Apology to Si

An apology to Si (Zini),

I am sorry I took exception to people (including yourself) berating my springer of choice the Hatsan. I own one, I like it, I find it a good gun to use, shoot and target. I had a bad experience with an HW underlever in a shop which may have prejudiced my views unfairly.

Your knowledge of setting up, shooting and hunting is superb. I am only relearning old skills. I find the Hatsan most familiar to what I knew, so I think this may colour my choice, but I know my limits and the guns limits so I am not going to be tempted into 50 and 60 yard kills as that is unfair to my quarry. You have advised that the pellets I have been advised to use are good to 30 yards, which I suspect is the effective limit of my gun!

I was trying a clever play with the letters AGW and it was very unfair the words that I implied. Si is not and never has been an AGW! If his son is as skilled in his shooting as Si is he would be able to dimantle the moles glasses without disturbing his hair!

I can understand that you are concerned about suffering and as someone raised in the countryside I am as well, so I will not be tempted into long range attempts. Who knows in a few more years I might be singing the praises of an HW 100 (still damned tasty looking those). There is no point in going for shots that may only wound, and I have my gun zeroed to the ammo at 30 yards, which I judge to be it's most effective range.

If they are further than that do you have any tips on crawling up to the bleeping things? I am taking this step to try and stop any animosity that may have been generated by my addiction to this cheap little rifle, which I still think is a very good value for money gun (not even a beating round the head with a Theoben will convince me otherwise).

Is my apology accepted?

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 1

Yes mate you apology is accepted, thanks.

Now let’s forget the past and concentrate on the future.

I also am sorry for saying personal things about you and calling you bad things.

I’m not usually like that but I didn’t like the comment in regards to my son.

You may have not meant it in the way it came over to me, I don’t know, but I took offence to it.

I wouldn’t even think about joking about a persons family on here no mind in a heated discussion.

Anyway

As I have already stated, thanks mate.

Now lets let it drop.

Si

• Like 1

That's right, I was a plonker enough said! Will let you all know about my recce on my permission tomorrow and show shots of moles above ground burrow (pop up camo tents £24.99 in Argos by the way, erects in seconds, takes about half an hour and £30 in the swear box to get the thing back in the bag, god knows what it will be like at night).

Hopefully I will be able to pitch so I have lots of runs in my effective radius, then set up at about 2:30pm and lay there until the sun goes down), then try and pick my way back through the paddock avoiding horse mines in the dark using me torch! Also trying to avoid the electric fences! Should liven the evening up!

Hey mole, I dont think anyone was trying to single you or your hatsan out, I understand where you were coming from with regards to cheap air rifles doing a job.

They do do a job but there are limitations, I think maybe you just pushed your opinions a little hard, there are a lot of guys here who realy know there stuff, I know si knows what cheap rifles are capable of himself and at no point did he discredit hatsans so your post on rog3rs thread was bang out of order and needless.

I did not agree with the topic of that thread saying cheap air rifles are not for hunting but respected that guys opinions anyway.

Because you felt you rifle was under scrutiny you then went on to say a magnificent gun was rubbish lol

Si is a nice guy and will help anyone at the drop of a hat, you both have strong opinions and personalities.

No hard feelings from me.

.atb. .ste.

I know Si is a great help, he has told me that the pellets I have been recommended are good to about 30 yards at a push, I get good groups with them at the zeroing process on the range at that point and that is what I think my Hatsan will be most comfortable at! So will let you all know how I get on. That HW underlever I tried was a mare though! The trigger was way sensitive! So I went with something else. My old Hat may be old Hat but it is a reliable old beast that is consistent at that power at that range so that is what I will stay with for now.

I am taking by the HW 100 though, that is a very very tasty piece of kit. Si has accepted my apology gracefully, would have been great to have him on the range today in zero degrees zeroing in our Hawkes though! Still put some lead through the new Hatsan the wife bought herself. Both now zeroed to 30 yards on RWS super H points.

After about 10 more shots to confirm the zero her Reynauds started playing up (affects circulation in the hand) so we got a coffee and went home! I hope my aiming at 30 yards is able to drop them like Si can, those bird shots he put up on a post show how well he understands guns and pellet dynamics as well, I can remember when the first prometheus things came out, the mini slugs in the sleeves that opened up like something out of James Bond! Then I was on Eley Wasps!