Marking dogs

id be happy for my dog too mark at all hes a russell and hunts and flushes in cover but when it comes too holes he sniffs and fecks off even when there occupied :icon_eek: any ideas on how too get him marking. lurchers the same though shes always been a lamping dog so not too bothered about her but the russell wats his story lol. :thumbs:

Take him out a bit feckin more :tongue2:

on a serious note is there any tried and tested ways of getting a dog too mark or do some just not grasp it atb meg :thumbs:

Stick your finger up its bum :thumbs:

Stick your finger up Bob's bum and he'll take your feckin finger off :laugh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People get funny about it and yes i'd rather the dog marked by having a sniff, or as some do by freezing and staring. Terriers are prone to digging and that aint great, but you take what you get. You

A dog that marked "correctly" wouldn't be high on my list when buying or breeding to be honest.....as long as it marked true wouldn't really care how.People are a little too occupied with perfection..

Posted Images

I try not to direct her too much :thumbs:

I agree with that 100% :yes: I've been out with lads who constantly call a dog back to a hole once they've moved on from it. :doh: Drives me dull because all they're doing is teaching the dog bad habits.. :yes: One thing you don't want is a dog that will false mark at any old hole. They've got a far better idea of what's going on down there than we have, no matter how likely looking the hole.. :yes::thumbs:

Don't praise for marking as well cos it can encourage false marks etc. Exposure is the only teacher and maybe another dog.

Agreed :thumbs:

:wallbash:

I agree with that 100% :yes: I've been out with lads who constantly call a dog back to a hole once they've moved on from it. :doh: Drives me dull because all they're doing is teaching the dog bad habits.. :yes: One thing you don't want is a dog that will false mark at any old hole. They've got a far better idea of what's going on down there than we have, no matter how likely looking the hole.. :yes::thumbs:

Don't praise for marking as well cos it can encourage false ma :whistling: rks etc. Exposure is the only teacher and maybe another dog.

no chance of praising the dog for marking it dont fecking mark :wallbash:

Don't praise for marking as well cos it can encourage false ma :whistling: rks etc. Exposure is the only teacher and maybe another dog.

He marked that day you came out with me,granted only once but its a start.And you've got the perfect training ground on our doorstep fella and you can borrow a stinker anytime.......or do I need to come to hold your hand :tongue2:

He marked that day you came out with me,granted only once but its a start.And you've got the perfect training ground on our doorstep fella and you can borrow a stinker anytime.......or do I need to come to hold your hand :tongue2:

nice one borrow one tommorrow got nets and a box :thumbs: aswell oh and can i have a worker if i need anything else i wont hesitate too ask :laugh:

nice one borrow one tommorrow got nets and a box :thumbs: aswell oh and can i have a worker if i need anything else i wont hesitate too ask :laugh:

:laugh::thumbs:

i am sure many people would like a dog which marks without putting its head down a hole paw up etc. i owned a saluki lurcher which marked like that.my present dog a beddie puts his head down the hole and he stays there till i net up.he has not let me down yet. as long as your dog marks true and does not false mark be happy with it.no one will own the perfect dog someone will always find fault with it.get out there enjoy yourself work the dog.

i dont own lurchers now lads but i did own a 1st cross collie greyhound that marked different quarry in different ways he would do the classic stand back treatment front paw up at a rabbit set [100% bunny at home] or at a fox he would creep around the holes give me a look then walk away 20 ft and not move an inch [best dog i ever owned for foxes] if we were ratting it was a totally different story he would bite the ground and no matter how much you[ chastised] him he would just keep comming back to dig and bite hole mind you he was a good ratter as he got older he got brainier to the point that lamping bunnies was a no no as he wouldnt chase owt near fences or hedge rows but kill a fox or two he most certanly could

saw several first cross collie greyhounds tiol with fast rabits the greyhound whippet in them produces a lighter faster animal and for some reason the bit whippet makeds thenm feiry and good retreivers etc saw dogs of this ilk win feild trails and work on all sorts of qaurry , saw some good first cross colie greyhounds to but for just rabbiting some of these collie grews could hit bolters like no tommorow

id be happy for my dog too mark at all hes a russell and hunts and flushes in cover but when it comes too holes he sniffs and fecks off even when there occupied :icon_eek: any ideas on how too get him marking. lurchers the same though shes always been a lamping dog so not too bothered about her but the russell wats his story lol. :thumbs:

Take him out a bit feckin more :tongue2:

on a serious note is there any tried and tested ways of getting a dog too mark or do some just not grasp it atb meg :thumbs:

Stick your finger up its bum :thumbs:

lol watch i dont stick my finger up your bum goldilocks and stay off my mountain

:laugh: I'll set my ferrets on you :yes: