Hi All

Got my 12 week old beddie x pup settled in well and Ive got her on dry puppy food but shes drinking like a pi## head Is this normall water is down 24/7.

Ive read up on the tinned stuff and it reads 80% moisture,{one extreme to the other}.

Im new to all this and very confused :hmm:

Dry is what it says on the bag - Dry. Makes them drink alot. My dog is fed raw and rarely drinks. The odd occasion I do give him dry he drinks all day.

Read up on BARF. It is a piece of piss. Plenty of fatty meat and bone, lamb breast, chicken wings, poultry necks, various mince, green tripe is great and full of goodness. Also once or twice a week get some veg in it, so if ou do a stew then chuck it a bowl full.

Also for a pup - Weetabix and Goats Milk, Full fat rice pudding.

I feed dry maybe once or twice a week now, just for convenience if I've got no raw at hand. Just fade the dry out slowly.

All the best,

Gaz

• Like 1

i got told years ago that weetibixs wer,nt anygood for a pups just what someone told me,could be wrong anyway i think barf is the way forward mixed with a decent dry mix

ive been told wheetabix are useless for dogs. i feed mine raw meat, bone, good dry food and raw eggs.

i fed my pup for breakfast,either scrambled eggs or sardines,or weetabix.main meal consisted of chudleys puppy mix and either minced chicken or beef.with teaspoon of cod liver oil and rice.up the amount as the pup gets older.also table scraps at times.now he is 8months old i replaced the chudleys with a couple handfulls of bakes complete instead of the puppy mix.yea rice pudding occasionally aswell.Good luck in rearing the pup.can be a handfull at times,but its a great feeling rearing a pup up watching it develop into a a dog that will hopefully do the business and run its heart out for you.give them the best and rear them proper.

Yes wheat isn't good for dogs.

Personally I much prefer to see a dog munching on a whole chicken and taking 20 mins to eat dinner. It's better than feeding dry and seeing them leave half or tinned and see it disappear in 30 seconds and give them hiccups. Raw food means less poop to clear up too.

There will probably be a few people that read this that are scared to feed raw meat and bones. However cooking meat removes half the nutrients dogs need from it. Also if bones are raw they are safe for dogs to eat unless they are the big heavy bones. Cooking bones changes the chemical composition of them and can cause impaction.

Edited by scalesntails

Bed whip: here's a real food menu: NOTE ALL MEAT AND BONES ARE RAW

Breakfast: scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast OR several spoonfuls of natural yoghurt plus a couple of chicken wings.

Lunch: minced beef or rabbit or lamb mixed with minced raw veg (no potato or onion)

Supper: couple of lamb ribs cut from breast of lamb OR more chicken wings OR minced tripe and minced beef (try not to use that godawful stuff from pet shops which smells disgusting but it is still better than dry or tinned food\!)

This is just a rough guide: feed the pup as much as it wants to eat at one sitting. If it hasn't finished after 5 minutes then pick up the remaining food. Some pups go through stages of wanting nothing but chicken, others are picky one day and wolf everything the next.

Once or twice a week a tin of sardines or mackerel is good. There are loads more things you can feed a dog but I've tried to keep it simple for a start. Once you start feeding raw real food you'll get good at sourcing cheap meat and you'll also feel a warm glow of satisfaction at knowing you are doing right by your dog who will also thank you for it in years to come, if she could!

• Like 1

Good advice, mine will get whole minced chickens plus fish, pasta, rice, veg, garlick and whole rabbits and birds (fur and feather on).....a decent mixture is the way forward.

As a rule of thumb they get all the leftovers of anything we eat too as long as it contains no cooked bones

i got told years ago that weetibixs wer,nt anygood for a pups just what someone told me,could be wrong anyway i think barf is the way forward mixed with a decent dry mix

Mixing barf and dry isn't the way forward ..Dry can repress the dogs digestive system BARF doesn't do this as its a natural diet ..the dogs digestive system won't know if its coming or going and can affect your dog in other ways ..

When I said about weetabix it was only for pups up to about 3/4 months. I know wheat doesn't agree with some dogs but it's a good way of getting calcium and fat in with goats milk and it's gotta be better than dry.

I also don't feed dry mixed with raw as i was told they digest at different rates. Just occasionally feed a meal of dry. But this is getting less and less.

Bed whip: here's a real food menu: NOTE ALL MEAT AND BONES ARE RAW

Breakfast: scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast OR several spoonfuls of natural yoghurt plus a couple of chicken wings.

Lunch: minced beef or rabbit or lamb mixed with minced raw veg (no potato or onion)

Supper: couple of lamb ribs cut from breast of lamb OR more chicken wings OR minced tripe and minced beef (try not to use that godawful stuff from pet shops which smells disgusting but it is still better than dry or tinned food\!)

This is just a rough guide: feed the pup as much as it wants to eat at one sitting. If it hasn't finished after 5 minutes then pick up the remaining food. Some pups go through stages of wanting nothing but chicken, others are picky one day and wolf everything the next.

Once or twice a week a tin of sardines or mackerel is good. There are loads more things you can feed a dog but I've tried to keep it simple for a start. Once you start feeding raw real food you'll get good at sourcing cheap meat and you'll also feel a warm glow of satisfaction at knowing you are doing right by your dog who will also thank you for it in years to come, if she could!

You"ll not go far wrong following this posters advice

Skycat I know a lot of owners have fed chicken wings to young Pups with no bother, but there has been cases of pups chocking or the bones jammed in the mouth, some say when feeding chicken wings to young pups they would not leave them alone,

Others will not feed them till the pup is at least six months old,

and some would never feed them,if the Pup still has its baby teeth.

Forgot to mention some owners recommend bashing them with a hammer before feeding.

Edited by Country Joe