Neutering Ferrets

Really don't want any kit's,so i was wondering whether i should have the hob vasectomised,so he can still mate the jill without any results,or whether i should have the jill neutered? Anybody been in a similar position,and what course of action did you take?

Cost me £50 for a vasectomy on a hob and the vet said it it would be another £50 if I wanted a test to make sure the operation had worked. Apparently it is vey easy to cut the wrong tube :blink: (they didn't mention anything about that when I had my vasectomy :icon_eek: - mind you the vet didn't do that one :D ) I decided to take the risk and the hob has been fine he sorted out 9 Jills last season and no kits :clapper:

Now had our boy for getting on 6 years from first litter we bred. Had him vasectomised and have never had any problems at all. :thumbs-up: Didnt cost as much as £50 but cant remember how much. All I will advise is that you see a vet who will class a ferret as working animal, not an exotic pet! Had a quote from one person and that was around the £100 mark. Interesting thing happens now is that all are friends want to rent out his services!!! for thier gills. He has a holiday and the women, we get the pint :clapper::drink: Plus I know it sounds daft, but make sure they realise that you dont mean castrated :no: Had to explain it several times to one receptionist/nurse. May pay to keep him seperate after op to allow to recover and keep clean.

Also, he will still be able to sire kits for up to 3 months after the operation: or that's what my vet told me! I believe human doctors advise contraception for the same amount of time after a man is vasectomised.

I'm planning the same mate and have been quoted £70.

As others have said,receptionist need it spelled out to them or else they will just cut off his nuts which i understand will take away his urge leaving the jills in season.

There are lots of previous threads on this as you can imagine.The national ferret welfare site gives ferret friendly vet addresses.

Cheers Mooster.

• 2 weeks later...