PINE MARTEN!!!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek: FFS!!! And Billy tells me he's Cage Trapped Twenty Odd of these Stunning creatures!!! Can you imagine a bigger privalige?! Being able to 'handle' one of the rarest and most elusive creatures in Britain and Ireland???

Well, I'm in Co. Leitrim ~ I honestly don't know where Billy is, in Eire ~ but we Both get these gorgeous things all around us!

Rural Eire is actually quite well endowed now with what I take to be Sitka Spruce. There's smallish patches of the stuff all over the place. I get the impression it was largely planted within the last twenty years? It's my own, uneducated, guestimation that this patchwork of smallish plantations has inadvertantly proven just the ticket for this species.

How many we had 'before'? God alone knows! But we sure as hell have them now! FULLY PROTECTED. Ye don't Touch these little buggers! Let 'em go, Every time! (" Little " ? What am I talking about? These things are actually pretty damn big!) Thus I see sign of them here abouts, but I do my uttmost to ensure they don't get caught up in my own Mink traps.

Well ..... Ok. I wouldn't have minded finding one in one of my cages ~ no matter how unlikely, the trouble I go to to keep them out! I'd have Loved to have shown ye all one! :D But our Billy's certainly shown me a clean pair of heels in that department! :laugh:

Now let me show ye His stunning photographs of an animal most of us will simply never live to see!

Pine Marten!

Isn't that simply f*cking Gorgeous???

:clapper:Fantastic work by our very own " Billy Bunter "! Thanks, mate! I've never seen this enigmatic creature portrayed so clearly! :good:

Incidently, Bill; I recognise that trap, mate! Always swore they were a goodie! Got a couple myself here and am hoping for great things from them along the way! :good:

firstly

i must stress they are all returned safe and sound a few miles away and are not culled

cought plenty of martins with my mate next door who owns the land around me

this is the second in as many weeks they had been busting open his bee hives

for the honey out of about a dozon hives i think he has one active one left

so the martin is a bloody nuisance to him and easy to catch if there about just bait a

cage trap with honey/jam or peanut butter and youll have him in the morning

this beutifull animal is a common sight here they were supposed to be introduced

by coillte [foristry commision] for controlling squirrells rabbitts etc from eating the saplings

and newly planted trees i dont know how true that is but that is what i was told

thanks to ditch for posting the pic i will get the hang of it one day

i hope you enjoy the pics of this truely wonderfull animal

cheers bb

Great to see mate! they like badgers have a sweet tooth then good to know not been any round us for at least eighty years or more the old boys in the pub used to talk about em when i was a kid one animal that ought to be reintroduced especially if they like them grey varmints

Great to see mate! they like badgers have a sweet tooth then good to know not been any round us for at least eighty years or more the old boys in the pub used to talk about em when i was a kid one animal that ought to be reintroduced especially if they like them grey varmints

yes juckler had trouble with badgers breaking into the hives as well so put them up on oil drums

that stopped them but not the pine martin so had to trap them and release them a few miles away

Billybunter hi mate Do they ever find there way back or do they stay where they are released also i read somewhere that a lot of beekeepers were having trouble keeping their bees and had to keep buying new stock in is this true or just bull as i think it was Einstein who said that bees are the one to watch for the worsening state of the planet and their demise was a good indication of things to come cheers Juckler

Edited by juckler123
Billybunter hi mate Do they ever find there way back or do they stay where they are released also i read somewhere that a lot of beekeepers were having trouble keeping their bees and had to keep buying new stock in is this true or just bull as i think it was Einstein who said that bees are the one to watch for the worsening state of the planet and their demise was a good indication of things to come cheers Juckler

im pretty sure they dont find there way back becauce they are released 7/8 miles away

there is thousands of acres of plantation around us which holds good numbers of martins

the only problem my mate has with keeping bees is the martins

cheers bb

hope yea where wearing gloves they can be nasty little shits but great to watch seen one in north of scotland when me was fishing

this one was very placid it didnt hiss spit or wale you can see in the pic used a coat hanger

to lift the trap as the handle is bust wouldnt put my fingers anywhere near them sharp teeth

this martin is quite small and proberbly a female they go a lot bigger than that

hope yea where wearing gloves they can be nasty little shits but great to watch seen one in north of scotland when me was fishing

this one was very placid it didnt hiss spit or wale you can see in the pic used a coat hanger

to lift the trap as the handle is bust wouldnt put my fingers anywhere near them sharp teeth

this martin is quite small and proberbly a female they go a lot bigger than that

It was probably placid because you had caught it before and it just fancied another runn in the car :whistle:

:laugh::laugh:

It was probably placid because you had caught it before and it just fancied another runn in the car :whistle:

:laugh::laugh:

i never thought of that ricky :clapper::clapper:

firstly

i must stress they are all returned safe and sound a few miles away and are not culled

cought plenty of martins with my mate next door who owns the land around me

this is the second in as many weeks they had been busting open his bee hives

for the honey out of about a dozon hives i think he has one active one left

so the martin is a bloody nuisance to him and easy to catch if there about just bait a

cage trap with honey/jam or peanut butter and youll have him in the morning

this beutifull animal is a common sight here they were supposed to be introduced

by coillte [foristry commision] for controlling squirrells rabbitts etc from eating the saplings

and newly planted trees i dont know how true that is but that is what i was told

thanks to ditch for posting the pic i will get the hang of it one day

i hope you enjoy the pics of this truely wonderfull animal

cheers bb

Lovely job billy, only one i ever saw was in a tree when we were lamping in Cavan, we hardly got alook at it when it dropped from the tree and disappeared, well done , ps thanks ditch for posting, :signthankspin::signthankspin::signthankspin: