what do you think?

an appeal was put up on another site, at first i was skeptical but after talking to the lady in question im seriously considering buying one of the young mares destined for slaughter, there are 10 horses altogether rangeing from 1-12yrs some broken and riding rangeing from 100euro-500euro depending on whether they have passports, are broken and riding, size + weight. the lady in question is the neighbour to the owner of the horses. if anyone is interested in these horses pm me.

the mare im thinking of buying is the one with the star in this pic, she is 4yr old 15.2 and part broken

or am i just going soft???

post-45924-0-94941200-1295876382_thumb.jpg

if people are interested the rest of the horses are in this link; http://helena.imgur.com/horses

I rescued a pony from France.

You can read his blog here if you are interested and you can contact me through the website - http://www.thordale.co.uk - if you want any advice.

http://thordale.blogspot.com/

Like someone said before, if you have the space and the knowledge and the finances, then it is a good thing you are doing.

It is also a huge learning curve and one I would do again, if I were healthy. I love our dear boy.

Edited by Pignut

your doing a good thing :toast: but only buy one if you wont one cause you can't save them all.

i have been thinking about getting a horse for a while but was looking for one that was already fully broken and a bit older, this mare looks too nice for the factory though, im not the rescueing type usually! lol

ive got just about enough grazing for 1 horse so i'll go and take a good long look at this one!

theres 3 nice riding mares there as well that i was also considering 10yr old, 12yr old and a 5yr old roughly 300-500 each

your doing a good thing :toast: but only buy one if you wont one cause you can't save them all.

i have been thinking about getting a horse for a while but was looking for one that was already fully broken and a bit older, this mare looks too nice for the factory though, im not the rescueing type usually! lol

ive got just about enough grazing for 1 horse so i'll go and take a good long look at this one!

theres 3 nice riding mares there as well that i was also considering 10yr old, 12yr old and a 5yr old roughly 300-500 each

You say you only have enough grazing for 1 horse. That does concern me. Usually horses do not like being kept on their own, especially if they are not used to it. I am sure you know they are herd animals and rely on the herd environment for their security and peace of mind. Personally, I would not keep a horse on its own because you instantly put it into a situation of low-grade stress. Yes, many horses do cope but that does not make it right and many horses do not causing their owners many problems.

These horses do not usually come ready made - there is probably a very good reason they are in the factory queue. I have yet to hear of anyone who has rescued a slaughter pony and just got on and ridden off with no problems. Many of them have to be retrained right from the start. When they are advertised, they are not ridden or vetted particularly thoroughly either. Just be very careful.

• Like 1