the lamping on your own monsters!!!! :o:D

So back to the van I went, had a quick look around the back of the stables and there was a rabbit out at about 15yrd which I missed, but the less said about that the better. :doh:

Hope I havnt bored you too much!

Cheers

Ryan

post-58985-0-21524300-1298753752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice trip mate :p

I've been out lamping rabbits for the first time yesterday as well but didn't see anything (well just one bunny out of range :D). It was on my new permission and I didn't have a chance to scout it yet. Not sure if it was too late (around 9.30 p.m.) or too cold as it was a bit frosty fair enough. Or maybe both.

What time do you usually go out lamping? And what was the weather like?

atb mate and nice write up,

.Tomek

Nice trip mate :p

I've been out lamping rabbits for the first time yesterday as well but didn't see anything (well just one bunny out of range :D). It was on my new permission and I didn't have a chance to scout it yet. Not sure if it was too late (around 9.30 p.m.) or too cold as it was a bit frosty fair enough. Or maybe both.

What time do you usually go out lamping? And what was the weather like?

atb mate and nice write up,

.Tomek

I like to go out at least half an hour before dark to work out where to get set up, and then work out how best to approach the nights shooting, ie, do I go static or mobile? It wasnt too cold, although I have shot rabbits in -6 (there was frost on my rifle) so can it be too cold?

Well done buddy, great shooting.

Have a slut point on me.

Oooooo thank you!

And cheers for the comments everyone else!