weird x

hi all i have a mate who is a game keeper and owns a pointer x lab works well with flushing and retrieves the shot stuff well i myself own a bed/whip x bed/grey 22tts very rough coated takes all quarry apart from the pigs day and night fur or feather and great in cover and hes asked me to put him over her and says he has friends who have already called for pups if the mating goes ahead but im little scepticle on what they would be like, what do you think

Edited by gizmo88

The pointer/labs are good working dogs, I cant see how a lurcher x will be any good though as they will be too slow for a lurcher, but also probably loose a lot of the pointing and gundog instincts too. Be a rough n ready hunting dog no doubt, your mates better off putting a good pointer/lab or GW pointer over her in my opinion.

Agree with the above.

The Lab x Pointer will be a handy dog, they are becoming popular and i know a few wont go passed them as all round versatile Gundogs and the Beddy Lurcher is without doubt a excellent and popular hunting machine.

But putting them together, all i can say is why?, what are you trying to gain from this, each parent is possibly a very good working dog in its field but how will they complement each other and which field will the pups belong to?

Other than Gundogs i am also into Lurchers and i like a nice cross breed like the above parents of this potential litter, but in my opinion these pups will be Mongrels and i dare say half the litter could end up in the pound.

Please think long and hard before committing yourself.

Dave.

Agree with the above.

The Lab x Pointer will be a handy dog, they are becoming popular and i know a few wont go passed them as all round versatile Gundogs and the Beddy Lurcher is without doubt a excellent and popular hunting machine.

But putting them together, all i can say is why?, what are you trying to gain from this, each parent is possibly a very good working dog in its field but how will they complement each other and which field will the pups belong to?

Other than Gundogs i am also into Lurchers and i like a nice cross breed like the above parents of this potential litter, but in my opinion these pups will be Mongrels and i dare say half the litter could end up in the pound.

Dave.

being honest ive asked him myself the same questions as i said im little nervous to how the end result would fair but he said he loves his lab/pointer but would something a little faster for the odd rabbit here and there but could still do its primary role aS a gun dog, there would be little waste as he wants 2 pups out of her and two other mates want one and he offered me one as a stud fee but i said he could line her for free but being honest not my cup of tea rest will be given away.

Agree with the above.

Dave.

being honest ive asked him myself the same questions as i said im little nervous to how the end result would fair but he said he loves his lab/pointer but would something a little faster for the odd rabbit here and there but could still do its primary role aS a gun dog, there would be little waste as he wants 2 pups out of her and two other mates want one and he offered me one as a stud fee but i said he could line her for free but being honest not my cup of tea rest will be given away.

please dont do it lad we have enough mongrels running about with out any more just my tuppence worth

id tend to agree- pups could end up lab/bedlington ,pointer /whippet or any other possible weird combination of ancestors.A full pointer would be a better choice if you do intend to go down that road..I think labrodor blood would bring too much bulk to a 22 inch bitch.