Top 3 patterdale studs in America and europe

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish I knew the answer to which 3 are the best studs. I've got a good bitch that I would love for the best to be put over. lol Which dog is best is a matter of opinion.I haven't seen enough to say b

different strokes for different folks,if finding a coon in a barn full of hay is so easy a hole would be a piece of cake.lol i would hope to say they could stick there head in a hole and find one. whe

wasteing your time mate its all about money over there atb biza

Posted Images

I wish I knew the answer to which 3 are the best studs. I've got a good bitch that I would love for the best to be put over. lol Which dog is best is a matter of opinion.I haven't seen enough to say but I have heard great things about the Angus dog producing. I think most of the best dogs are unheard of to tell the truth. I've heard alot about Sparticus and also Miner. Nuttal dogs seem to be the favorite in America. Though I think there are not enough options to claim any other bloodline as greater. I'm with stuntman that if a dog does not work to ground he should not be considered in the list of working terriers.And I really don't respect the whole barn busting thing - though honestly i'd have a blast, I don't think it shows a dogs hunting ability. I've done that sort of hunting and it shows no more than show that a dog can kick some ass in a fight. If there's one thing I've learned it is that a hard dog doesn't make a better hunter.We just culled a dog that was totally mute. He wouldn't locate his own game. In the end he was utterly useless to us. He'd sit at your heel til something was found and he'd go in hammering. He looked like a veteran after a month but not a single time did he find his own game. Useless useless. But I bet he could have located a few coon out of 30 in a packed barn and he'd look good doing it. It is so cliche but find fit and stay are the only truths in this game. With my dogs I expect more than that.Find, fit, stay, mix,bark on track and (wishfully on my part)tree.I have met very few who hunt more than a weekend a month. That is no judgement of a dogs ability. You cannot tell if a dog's offspring are good or not with hunting once a month. Nor can you determine hunting a dog two weeks straight and getting them torn to ratshit on a bunch of coons in slash piles or barns. A dog worked steady weekin weekout and several times a week if able is the one that is worthy of admiration. Name the studs doing that and I'd like to meet with their owners.

• Like 1

different strokes for different folks,if finding a coon in a barn full of hay is so easy a hole would be a piece of cake.lol i would hope to say they could stick there head in a hole and find one. where is the scent cone? in a 5in diameter hole? hell i can smell a hole alot of times and tell if there is game there.in a barn there are mutiple tubes,up ,down,ect...no comparision.i'm sure you do want a baying dog that is totaly understandable, if your in the ground hunting nutria i know you don't want to dig another hole after locating. i don't want a mute dog either, i like one to give voice also but i don't need a blabber mouth tattletale either, if he/she is baying they better not be able to reach it.as for a "hard" dog theres a big difference between a stupid hard and smart hard. i don't need a dog that will grab a front foot and thinks he/she is goin to town while a coon chews it's face off, yes i have seen this kind of dog(no good).if you hunt coons weekend and week out your a lucky man, my do need a break from time to time. but if your in the ground most of the time i think a dog takes less damage there. another is size of game we have 30+ lbs coons here.are yours as big? never seen a 30 lb coon in the ground.

• Like 1

I have seen Mosbys dogs hunt and they do everything he said!!!! His Magwa dog is one of the best terriers I have seen ever!!!!! In ground, above ground, running with hounds etc... Our coons are differednt the dont pack on all the fat for the winter so they stay lean all year I think when we went out last time the big one was 26lbs.. But lean and stong living away from people not garbage eaters.. Not saying ur coon are not bad ass Bob as we have talked lots before but unless you come out here to see what we hunt in you would not understand.. I sent a terrier into a blackberry bush one time and then heard ecoing barking and when I cut my way into the bush there was a small 2 room house in it and the dog was killing the nutria under it in the crall space.. Berry vines that are 20ft tall and you cant see the other side.. So just finding the sett is up to the dogs, we dont see any holes till we hack in to the dogs.. I have gotten a couple "good" barn hunters and they just could not adjust to this type of hunting.. But rased from pups the same lines did good.. We had a dog named Jackson he was crazy on coon above ground and when we took him back east to hunt everyone wanted dogs off of him, he quit all the time in the ground and was the crappiest nutria dog I ever seen, BUT he would kill a coon in a couple on min.. Great barn/ brush hunter but a cull IMO.. Im not trying to raz you bob just give you some info on the hunting in this area.. By the way barn hunt is the funnest I ever had with terriers I love the high energy and full game bags... Bob you and Sherri ane more than welcome to come out here hunting anytime, we have tons of game and are hunting every weekend.. I even know where we could get into some otter or beaver if you wanted some 30lbs+ game so ur terriers would feel more at home :)

Just got back from runin' Mac(patt), Scruff(jagd), and Red Dog(airdale lurcher), got two coon on the river just behind the house.. Got one under a stump and the other they treed and I pulled out to them..

Edited by bluecollar

hell,i no your not razzin me nor am i razzin mosby, like i said different strokes for different folks.had mine on beavers before but the dogs can't hold them, they take off for deep water and the dogs don't hold the breath well.lol who was back east wanting pups off of jackson?man if he could kill coons in a coupla of min he must of been a hell of a dog... he could kill coons and not nutria? thats really strange, i have never had my dogs on nutria but from what i have heard from the southern boys they have a nasty bite but no fight and give up the ghost fast. kinda like a rabbit with teeth. otters on the other hand (just hear say) they kill terriers, whip a whole pack of hounds, even make a bulldog back up and think.if things are that tight that you can't even see a house how does the lurcher work for ya? do you just keep him/her back and let them kill if the little guys cant handle it? here it is open enough for a lurch to see a bolt but i don't use one.thats kind of the reason why i want a larger terrier to handle and hold.

hell,i no your not razzin me nor am i razzin mosby, like i said different strokes for different folks.had mine on beavers before but the dogs can't hold them, they take off for deep water and the dogs don't hold the breath well.lol who was back east wanting pups off of jackson?man if he could kill coons in a coupla of min he must of been a hell of a dog... he could kill coons and not nutria? thats really strange, i have never had my dogs on nutria but from what i have heard from the southern boys they have a nasty bite but no fight and give up the ghost fast. kinda like a rabbit with teeth. otters on the other hand (just hear say) they kill terriers, whip a whole pack of hounds, even make a bulldog back up and think.if things are that tight that you can't even see a house how does the lurcher work for ya? do you just keep him/her back and let them kill if the little guys cant handle it? here it is open enough for a lurch to see a bolt but i don't use one.thats kind of the reason why i want a larger terrier to handle and hold.

You got to find the beaver away from water, hard to do but we got a 60lbs one off the snake river in Idaho with terriers and Reds son Griffin.. Otter will show you whats up hahaha isnt that right mosby hahaha... The lurcher will go into the brush after the terriers when the coon or nutria start screaming or you hear them in the ground.. Red had done it hundreds of times so he knows what is happening just by listening and will cut off the bolting game.. And yes he is to kill cuz I like my terriers 14lbs or less.. They will kill a coon but we wont be hunting much that week if the coon is a bad ass.. BUT mac killed a 18lbs coon solo the other day w/o getting hert he is about 12lbs or so.. It was out of a trap trying to get my buddies dogs started but they would not join in and mac did it alone..

IMO I don’t rate any dog that isn’t used constently in the ground. More and more every year Black, red and white terriers in the US never see the inside of a dirt or rock set. I don’t care if the dog is 8lbs. Den Terrier or an 18lb. Patterdale if not hunted in the ground and dug to well imo it’s something else not terrier true terrier work. Call me a traditionalist but a Lab at the airport sniffing out weed or oxy is doing job but it’s not the same as jumping into fridget Lake and retrieving a duck 70 yards away. So when I look at a future prospect, I make sure I’m getting one from a family, line that has been to ground. Some here in the state that owns these dogs don’t even own a locator or even know how to use one.

I have nothing against, barn, house, building hunting its fun useful tool to eradicate pest and get fur but I’ll never have a top “3†list with one that is solely hunted above ground in that fashion.

Now with what I’ve just said who has a Black dog in the States that goes to ground more than 3 times a year and puts pups on the ground that does the same? I’d like to stow that away for future use. Take care, Stunt

:thumbs:

Guest dee mac

its money and my dcik is bigger than your dcik over that side from what i can gather there are some genuine lads but i think there few and far between .only test for a terrier is under ground full stop hunting coons in a barn is no test of a terrier no matter what way you look at it.plus running about setting up patterdale breeding databases and trying too convince them selves that there dogs are double bred this and double bred that.i ve actually spoken too lads that have owned and bred the dogs that these guys rave about and they have hardly more than mentioned there names not because they did nt rate them but they were more interested in there young up coming dogs and dogs that were being worked in the present dogs of yester year have left there influence but its the working dogs of now that matter most for the future.

different strokes for different folks,if finding a coon in a barn full of hay is so easy a hole would be a piece of cake.lol i would hope to say they could stick there head in a hole and find one. where is the scent cone? in a 5in diameter hole? hell i can smell a hole alot of times and tell if there is game there.in a barn there are mutiple tubes,up ,down,ect...no comparision.i'm sure you do want a baying dog that is totaly understandable, if your in the ground hunting nutria i know you don't want to dig another hole after locating. i don't want a mute dog either, i like one to give voice also but i don't need a blabber mouth tattletale either, if he/she is baying they better not be able to reach it.as for a "hard" dog theres a big difference between a stupid hard and smart hard. i don't need a dog that will grab a front foot and thinks he/she is goin to town while a coon chews it's face off, yes i have seen this kind of dog(no good).if you hunt coons weekend and week out your a lucky man, my do need a break from time to time. but if your in the ground most of the time i think a dog takes less damage there. another is size of game we have 30+ lbs coons here.are yours as big? never seen a 30 lb coon in the ground.

Come on BOB!

Do you walk your dog right up to the correct hole in the hay mow and let them go down it? Do you think finding game located in holes in the woods starts at the hole edge? Barns are the easiest place for terriers to find game. I hunt barns just as much as I dig. There is absolutely no comparison to following your dogs for miles through fields and woods to find game versus opening a barn door and letting them search for a bit.

Finding game in the woods or fields can be compared to the old saying of "searching for a needle in a haystack." Barns on the contrary are great spots to put up big numbers because they are game rich. Like shooting fish in a barrel....with a little straw ontop LOL.

Take care,

Cole