Lightweight Springer.

Hi all,

I am 16 years old, and as funds will available to me soon, I am looking into getting a good springer to shoot live vermin, (under supervision of someone over 21 of course)

I have been looking into the Air Arms TX200. Which I understand is a very high quality rifle.

The only query I have is the weight.

Now I'm not a 'noodle arms' (as I've heard it referred to), neither am I a body builder.

So I was wondering if people thought this would be a good rifle for someone of my age and build.

Or would the Hunter Carbine TX200 be a better substitute, or a HW77?

Thanks in advance,

ATB

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Best bet is having a hold at your local shop.

If the TX200 and HW77 are to heavy try the Weihrauch HW95k mate. Should be able to pick a decent one up quite cheap as well, around 200 quid should see you with a decent combo. Hope this helps.

Mikey.

i am also 16 and borrow my grandads tx200hc, in my opinion weight isnt a problem, i found it quite hard to cock after a while though as my arms got tired, but could still aim straight.. his sling on the tx200 points out a flaw, as the underlever is spring ball loaded it opens easily...

atb

ian

All the rifles you mention really are not that heavy Adam.

To hear some people, you'd think these were made from billets of solid lead! :no: But...my boy Josh is only 14 and a small-framed lad and he's happily shot with my TX200s and Weihrauch HW80 and HW77 without problems. :yes:

I have all the rifles you ask about and the very best is the Weihrauch HW77.

Mine is the full length .22 and it's virtually recoiless and as accurate as an air rifle is possible to be. The TX200 and TX200HC carbine is very good indeed. Especially in .177, it is honestly superb and there's no noticeable weight difference. But the HW77 has a far better underlever lock-up, the Rekord trigger is still the best and easiest adjustable trigger in the world and the rifle will never, ever let you down.

I would have no hesitation or qualms in taking on a top pcp and a top shot in competition with my HW77, such is my faith in mine.

Sure it makes sense to get a sling fitted to them (however, I do not have one fitted on my TX200 rifle; it would keep pulling the underlever open!) but, get into a correct prone position with your rifle's heft properly and comfortably supported in your hands and shoulder and you'll be grateful for how well the weight really works in your aim stability's favour.

It honestly baffles me when I read posts on all forums bemoaning how heavy these guns are supposed to be. These guys really are pansy-arsed wimps that need their pcps' because they couldn't hit diddly doodly with a real rifle; it would be too heavy for the poor wee dears. :laugh::feck:

(Just my friendly fire!)

Certainly go with the comments regarding the Weihrauch HW95. Lovely little rifle! :thumbs:

Simon

Edited by pianoman

Thanks very much for the replies.

I sort of had my question answered for me while I was just out.

I was at a local engineering comany where one of the workers owns a HW77.

I was telling him about my predicament whilst holding his rifle..

I said if it was the weight of his HW77 it wouldn't be a problem and asked him how much it weighed.

He fetched out the scales and it read 4.5Kg.

Well, as the TX200 is supposed to be a 4.2Kg, and i was shouldering the HW77 with ease I dont think i should have much of a problem.

Anyway, I shall visit my local air rifle shop and have a gander with the HW77, TX200 and HC, and the HW95.

Thanks all for the help :thumbs:

ATB,

Adam.

Get yourself down to a well stock RFD and get him to let you pick up the riles you're interested in. The overall weight isn't everything, balance is as important. Some rifles have the weight well forward (generally anything with a separate cocking handle, so under and side lever) whereas others will have the weight well back. In use, the rifle with the balance towards the butt end will feel lighter for the same weight, and will be easier to hold steady on aim for unsupported shots, but may be more prone to muzzle flip.

Like I say, try a few out, have a few shots and see which one FEELS right! Don't get hung up on the total weight. 4 1/2 Kg is a fair old chunk to carry around all day, but not too bad with a sling (my .243 weighs less than that, and can still get tiring when you've carried it for 8 hours stalking!)