experience from dorset

i have a bedlington x whippet 9 months 19-20 high have taken her out 2 night on the lamp and got no rabbits but had a lot of close calls she knows that the lamp is there and a rabbit should be there but run down the beem . i have permission on a bit of land in yetminster and am looking for some one with experiences to come out on a night and give me some tips and show me the ropes. thanks

i have a bedlington x whippet 9 months 19-20 high have taken her out 2 night on the lamp and got no rabbits but had a lot of close calls she knows that the lamp is there and a rabbit should be there but run down the beem . i have permission on a bit of land in yetminster and am looking for some one with experiences to come out on a night and give me some tips and show me the ropes. thanks

Takes time mate and shes still young keep doing what your doing and it will come eventually.

Make sure you are in the right spot ie between rabbit and where it wants to get to, Pick your rabbit and give your dog the very best chance you can, Dont be tempted on daft slips you could spoil a young dog if you start slipping on long rabbits that your dog has no chance of catching .Its still very early days for her and always try finish on a good note good luck and let us know how you get on. Sorry not closer other wise would go for a walk.

Get yourself between the rabbit and the set and then with the beam on walk straight toward the rabbit, if it claps down don't stop just keep walking steadily towards it with the beam on the whole time. If you get right up to it just give it a nudge with your foot and KEEP THE DOG ON THE SLIP, do not slip it; let the dog see what it's missed. If the rabbit lifts before you get to it, again keep the dog on the slip and just track the rabbit back to the set with the beam. The reason for not slipping no matter how easy a kill it would be is to let the dog appreciate what is down the beam. Kicking the rabbit up then slipping it (or even getting the dog to take it in the seat) will only encourage the dog to let you do the donkey work. It'll not take long before the dog associates the beam with these escaping rabbits and it'll start belting down the beam. Getting between the rabbit and the set gives you the best chance of the rabbit running toward/past you and the dog seeing the rabbit at close quarters. I'll stress though that you will need to miss a couple of rabbits on purpose before the dog gets the idea... what's a couple of missed bunnies compared to years of your dog running straight down the beam as soon as it is slipped!

• Like 1

dont know whether its right or wrong but every dog ive trained like this picks up sitters and runs down the beam. i start with a dummy in the park and lamp on, dog on slip, fetch, dog picks up dummy, lamp off accept dummy loads of praise. once thats solid i progress to dead bunnies 1st one at a time as before then onto 3 or 4 preplaced. by this time my pups often a year old and has had daytime bunnies and held loads of ferreted and netted ones. hope this helps [bANNED TEXT] it works for me

she already runs straight down the beam and now knows there is a rabbit at the end . she goes down the beam even if she does not see the rabbit i wont her to run the edge of the beam i think that she needs to see how a experienced dog run them. thanks for the advice jacksbignose

Dont over do it

Little and often on close rabbits that are a good way out

Sounds to me like the dog is proggressing,just a matter of time

Dont get carried away you might end up frustrating the dog.After all he is only a youngster :thumbs:

Some dogs never learn to run outside the beam mate. It doesnt matter. So long they still catch the bunny who cares? Walk into the wind, light on, find bunny, light off, walk till you estimate you aint far off it, light on, spot bunny again. For the last bit keep light on and walk in. The dog should of seen it. As it lifts for the run, slip the dog and keep the light on the bunny.