hunting in lancashire

DIDO.1

I remember getting a bit of opportunist work for the terriers of the holcombe hunt 30odd yrs ago me and a mate had been up the back of the deerplay checking the drains and earths ,we watched them run one in a pipe drain we ran over ask if we could use our terrier thier were only 4 or 5 folk near and the terrier man was not one of them bolted the fox for them ,the lad on the horse thanked us and of they went hunt terrier man for 10 mins i was a proud lad when the fox bolted

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I follow the Holcombe hunt whenever I can if ya need any contact details let me know

I remember getting a bit of opportunist work for the terriers of the holcombe hunt 30odd yrs ago me and a mate had been up the back of the deerplay checking the drains and earths ,we watched them run

to research hunts that no longer exist try contacting the hunts that still exist and ask who used to hunt next to them you will

be surprised by the info you can glean , start with the Cheshire's and Cheshire forest , then work your way north, ask the lake land packs if the hunted at joint meet in lancs , its all there :thumbs:

most of the packs im interested in wer small harrier packs whos country was later included within what is now the holcombe country. Most had disapeared by the early 1900's. I have been and will contact nearby packs but just hoped somebody had at least heard of some of the packs im looking for, any little scraps of info about book referances etc. some old local history books may have an odd photo, things I can piece together, its stuff like that I need as well.

Cheers

you need to get hold of BRITISH AND IRISH HUNTS AND HUNTSMAN THERE ARE THREE VOLUMES :thumbs:

It's a difficult subject to research, I do quite a lot of it with varying degree's of success

http://cumbrian-lad.com/index.htm,

the best way to start is to use Google, if your near Preston Record Office there is material ( it's actually hand written songs)in there on a pack from around Pendle now long gone.

You might also try the local newspaper archives,they are a goldmine, but copies of the article your interested in can be expensive per sheet

it is surprising how many now long defunct packs had books written about them for example

http://www.archive.org/details/bedalehounds183200reyn

Occasionally there is stuff on e bay http://cumbrian-lad.com/OldPix.htm

Cheers for that pal. Iv seen your site before via liams. Im mainly interested in the west lancs harrier packs who's countries are quickly disapearing under development but it is an up hill struggle.

• 3 months later...