Looking to start ferreting

Joe67

LOL

am getting 2 rabbit hutchs tomorrow,one needs repaird.

can anyone post a link to a site were i can order good dry ferret food?

also am thinking about using recycled cardboard bedding,what do yous think will be ok?here is some details on the bedding:

Ecopetbed is made from Recycled Cardboard. This cardboard is not 'post-consumer' waste, but new cardboard waste from box manufacturing and unused stocks. (May contain a small percentage of coloured card),Ecopetbed is dust extracted.,Ecopetbed is warm & comfortable, it's random cut makes the bed bulky and comfortable, by trapping air.,Ecopetbed is absorbent, urine is absorbed by the corrugated core of the cardboard through the clean cut edge to retain moisture without effecting to the rest of the bed. Virtually eliminates odours.

i was looking on the internet for more information on ferrets,i seen this about the water bottle and thought is ask for your opinions on this as ive seen many of you say use the bottle and not a bowl.

Do not use water bottles for ferrets: These are unsanitary, damage teeth and do not allow a dehydrating ferret to get enough water to survive. Ferrets also wash their faces in water, so an open source is necessary for their hygiene.

like many of you ill be using my ferret(when i get one) to work,but also plan to bring it in doors and handle it/let it rome about so it gets used to me,if i plan to bring the ferret indoors alot should i get it descented,is the sent really that bad?

i also seen some information on the war dance?have anyof you seen this?sounds interesting

Edited by Joe67

alright mate thanks.i picked up one of the hutchs tonight and gave the rabbit away to someone on gumtree who was looking for one.why do people get pets and look after them like this,i know its a rabit....fook knows when this was last cleaned and the roof was saging/damp/leaking.anyway ive removed the roof and bleached the whole inside,most of the hutch is ok,the roof could be reused i think if refelted but theres some dampness in it from were it leaked,i might replace it or dry it out and refelt.what am wondering is what wood treatment would be ok to use on the hutch?dont wanna paint the hutch and the ferret dies...

Edited by Joe67

aye slowly getting there,i got a pack of straw with the hutch so ill use that first,i take it yous just put down a few sheets of news paper then a good layer of straw ontop?

rake aboot where do you get the dry ferret food?i was gonna order some soonish

I use wood shavings mate

Buy them in bales from the Drum estate shop,along the road from you

They do food as well. Think it might be chudleys though

If you like I`ll check the shop in Tranent and see if they have any Alpha left

Your local pet shop can get you what you want though (Alpa or James Wellbeloved)

:thumbs:

cheers,geez a shout closer to the time mate and ill see whats what.once i get all the stuff sorted ill probaly get a jill/hob from the rescue then a kit later once i get used to looking after the one ferret.i know the season has ended but am hoping to get the ferret from the rescue out working a couple times just to gee it a bash before new season starts.

Edited by Joe67

One thing -i wouldnt touch a ferret from a market etc. If your gonna start, start with what will last. Get some decent, well bred, well reared kits from someone on here. :thumbs: Also, i'd advice bright colored plastic tent pegs and bright as fook nets. Saves a lot of hassle and extra cash replacing lost ones, and the bunnys dont give a toss! :thumbs:

aye slowly getting there,i got a pack of straw with the hutch so ill use that first,i take it yous just put down a few sheets of news paper then a good layer of straw ontop?

rake aboot where do you get the dry ferret food?i was gonna order some soonish

:laugh::laugh: Reading that just reminded me of the time I thought I would put newspaper down and then straw

I had such a nightmare the next day when they had shredded it and it was all over the floor in their court!

Never again. I now use a layer of wood shavings with straw on top of that. Hope that helps.