What Age Would You Breed A Bitch Up To?

depends on the bitch... if she is still in good health and good shape and could handle welping a litter ... why not ....

to me age isnt to much of a factor its what shape the dogs in ... a friend was going to breed his springer aged 11, but the only reason he didnt was because he couldnt kc the pups (because dam was to old) and he wanted one to field trial

I personally think it's too old. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that i wouldn't, i feel a dog at 12 has done well for you and doesn't deserve the stress and work of a litter. It can also take a lot out of a young, healthy, fit bitch, an older one could just be too much. Also if she hasn't had a litter before, its an unthinkable move imo. :thumbs:

Bred my bitch for the first time and only time - she was 6, wouldn't want it to be any older. She only managed to give birth to three naturally. The other 6 were by C section (3 died during it) I don't know if I was ust unlucky but I guess the older they get the more difficult it is for them?

I breed other breeds and wouldn't consider having a 1st litter out of a bitch over 5 years old. The oldest i would breed from would be 8 years and only if she had already had a litter when younger.

The pelvic bones in a maiden bitch that is older just will not flex enough to allow the natural birth of pups which is probably why vhd's bitch needed a c-section.

Males however can be bred at any age as long as they stay fertile and the dog is capable.

I breed other breeds and wouldn't consider having a 1st litter out of a bitch over 5 years old. The oldest i would breed from would be 8 years and only if she had already had a litter when younger.

The pelvic bones in a maiden bitch that is older just will not flex enough to allow the natural birth of pups which is probably why vhd's bitch needed a c-section.

Males however can be bred at any age as long as they stay fertile and the dog is capable.

Thanks Shazza wished I'd had known that - she was such a good bitch I just wanted to keep working her and before you know it I'm thinking shit if I want a pup out of her I need to get a move on. Then there was the hassle of trying to find a dog to put over her. After the third pup she was contracting but wasn't bothering to push or anything, straight to the vets! She was a brilliant mother though to be fair and looked aftr pups v well.

Wouldn't dream of lining a bitch at 12 but it's common within non-ped whippets for the bitches to only be lined following a succesful racing career i.e. 5 years old and beyond.

Personally I feel it's more a matter of birthing being slow in it's stages in a geriatric bitch due to hormonal changes. The only time with our bitches we've had a ceaserian was with an un-planned mating. However it should be noted the non-ped whippets have a naturally large amount of muscle mass and observing our older dogs, I would say muscle wastage only starts to occur when the dogs enter into double figures. It's pretty much the norm for a non-ped to live to about 15yrs old.

Pedigree whippets are a different entity, most breeders comment their dogs have a decreased longevity and somewhat premature ageing, something I believe has occured due to closed breeding and I suspect that pedigree dogs statistically have a higher likelihood of complications for this reason.

Ted Walsh in his Book The English Whippet gives the following advice,

Breeders vary as to when and how often they mate their Bitches. My own practice has been to have a first Litter between eighteen and twenty four Months, which serves to mature and fulfil the Bitch, it also ensures that you will be less likely to have trouble later on. It can be difficult to get a Bitch in Whelp for a first Litter after three or four years old. The Showing and Coursing can then be enjoyed while the Bitch is in her prime(from two to five years old)and have a second and possibly third Litter at five and six years old.

So, the general rule is, never breed on the first season, never breed on successive seasons,

(Time must be allowed for a Bitch to build up her reserves between Litters) and do not leave it later than four years old for a first Litter.

Two or three Litters are ideal for a Bitch, and risk is greatly increased after seven years of age, but at all times the chief guide must be the general health of the Bitch concerned and her propensities as a Dam.