Things just getting better

We had a young lad off the site came down for a bash with us today, adammubu just 16 years old but keen as mustard. With him living in Sheffield it was an early start but I promised him some action and thats what he got. Adam joined our crew for the day, Stevo and Byron and myself and we went just a couple of fields from where I live, plenty of bunnies for the apprentice. He had never been out ferreting like this before and never killed a rabbit but everyone has to learn and he did really well, he grafted hard with us. We started off in a little spinney that held a few sets that were reasonably easy, a good introduction for him. By the time we got to breakfast time 10.15 we had already got 19 in the bag. We gave him some lessons in netting, where to introduce the ferrets and also killing and gutting the rabbits.

adam2.jpg

gutting2.jpg

After we had our butties and a brew we took a look at another hedgerow but decided to leave this one as it was at the side of a maize strip and rats were well present. I phoned the keeper and he suggested we carried on from where we left off the other day when we had 53, so thats what we did. The hedgerow was pretty hard going and it put Adam through his paces but he did really well and proved that not all young uns are lazy.

The further up we got the better it got and as we didnt want to finish too late we decided that half way up would be good for today leaving the rest for another day. The last set saw us net six and bring our final tally to 56, that takes us to over 500 bunnies in not that many outings this season. I'm sure that the keeper is happy with our results but there is loads more to do yet, you never know we might even do 1000 before the end of the season.

56onhowards23rdjan2011.jpg

I would like to say that Adam was a very hard worker and has very good manners, I'm sure that he will have no problems getting on in this game and if anyone in Sheffield has a spare seat when going out drop him a PM I'm sure he would be glad of the chance.

:thumbs: Steve

• Like 3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had a young lad off the site came down for a bash with us today, adammubu just 16 years old but keen as mustard. With him living in Sheffield it was an early start but I promised him some action an

Posted Images

thankyou steve for sorting it all out for me :notworthy:. truly was a brilliant day, and i am very thankful to steve, stevo and byron for teaching me the ropes.

brilliant guys, thanks alot!

ps, thanks for making me look a mug in the top photo lol!

Hi mate you just look like a guy thats been out ferreting and enjoying it, well done today mate, we will sort another day soon,

:thumbs:Steve

Well done guys thats good going :yes:

Just hope you can bag a nice few for me on tuesday had a drive past about 7pm and there was a hell of alot out and about eating the rape ,well whats left :( seemed to be a fair few on the top hedge aswell ! Got a nice dog fox tho 2 fields over which is probs the 1 you had seen :good: