Marking dogs

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You dont teach a dog a marking style, it just does what it does. I don't think what you 'want' comes into it. And we take out a dog that marks by sticking her head down the hole, breathing like an asthmatic and wagging her tail - and the rabbits bolt just fine. People worry too much. :thumbs:

Contradict yourself there a bit mate,you make your point about terriers,so wouldn,t he be better off getting another type to "get what he wants" eg collie type :hmm:

He might not get what he wants but would greatly increase his chances,horses for courses

No messing jmo :thumbs:

Sorry mate i think you misunderstand. We were talking lurchers. I mentioned that terriers are pretty likely to dig which isn't great but with lurchers you never can tell, it's down to the dog. The dog in question is a collie x like megpshyco says :thumbs:

Sorry I don,t think I misunderstood,surely if you want a lurcher which marks this way,you would buy,breed the type with the desired trait,it may not work but your chances would be increased,also I wasn,t talking about "the dog in question" I was speaking generaly

However my sal/grey marks the same way as my collie type so maybe I am talking pish :blink:

A dog that marked "correctly" wouldn't be high on my list when buying or breeding to be honest.....as long as it marked true wouldn't really care how.People are a little too occupied with perfection.....my bitch takes 4 big lung fulls of the hole wags her tail,makes a lot less noise than me and my mate do netting up.

I've owned a few dogs and all have marked differently........my bitches dam and sire would escavate a occupied burrow,so the breed a proper marker theory didn't work there :thumbs:

Aye I,ve noticed if you comment on the big ideas posts and don,t agree entirely he diznae like it and nor do his mates,I think what I,m saying is even If your opinion has got a grain off truth in it he still says yer talking pish,

Another point ,if I had a dog sticking its head down a hole while breathing like an asthmatic it would do my fxcking head in :cry:

Where have I disagreed with you or said your talking pish?And I think saying my dog breaths like an asthmatic when marking is a little exaggeration on Jai's part :yes: I'm not too bothered how a dog marks as long has it does.......we'd all like a dog that does the pointer thing but I think that is a trait that particular dogs have don't think you could succsessfully breed that trait into a dog.Had a bitza once that would mark like yours rox but when you came to old deep ancient warrens he had to stick his head down to find out if it was occupied. :thumbs:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You

A dog that marked "correctly" wouldn't be high on my list when buying or breeding to be honest.....as long as it marked true wouldn't really care how.People are a little too occupied with perfection..

Posted Images

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You dont teach a dog a marking style, it just does what it does. I don't think what you 'want' comes into it. And we take out a dog that marks by sticking her head down the hole, breathing like an asthmatic and wagging her tail - and the rabbits bolt just fine. People worry too much. :thumbs:

Contradict yourself there a bit mate,you make your point about terriers,so wouldn,t he be better off getting another type to "get what he wants" eg collie type :hmm:

He might not get what he wants but would greatly increase his chances,horses for courses

Sorry mate i think you misunderstand. We were talking lurchers. I mentioned that terriers are pretty likely to dig which isn't great but with lurchers you never can tell, it's down to the dog. The dog in question is a collie x like megpshyco says :thumbs:

Sorry I don,t think I misunderstood,surely if you want a lurcher which marks this way,you would buy,breed the type with the desired trait,it may not work but your chances would be increased,also I wasn,t talking about "the dog in question" I was speaking generaly

However my sal/grey marks the same way as my collie type so maybe I am talking pish :blink:

A dog that marked "correctly" wouldn't be high on my list when buying or breeding to be honest.....as long as it marked true wouldn't really care how.People are a little too occupied with perfection.....my bitch takes 4 big lung fulls of the hole wags her tail,makes a lot less noise than me and my mate do netting up.

I've owned a few dogs and all have marked differently........my bitches dam and sire would escavate a occupied burrow,so the breed a proper marker theory didn't work there :thumbs:

Aye I,ve noticed if you comment on the big ideas posts and don,t agree entirely he diznae like it and nor do his mates,I think what I,m saying is even If your opinion has got a grain off truth in it he still says yer talking pish,

Another point ,if I had a dog sticking its head down a hole while breathing like an asthmatic it would do my fxcking head in :cry:

Calm down buddy - all i said was that when it comes to lurchers how they will mark is fairly random. I do not think it is breed specific as i have witnessed dogs of the same breed marking in different ways and dogs of differing breed marking in the same way. I do however believe that dogs will learn to copy the marking style of the older more experienced dogs that they go out with as pups, but some then develop their own style later in life. These are obviously just my opinions and may differ to yours, its a forum, chill :tongue2::thumbs:

Aye mate,I originaly made a comment and then it turned into something else :blink:

as I said above maybe I am talking pish but none the less as you said its an open forum and and we,re all enitled to an opinion :thumbs:

f**k knows mate i been beating all day so i'm knackered :thumbs: Not even sure what you'd be talking piss about :laugh:

id be happy for my dog too mark at all hes a russell and hunts and flushes in cover but when it comes too holes he sniffs and fecks off even when there occupied :icon_eek: any ideas on how too get him marking. lurchers the same though shes always been a lamping dog so not too bothered about her but the russell wats his story lol. :thumbs:

Take him out a bit feckin more :tongue2:

on a serious note is there any tried and tested ways of getting a dog too mark or do some just not grasp it atb meg :thumbs:

Where have I disagreed with you or said your talking pish?And I think saying my dog breaths like an asthmatic when marking is a little exaggeration on Jai's part :yes: I'm not too bothered how a dog marks as long has it does.......we'd all like a dog that does the pointer thing but I think that is a trait that particular dogs have don't think you could succsessfully breed that trait into a dog.Had a bitza once that would mark like yours rox but when you came to old deep ancient warrens he had to stick his head down to find out if it was occupied. :thumbs:

Aye asthma thing was what is known as a 'joke', intended to convey the idea that she sniffs down the hole. :tongue2: Its all down to the individual dog not breed :thumbs:

Is it just me im looking at the pictures and see dogs in the holes all i want is my lurcher to sniff the hole raise a front paw hole marked job done. Nets down ferret in i dont want her alerting the rabbits ???.

glad you brought that up one lol i wasnt gonna mention it in case of another big argument. Me personally i like to be quiet as possible and as little disturbance aswell.

id be happy for my dog too mark at all hes a russell and hunts and flushes in cover but when it comes too holes he sniffs and fecks off even when there occupied :icon_eek: any ideas on how too get him marking. lurchers the same though shes always been a lamping dog so not too bothered about her but the russell wats his story lol. :thumbs:

on a serious note is there any tried and tested ways of getting a dog too mark or do some just not grasp it atb meg :thumbs:

I'll get him marking for you mate........you just need to take him out the kennel now and again :tongue2:

Most dogs will learn to mark if you show them enough occupied/unoccupied buries, no matter what breed they are. :yes::thumbs:

'roxy' timestamp='1294855712' post='1872241']

another a bit better :thumbs:

post-51785-0-13519200-1294855692_thumb.jpg

Thats all mine does moves out the way to let you set a net then moves over the burrow with the action ,If theres somthing in a bury you wont call her off a sure sign theres rabbits home . Then if a rabbit bolts she will do the same at another hole and she knows theres more than one rabbit in there .how do they do it ?. :blink:

She,ll mark like this mate but when you start to lay nets she tends to fxck aboot,disturbs the nets etc,when the ferrets get entered though she stays alert and moves about according to underground noise etc,I try not to direct her too much :thumbs:

Stick your finger up its bum :thumbs:

I try not to direct her too much :thumbs:

I agree with that 100% :yes: I've been out with lads who constantly call a dog back to a hole once they've moved on from it. :doh: Drives me dull because all they're doing is teaching the dog bad habits.. :yes: One thing you don't want is a dog that will false mark at any old hole. They've got a far better idea of what's going on down there than we have, no matter how likely looking the hole.. :yes::thumbs:

sit it on yer fanny :D

lol watch i dont stick my finger up your bum goldilocks and stay off my mountain

I try not to direct her too much :thumbs:

I agree with that 100% :yes: I've been out with lads who constantly call a dog back to a hole once they've moved on from it. :doh: Drives me dull because all they're doing is teaching the dog bad habits.. :yes: One thing you don't want is a dog that will false mark at any old hole. They've got a far better idea of what's going on down there than we have, no matter how likely looking the hole.. :yes::thumbs:

Don't praise for marking as well cos it can encourage false marks etc. Exposure is the only teacher and maybe another dog.

sit it on yer fanny :D

itl have too be my cock wont be the first time :blink: