Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP) camo clothing

zini

Hi lads :thumbs: ,

I was just wondering if anyone of you has got or tried the new Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP) camo clothing yet, and have tried it out when hunting. :hmm:

We have it in the Regiment and the lads use it in Afghan and say its really good :thumbs: .

The idea is for it to fill a gap that our old camo (DPM) has against lighter greens and other lighter colors.

Here is a link to hearing all about it.

I would be interested to hear your comments and hearing your thoughts and hunting experiences with it.

Si.

Edited by zini

hi si

i have not used it yet but sure looks class :thumbs:

Ive used the old style dmp before kindly getting given a pair of real tree trousers and i got a real top now :thumbs:

is that what you were now buddy?

looks like it would break your image down a hell of alot bud

atb steve

Hi Steve,

Yes I have this new Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP) at my disposal mate as well as my Real Tree suit, Disruptive Pattern Material (DPM) uniforms and German army uniform patterns.

I find all the older patterns to be good and I have had good results with them all.

I’ve not tried the new MTP yet though for hunting.

I think that it will be very good in early spring when the new leaves are starting to form and grow on the trees.

I think that it will do well from a static hunting point of view, sat over a warren at 25 to 35 metres, but if the location is right and the wind is in your face, down to maybe 15 to 20 metres with a face veil on and camo gloves.

When I static hunt I like to be level with the middle of the warren at my zero range of 25 metres, this gives me a slight hold over to the edges of the warren and to the back of the warren with no hold under to think about unless the bunny come running towards me straight on.

Obviously this cant always be achieved so I do shoot at a longer range if required, but generally I take the shorter range shots at 25 to 35 metres to guarantee a better chance of hitting the rabbit cleanly.

Last year while at Johns (Gurtwurz’s) permission, I static hunted first from one end of a field in the bottom corner, over and onto a rabbit warren to my 2 o’clock position and shot a bunny at 56 metres near its warren with my .22 calibre HW97KT springer.

Later I thought why the hell I’m I shooting this far when I can just go closer to the warren on the other side of the field and shoot them easier.

I moved closer and sat with my camo gear on and DPM hat and shot about another 5 or 6 bunnies from 25 metres out to maybe 35.

Slow movements, wind in my face and the camo all worked in my favour.

All this was caught on camera and It’s on Spring Rifle Vermin Control if I remember rightly.

It just goes to show that the old camo still works brilliantly as long as you move slow and keep yourself against a green back ground with the wind in your face.

Break a rule and you will be in trouble as the quarry will suss you out.

Si

Edited by zini

hi si

sweet,i did watch that video at thought i was great :thumbs:

i tend you use my real tree had and gloves and trousers but tonight i get to use my real tree coat for the first time :thumbs:

if this rain keeps up then i will wear my dpm poncho depends on the forecast but will take it just incase,

i find the Flecktarn clothing also brilliant as ste showed me when we were at the cricket club he was at the bottom and i found it hard to see him with the flecktarn on.

atb steve

Yep all patterns will work mate, that’s for sure.

People just need to remember that camouflage isn’t a magical Star Trek Klingon cloaking device that when worn makes you invisible to quarry.

It as its advantages for stealth and is better than pink and yellow t-shirts etc when you are trying to blend in to a back ground.

Scent and movement also need to be taken into consideration.

Si

• Like 1

hi si, i havent used mtp yet buddy, but i tried some multicam trousers last year at the end of the summer and they worked a treat in the dry grass, seemed very effective while the ground was more yellow than green, and i suspect that mtp will be even better, especially in fields like where you were shooting from on the farm buddy- incidentally, i've sussed all the boundarys there now and theres about 300 acres to play in, if you fancy poppin over again mate!

all the best, wurz

edited to say- love the dinner suit mate-very james bond :thumbs:

Edited by gurtwurz

Hi John,

Yes mate I would love another go in the summer at that warren buddy.

With the sun shining down and the warm air blowing by i cant think of anything better pal :thumbs:

I need to get some rabbits any way on the new DVD, as Davy is the only one with the rabbits.

I want to try out my tuned R10 on them now to see if I can nail a few with my pcp this time instead of the springer.

You have such a mint permission i envy you buddy.

Ive already sorted accommodation in Brighton mate as a pal of mine has a house there and he and his mate (Dan Murdoc) knows you and your work partner Scrow

You have done some of Dans tattoos.

My mate has a house on Channel View Road and his name is Jay Ireland.

No expensive guest houses this time buddy :toast:

ATB

Si.

Edited by zini

no problem si mate, and if the wind's more obliging this time we'll get up the valley cos that should be heaving with rabbits come summer, should be able to get some good footage, and it might be of interest from a hold over/under perspective as the valley sides are pretty steep. theres also a couple of warrens that are active on the bottom of the valley with little cover near em so from a long range perspective that might suit you buddy.

cheers mate, john

Sounds like a plan mate.

Some 50 and 55's would look cool on the DVD and I love the hold under idea on the steep sides both up and down.

That would be a good demo on scope camera for hold under shooting up and down a incline.

See you in August then buddy.

Si

Edited by zini

Interesting vid that, and the first time I've heard anyone in the British army own up to the fact that the camouflage pattern is as much about image as about concealment!

The old DPM is great stuff, one of the better camouflage patterns about at the moment. I don't think that the new pattern will make a great deal of difference in terms of concealment, but it'll look smart, and that's most of what the uniform is about.

I don't think the colour of the camouflage is so important, even when the colour is vastly different from the background (how many orange trees do you see in the jungle, and yet tiger camouflage is VERY effective!) it's all about breaking up the readily recognisable outlines.

As for hunting and camouflage, the rabbits/(insert your favourite quarry here) don't care whether you're wearing the latest hi tech cammo, or tatty old army surp DPM, or even venerable tweeds, it's all about the field craft. A DPM can assist you, but it's like diet foods, "helps rabbit hunting as part of a controlled approach".

Still, as someone said, it probably means there'll be a huge surge of cheap DPM stuff hitting the market as the MOD replace it all.

Who would have thought that the middle of one of the biggest financial crises in modern times would have been a good time to spend millions changing the army's "corporate image" eh? ;)

Camo and field craft, wheter in a theatre of war, or on a bunny boppin excercise is very useful :yes:

I think the new MT camo will indeed work well across ALL types of terrain. Not to Dark to stick out like a sore thumb nor to light to do likewise.

Woodland DPM would shout "Oiy, here we are" in the desert, Sand Camo would do similar in the Jungle of Borneo as well.

A blend of both will (IMHO) minimise the ability for the enamy to spot you wherever you are.

Most of our quarry, if not all, see in either Monochrome (shades of grey) or (as in woodies) in the ultraviolate spectrum.

In the case of mono, then darker colours will stand out (especially if fast movement is present) against say a 'golden harvest field'

The lighter colours of desert DPM will stand out more if used against foliages such as woodland (again movement helps the quarry out).

Give it a 50/50 blend and I reckon, the quarry (or enamy) will find it just that little harder to detect :yes: and thats what camo is all about.

Limiting what can be seen. Not hiding (thats down to Concealment).

Phantom